ADVERTISEMENT

1A pre season rankings

YakiMan

Feb 21, 2012
Three weeks until spring sports begin. I thought it was a good time to put togther preseason rankings. Let me know what you think. Rhinofighter always does a great job with the rankings. My rankings are based on last season's results and the returners coming back.

1A Pre-Season Rankings

#1 Montesano-There is a lot to be excited about in Monte. They bring back a bunch of talent led by WSU signee & pitcher Layne Brunner. Catcher Tucker Ibabao, Infielder Shad Rogers and Outfielder Elliott Mendenhall are all returning 1st teamers from the Evergreen league.

#2 Naches Valley-They have been to the Final Four five out of the last 6 seasons. They reload every year. They bring back some quality arms in Koleman Johns, Cam Walker, and Ben Wells. Expect to see them in Yakima in late May.

#3 Kalama- They've made it to Yakima 3 out of the last 5 years. They look to be the most experienced team in the Trico League. Power arm Austin Lien and team leader Tanner Vossen will attempt to lead the Chinooks to their 6th straight league title.

#4 Meridian-Looking to make it back to Yakima for the 4th straight season in 2013. They will be well coached like always and much more experienced this season led by their arms on the mound Richter & Brockman.

#5 Chewelah-The will be favorite to win the NEA led by returning 1st team all leaguers Caleb Weibe and Derek Smith. High expectations for the Cougars.

#6 Toledo-They will attempt to knock off Kalama at the top of the Trico League. They are led by LHP (UW Signee) Mack Gaul. If they can give Gaul some run support and get some other guys to step up they have a decent shot of making it to Yakima.

#7 Hoquiam-They went on a nice run last season before losing a close game to Meridian in the Regional final. They bring back their ace on the mound, Sammy Lowder. They also bring back a very experienced and talented catcher in Ronnie Espedal.

#8 Cashmere-Defending State Champs. They have been in Yakima 3 out of the last 4 years. They graduated much of last year's team, but they have re-loaded before. I would not bet against them. Good programs win.

#9 Royal-Great season in 2012. Lost a tough game to eventual state champs (Cashmere) in the first round of state. They bring back a solid core in Montoya (catcher), Christiansen, and Wescott. Look for them to win the SCAC East.

#10 Cascade-They have finished in 2nd place in the Caribou Trail League behind Cashmere the last 3 seasons. The Kodiaks bring back a lot of talent and must feel that this is the year they can knock off the defending champs. They return one 1st teamer and three 2nd teamers.

I think most of these are right on besides cashmere. Cashmere is a top four team. alot of young talent and a stud trasnfer never hurts.

Yakiman-nice. That's a ton of great info that can at times be difficult to find. Good work.

#1[/B] Monte They're going to have a bad taste in their mouth after last year and Brunner is for real.

#2 Naches Valley is also in my opinion right where they should be. Coach Walker has his guys ready every year and has a ton of returning talent.

#3 Kalama is again loaded up the middle with arguably the best catcher in the state behind the dish in Vossen, a very good guy on the bump in Lien, a returning all-leaguer at shortstop and a 2nd team pitcher that would have been all-league had he not been Kalama's #4 on last year's rotation. However, Coach Hiatt and Coach Hiatt Sr. aren't returning which could have an impact.

#4 Meridian [/B]Yeah, [/B]what you said. Coach Slesk will have his kids ready and they're regular season schedule tends to be brutal which bodes well for the post season.

#5 Cashmere [/B]I have too much respect for Coach Carlson to go any lower than 5th. Not to mention that the Bulldogs are 39-1 over the course of their last 40 games…oh yeah and the defending state champions.

#6 Toledo[/B] The Indians will be capable of beating any team in the 1A when Gaul pitches but as you know it takes two slingers to get through Regionals. I think the Indians tie for 5th in state this year.

#7 Royal [/B]Lots to build on from last year and potentially could throw an upset-haymaker at Cashmere this year at Regionals. However, for now, I'll say they win the SCAC East and lose the winner to state game.

#8 Hoquiam [/B]Great group of athletes going through Hoquiam right now. Came up a game/pitcher short last year otherwise they might have been facing Cashmere for the title. Their ace is tough and might have given Naches all they wanted in the semis, but again, it takes at least two pitchers. Does Hoquiam have a #2?

#9 Chewelah[/B] I don't know a whole lot about Chewelah. I'm basing this solely on Yakiman's recommendation.

#10 Tenino[/B] I was a huge believer in them last year only to watch them get bounced from the district tournament. Elam is a terrific coach, the Harris kid is tough and many of their kids will still remember what it took to play for a state title a couple years ago.

I've always said, I know more about the west side teams, but I will further say that District 4 is overflowing with baseball talent this year. Watch out for Woodland they're a 2012 2A with a bunch of talent that dropped down and La Center was young last year but still split with league champion Kalama and finished 2nd in the Trico. In the Evergreen, Coach Striegel's Warriors should never be underestimated and Rainier's ace will give teams fits all year long.Dist. 1/2/3 Chimacum loses a ton but tradition can go a long way. Cedar Park Christian will be tough and was fairly young last year. Charles Wright could be a surprise and I fully expect Coach Nasinec to have Orting ready to go. They were young last year and still managed to do some post season damage.

I didn't know that Cashmere had a transfer. I saw on their team website that they had a successful summer though. I don't expect them to make it back to Yakima. Looking at their roster from last spring they had 10 seniors. All their pitchers were seniors. I put them in the top 10 because they are the defending champs. But they will have a lot to prove.

My surprise team from the East side will be Highland. They have a real solid group led by Taylor Logan. Interested to hear what Brewster has? I noticed a lot of baseball names on their basketball team: Like Taylor & Driessen, Anyone know anything about them? Orting went up to 2A this year.

The transfer is a pitcher. supposidly a strong arm and a great bat. Cashmere had a lot of young talent that got little playing time due to the senior class. Wouldn't shock me at all too see them playing in yakima again this year.

Highland might be able to put together a solid season they return most of thier starters from a young team last year that made districts. Besides Logan they return Trey Trepanier , Ike Mitchum , team leading hitter and pitcher Parker Stohr , Kanay Soderstrom , Wyatt Peckman , Arron Baughman all starters last year. They have some talent and some expierence will be interesting to see if they can put it together.

ADVERTISEMENT