ADVERTISEMENT

Time for you lurkers to register and post

FilmDoesn'tLie

Oct 11, 2012
Please take just a minute to register with a username and password so you can contribute to this community. Every non-spam post on this message board gets many hundreds of views, so we know you all are out there. The Superbowl is over, so its time to get busy talking about 1A hoops for the next 30 days.

Somehow, despite not having the most up to date technology as a social media service, our collection of 1A boys fans ended up here on this message board. (If you know of a more active 1A community out there, please let us curmudgeons know about it. Perhaps it is the semi-anonymous nature and specific focus on hoops that makes this a popular place over other services.) It seems, the majority of 1A programs in this state do not benefit from frequently published sports coverage that gets into too much detail. There are a lot of 1A players and programs that deserve to get talked about. Those who are actively posting only represent a fraction of the programs out there.

If you have seen a 1A game this year, you are qualified to post here and so longs as you're not a player or a coach, we'd love to hear about the gifted athletes in a game you have watched. I did not know much at all about the 1A level of play when I arrived here and still am learning a ton. Even if you can just post a score, link an article or ask a question, it will help this to be a better place and we will treat you with respect and value your perspective and ask you do the same for others.

I cannot speak for the others, but having this community really enhances my experience of watching the teams that make it to the SunDome, allowing me to get an earlier preview of the teams and what it took to get there. Plus, there are a lot of great athletes and games that are not represented in those final 8. You are coming to visit, so settle in and take part as we finish out the season. We look forward to hearing from you and hope we can grow this community so every 1A program in Washington State is represented.

FDL

For those interested the Vashon Pirates play against Bellevue Christian tonight on Vashon. The Voice of Vashon an internet radio station will broadcast the game, boys at 5 and the girls at 7.
The website is www.voiceofvashon.org click on listen live and the game should come up.
We will have one more broadcast next Tuesday for the Eatonville game and then hope to do all Pirate playoff games in the Tri-District.

Vashon beat Bellevue Christian 66 to 40. Andy Sears won his 210th game of his coaching career placing him #1 all time in victories at Vashon High School for Basketball. Congratulations Andy!

Can you fill in some fans that do not know your basketball history, which coach he overtook? Coach Sears seems to have reached this milestone pretty fast. Great commentary and play by play on your stream by the way.

voice of vashon

Long time teacher, coach and A.D. Doug Kloke had 209 Boys Basketball victories.
Vashon High School opened it's doors in the fall of 1929 at its current location. The Basketball team won two Tri-County League Championships in the 1940's, and one Olympic League Championship in the 70's, no state placings.
Under Gary Shaplow who was coach in the late 1990's, for 3 or 4 years, the Pirates won a Nisqually League Championship and got their first state placing at 6th in '99.
Andy Sears (VHS Alumnus) is now in his 13th season at Vashon. He has 6 Nisqually League Championships and 3 state placings, including the 2009 State Championship.

Teams will play four abbreviated 2 minute quarters on 2/15 at a neutral site... Ha, just kidding. I'm making fun of the football tiebreakers. If I got to choose, I'd make it quick and just have Jeffery Sutherland have to prove his amazing H.O.R.S.E. shot at Seattle Christian. :)

Seriously, we should petition to get the tie breaker game played at MLT in a slot the same date of the District 1 championship. That would be an awesome night of basketball!

ADVERTISEMENT