ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Colfax, hates ta brag but I gots ta brag

col-pul

Nov 27, 2003
Wow, what a run Bulldogs!

Napavine is a great team that played outstanding defense. I was surprised to see that they averaged about 60 pts but didn’t have a scorer averaging in double figures. That’s team ball, deep team ball. The Tigers return a lot and have a long history of producing even better replacements to whatever they lose. It wouldn't surprise me to see them back on Saturday after a tough fight in maybe the strongest 2B girls BB league. I was impressed with their never say die attitude, they left it all on the floor this tournament and they may not have won the championship but they did earn a lot of respect from at least one Colfax fan. For accuracy you should change your mascot from Tiger to Warriors so opponents know what they’re getting into. Congratulations on a great season.

Colfax, what can you say; the greatest dynasty in this state’s history in any sport boys or girls in any classification at it’s height. The numbers are mind boggling. 12 consecutive state appearances, 11 consecutive trophies (6 x 1st; 2 x 2nd, 2 x 4th & 1 x 7th), 9 straight years as the best or second best team in your division (both 4th place trophies Brewster and Lynden X‘tian won the championship easily after playing Colfax and Colfax was also not again seriously challenged), made 7 of the last 9 championship games, 6 of the last 8championships, 5 of the last six championships, record four straight championships including an all classification record 19 game state tournament wining streak, 33-3 at state over the last nine seasons, 23-1 over the last 6, over the last nine tournaments 26 wins by 10+ pts (11 by 20+) and no double digit losses, average margin the last nine years at state +15 pts/game ,…. The lore you’ve built: lost by 2 in double OT against Brewster in ‘03 in what many consider the greatest 1A tournament game ever, beat Freeman by 9 in what is probably the greatest championship upset of the last 50 years in 1A at least, fighting through crazy 2007 draw against ranked teams #8 Seattle X‘tian, #5 Naches, #2 Lynden X‘tian & #1 Kings… And remember Colfax has done this all but this year in 1A with no significant transfers fluctuating in attendance level between one of the smallest 1A schools and 2B size.

There are some great teams that have made great runs over two, three or even four years, take the Brewster Boys of the mid-70s or Lynden Christian girls of the early 80s, but can anyone think of a pound for pound more impressive dynasty in Washington State high school sports history?

Then this year, four huge wins in a row by a total of 218 to 127, that’s an average score of 54.5 to 31.75. Including a pair of 21 pt wins in the semifinals and finals. I don’t know that I’ve seen a more dominating state performance boys or girls any class. Four teams threw everything they had at you and weren’t able to be even competitive. Considering not only the total score but that no game was really in question after the first period and the dominance with which you went about your business I’m not sure this isn’t the greatest tournament team pound for pound any class boys or girls. This isn’t at all to disparage the competition, they didn’t suddenly get worse, but illustrate just what quality you’ve built.

You are big time because you play big time in the big time!

And the future looks bright. A strong freshman class (and down the line 8th and 7th grade class) added to a team that returns not only the best player in 2B but your top three scorers and 78% of your offense, outstanding defense, both height and speed, quickness and athleticism, and a class of juniors with 12 games of state experience. You also can call on a reserve of tradition, experience and attitude about business, not to mention one of the great coaching staffs, program support structures and community support.

Hey Burr, remember last year when you were telling me on Preps that LaSalle was better because they beat Colfax in an early January game and I said if you wanted to impress me you have to beat Colfax in March; see what I mean now?
This post was edited on 3/8 3:03 PM by col-pul

ADVERTISEMENT