ADVERTISEMENT

Early Observations and rankings

2old4this

Dec 3, 2005
After spending my Christmas break watching games all over the state I feel more compelled to share some observations of what I've seen so far.

First of all, it may be the most wide open I have seen 1A basketball in a long time. There are 10-12 teams I feel have a legit shot at being crowned a champion come March. It is going to be a fun ride for 1A fans the next 2 months.

Here are my rankings and why.

1. Toledo- Kalama fans I know you had early season success vs Toledo but this team is built for the post season. They are big, versatile and well coached. They may lack some outside shooting overall but I see them as a favorite if they can keep their bigs healthy.

2. Cedar Park Christian- although I may lean toward Cascade Christian when it matters most in the dome, I see Cedar park being the team to beat in the Nisqually. Good big man and depth at guard. Two "go to type players" plus nice depth. It may be problematic when playoff time comes and they have not been there before. But right now a force to be reckoned with.

3. Zillah- Will Slack return early enough to get the chemistry back? Zillah has the swagger, depth and quickness to go deep into the post season. I question their lack of size and strength of schedule but watching them this weekend sure did not hinder them in those areas.

4. Lynden Christian- Defending champ returns player of the year Reimer who really has not got on track yet. They have struggled defensively in conference play and will not have a great record coming into post season due to the tough regular season schedule. I still see them being very scary come post season and have a hard time voting against them. Have size and depth and a boat load of shooters. If they figure out the defense they could win it again. Built and coached for March.

5. Seattle Academy- In my opinion the most talented team in the 1A ranks. Fast, deep and skilled. They have shown they can play with anyone already but will have a hard time getting better in such a bad conference. Their success will depend on whether they can play " the big game" and up their level of play coming off an easy January.

6. Kalama- Another mega talented team who can play and beat any of the teams listed above on a given night when they shoot it well. Just ask Toledo. These guys are good. Will they be able to compete in a smash mouth play off game vs Toledo late in the year. This will be the test.

7. Cashmere- Some will argue I know but I saw them play LC over Christmas and heard they played Sehome tough too. They can hurt you inside and out and have been there before which I believe will set them apart from Okanogan, Brewster, and Chelan come postseason.

8. King's- Young, brash and talented. Have to prove themselves in the post season. While Meridian and LC are playing really good 2A and 3A teams, King's is playing Coupeville, South Whidbey, Granite Falls, and Lakewood. Not quite the same for post season preparation. I think King's can beat anyone. We will see how consitant they will be.

9. Meridian- Looked good in the Sun Dome against some good teams. Seem a little up and down and not at LC's level, but will be ready just because of their tough schedule. They will be the best 500 team in the post season for sure.

10.Cascade Christian- I still think they will be one of the toughest teams in the state come 6 weeks from now. Right now they struggle to score and teams shoot better in small gyms. No depth will cost them but 6-11 is 6-11.
Wow that kid is long.

others in the hunt

Okanogan, Chelan, Brewster, Seattle Christian, Vashon, Naches Valley, Friday Harbor

Like I said , Very wide open. I have not made it over to Spokane so sorry to the NEA for not including you.

Fans of each school will argue for your team and you will be right. One could argue for about 12 teams to be the Champ!

Man, excellent post. Thanks for sharing your observations. I haven't travelled around the State, but I've watched alot of games. Reimer played much better the second night of the LC Tournament, although it was not against a tough opponent. They do have a budding star in sophmore point guard Daulton Hommes.
I particularly appreciated your comments regarding Cashmere. I've been wondering where tey might fit in the big picture. I was impressed with the way they played at the LC Tournament. Dylan Boyd is an excellent point guard. Coleman McElroy and Jordan Christianson also played well. They gave themselves a chance in both games.

Great post 2old! Enjoyed reading your insight on the teams in the state. I would have to agree with you that King's and other schools with weaker conference play schedules will no be nearly as prepared as Meridian and LC with the tough conference play that they face on a night in night out basis.

Agree with chuckles. I think you could invert the top 6 and have a just as valid ranking, there's that much parity.

Thanks guys. You are correct in saying you could invert the top grouping and argue for it that way. The next few weeks will iron out the contenders and pretenders.

I remember last year being this way as well and it came down to who played well at the right time and got some bounces of the ball. I see it the same way this year.

As for Cashmere and their league, Cashmere was downed by Quincy. Quincy was beat by Brewster. Okanogan is in the line up I see. That league may be a tough one. And coming up, Brewster I think plays Okanogan on Thurs. And Chelan on Friday. And Chelan plays Cashmere on Thurs. Could be a couple great nights of Caribou League play. Not sure what Quincy is doing. Might be an easy weekend for them.

In Wednesday night action:
#2 "force to be reckoned with/have not been there before" - 81
#10 "when it matters most in the dome/toughest teams in the state come 6 weeks from now" - 43

It was a great night for Cedar Park. They are really good. Can't wait to see how they are come February when it really matters. Peaking now does not help for post season.

Cascade Christian struggled throughout the season last year too only to almost win their 3rd straight title.

I am with Warrant3 are we missing your point?

I was not really trying to make a particular point, other than adding a bit of humor as I think your analysis appears to be spot on. I am trying to keep my posts to reporting versus commentary as it is still early in the season and I'm the first to admit lack of expertise. The community here has a lot of both wisdom and perspective and I am enjoying all of your comments. I've been posting CPC updates to help everybody to get to know some of the talented players since this has not been a program with a long post season record or much hoops visibility. Since I am heading back to work after the holiday break, you will probably see fewer posts from me, but I will try to keep the ranking thread updated.

"I am trying to keep my posts to reporting versus commentary"

..........the fact the you conveniently referred to CPC and CC as simply #2 and #10............was actually adding commentary. Reporters are not afraid to uses proper names.......

You can pimp your own team every once in a while. CPC is a very exciting team watch. The players, coaches and fans are very high intensity. Dribble, pass, shoot and play defense with confidence (and swagger - dunk to end the game). Last night, they looked like a state championship-type team.

R23

That makes sense. CPC and its community has lots to be proud of. I hope to see them in Yakima.

ADVERTISEMENT