ADVERTISEMENT

2A Playoffs

MODS: Mo Wagner

We're all assuming that he would not have come to Michigan to RS in his first year as he could be getting paid right now overseas. But maybe it would be a good thing for him to get up to speed on the academics for a year, and put on some weight/muscle while watching for a year. Any chance that is the direction this goes?

Tough to find minutes at the four, and Coach B has always said unless the guy is going to play 15 or so minutes then he might as well redshirt. That was his stance on Donnal two years ago and Wilson this year

Although we're all still down on Donnal, he still has three years left - I am excited to see how he progresses - this might turn into one of those things where he really blossoms, and we're left saying, wow imagine if he didn't have that 5th year and instead played a few minutes here or there as a true freshman

Re: MODS: Mo Wagner

It wouldn't surprise me if he redshirted (assuming he's willing). He's very slight of stature at this point, and there's often a bit of culture shock going from a European setting to an American university in terms of academics, etc. The plan is probably for him to play right away if he's ready, but it could be beneficial for a redshirt, as well.

I was thinking about this. We missed on TJ Leaf in the 2016 class, however I feel like Wagner is basically the same player. Tim. accurate? kinda? not really?

It depends on how he adapts once he gets here. If he's good enough, he'll play.

He does want to play right away, but he also acknowledges there are huge differences between the Euro and American games. And he still has to get through admissions.

CB
Originally posted by SOHOAFFAIR:
We're all assuming that he would not have come to Michigan to RS in his first year as he could be getting paid right now overseas. But maybe it would be a good thing for him to get up to speed on the academics for a year, and put on some weight/muscle while watching for a year. Any chance that is the direction this goes?

Tough to find minutes at the four, and Coach B has always said unless the guy is going to play 15 or so minutes then he might as well redshirt. That was his stance on Donnal two years ago and Wilson this year

Although we're all still down on Donnal, he still has three years left - I am excited to see how he progresses - this might turn into one of those things where he really blossoms, and we're left saying, wow imagine if he didn't have that 5th year and instead played a few minutes here or there as a true freshman

Donnal regressed significantly over the season and by the end of the year looked like a deer in the headlights. I don't see him getting much PT, and maybe a transfer would be in his best interest.

No reason for him the redshirt. He is not going to be here for 5 years.

Originally posted by GABLUE1:

No reason for him the redshirt. He is not going to be here for 5 years.
Well I think the redshirt question will answer itself based on how much of an impact he can make. No need to decide this now. Let him get here and see what he can do in beileins system
Posted from Rivals Mobile

comes down to whether (if) Kam or Wagner plays; Spike or MAAR plays; Wilson or Donnel plays.

playing: Walton/Caris + Spike or MAAR total 3
playing: Irvin/Dawkins/Robinson + Kam/Wagner ....one will sit, one MAY play....total 3
playing: Doyle + either Donnel/Wilson.....one sits ....total 2

Beilein MAYBE goes to nine........10 is out, unless he turns into somebody else.

There will be three guys who never play, who you think are "good" (Kam, MAAR, Donel/Wilson?)....but you probably won't think they're good, because they won't get looks......and this is all vs B1G competition; vs. the directional schools you will see the 10+ rotation.

Originally posted by northvineinc:

comes down to whether (if) Kam or Wagner plays; Spike or MAAR plays; Wilson or Donnel plays.

playing: Irvin/Dawkins/Robinson + Kam/Wagner ....one will sit, one MAY play....total 3

Beilein MAYBE goes to nine........10 is out, unless he turns into somebody else.

There will be three guys who never play, who you think are "good" (Kam, MAAR, Donel/Wilson?)....but you probably won't think they're good, because they won't get looks......and this is all vs B1G competition; vs. the directional schools you will see the 10+ rotation.
I think it's still too early to pencil Duncan Robinson into the regular rotation. Let's wait and see how he does at the D1 level under the lights. Not that I don't think he will be good, but there isn't any hard evidence that he will be better than Kam or Wagner by the time they hit B10 regular season

I'd take that bet. Beilein said it was the least of his concerns once he saw him shine in d 3 championships. And he's been a top three guy in practice.
Originally posted by acl1983:

I think it's still too early to pencil Duncan Robinson into the regular rotation. Let's wait and see how he does at the D1 level under the lights. Not that I don't think he will be good, but there isn't any hard evidence that he will be better than Kam or Wagner by the time they hit B10 regular season

Originally posted by ChrisBalas:
I'd take that bet. Beilein said it was the least of his concerns once he saw him shine in d 3 championships. And he's been a top three guy in practice.
Originally posted by acl1983:

I'm not saying that he won't be a starter or play starters minutes, it just seems like he's being penciled in before playing a single game. I remember hearing about Lavell Lucas-Perry being the next great Michigan PG from his practices when he transferred in, and obviously that never transpired.

Not a knock on Duncan, and I'm hoping he is one of the top 5 players on next year's team because it will mean that he's outplaying other guys who have already shown they are capable of playing at the B10 level. I would expect in the worst case scenario he would still be a situational player off the bench just based on his shooting ability.

I've given up on Donnal. At some point you have to have some competitive fire in your belly to play and contribute. If he was awkward but showed a fighting spirit, I'd have hope. He seems like the type of kid that would hand over his lunch money to the bully everyday. If there has to be attrition, I'd like to see Donnal's scholarship open up.

Wagner will play. When I talked to JB we went through all the players and all the potential recruits and the only one that he got animated and showed extreme delight was Robinson. He said he can flat out shoot it and is long and has good handle.

Originally posted by 711Arbor:
I've given up on Donnal. At some point you have to have some competitive fire in your belly to play and contribute. If he was awkward but showed a fighting spirit, I'd have hope. He seems like the type of kid that would hand over his lunch money to the bully everyday. If there has to be attrition, I'd like to see Donnal's scholarship open up.

Wow. A kid plays his first season in a tough conference and you are ready to call him a failure? Players develop differently. Sometimes the light comes on at different times. Happens in every program. Donnal could very well be a factor next year with another summer of lifting. Giving up on him after one season though is ridiculous. You give up on Jordan Morgan too?

Freshman year - 1.8ppg 1.4 rebounds
Sophmore year - 4.2ppg 1.8 rebounds

Senior year - Naismith POY

Good thing Wisconsin didn't give up on Kaminsky.

Posted by Blue_J: Wow. A kid plays his first season in a tough conference and you are ready to call him a failure? Players develop differently. Sometimes the light comes on at different times. Happens in every program. Donnal could very well be a factor next year with another summer of lifting. Giving up on him after one season though is ridiculous. You give up on Jordan Morgan too?

What about his RS year? I don't think he helps much.

And I could name 101 players with those same stats that never did anything. That's a terrible argument. And it's not about his skill set, it's about his demeanor.

And I could name 101 players with those same stats that never did anything. That's a terrible argument. And it's not about his skill set, it's about his demeanor.
It's a better argument than this.....

"He seems like the type of kid that would hand over his lunch money to the bully everyday."
[/B]

Here are the statewide matchups:

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/10/29/2152846/football-statewide-class-2a-regional.html

ADVERTISEMENT