ADVERTISEMENT

1A Title Poll

I'm going to take the field on this one. I think the field's best bet is going to be from Montesano or Nooksack Valley. Maybe even Mt. Baker. Those are the teams I think may have a chance. They will have to prove they can be multidimensional though.

Not until Friday I suppose. I have a lot of friends in the Royal area I like to antagonize. It just seems to make them tougher to beat.

So your just trying to get them worked up? Ill take the Knights
It's a very Royal-centric class right now. The thing I love about the Knights is offensively they do more than anyone else in the state in terms of formations. They always have a trick or two up the sleeve, and they play fast and physical defense. I just want to see who is going to compete with them and why they'll be competitive. Especially with the new playoff seeding system. We'll be seeing some different match ups, longer drives, new opponents. They are the target, let's distinguish the marksmen shooting at it.

This biggest downside to 1a football is the fact that most teams don't have the depth in the school to play both a running and passing game. 95% of the teams play a running game which works until you find a team that will stop the run, then we have a different game. When a team has the run and pass option, they are havoc on either the backers or the secondary. Royal plays of the weak side of teams then shifts to the strong side when they start cheating. I call that good coaching. Not sure what is in store for next year when there isn't a Jenks at the helm.

So you mentioned Montesano, NV or Mt. Baker. What about those three potentially gives them the edge in your opinion.

Well Montesano is coming off beating a 3A Shelton team 51-6. Now, how good is Shelton? Probably terrible. Montesano is also the last team to beat Royal inside the Dome. They're generally a tough, blue collar group of kids who won't be an easy out. Last time they made it that far they had a passing game to compliment their double wing offense and were able to move it back into shotgun and get yards through the air. I'm teetering a little on Nooksack Valley because of how young their roster is and we'll get more of a feel where they are at when they play King's tonight. In regards to Mt. Baker it is one of those offenses that is hard to imitate throughout the week with the scout team and generally takes a little time to adjust to so if they get a jump in the first couple possessions and play keep away it could be tough to beat the Mounties. Although Lynden seemed to be able to break through. Also the last team to beat Royal, being Colville, was able to do that with a physical and big offensive line. Now, this is where Royal can turn this all on it's head. The Knights are big and physical on the offensive and defensive line. They manhandled a large Othello offensive unit. Now, we won't know for sure what's in store seeing as Connell couldn't seem to get it right against Othello and Okanogan didn't look great against Warden. Those are the "big name" games left on Royal's schedule. The Knights are very good and it's going to take an impressive effort to match them in the trenches.

ADVERTISEMENT