ADVERTISEMENT

A random rant ...

DAWGTHIS

Jan 12, 2004
OK, here is my question:

Do any programs out there have a lot of underacheiving talent? I am talking about kids with solid skill and ability but coudn't think their way out of a wet paper sack?

To abuse an overused phrased:
Million dollar talent and a ten cent head.

I beleive that baseball is more mentally challenging than any of the "Big 3" sports (football, basketball, baseball)...There is more going on with every pitch than happens in an entire game of hoops or football...Don't come back at me with the "Smart Lineman/Quarterback" argument, I get it...
Further, I believe that how a player does in the classroom directly correlates to his ability to excel at the game at the high school level. (Perhaps pitchers and 1st basemen are excluded...Pitchers are pitchers and 1st baseman just piss me off in general)

We just had grade checks come out and the theory holds...It seems to be a total lack of effort as well as utter refusal to concentrate on the task at hand. Any moron can show up to a high school class, turn in assignments, keep their friggin' mouth shut and pull a C. If I ruled the world, I would require that a baseball player carry a C average...The limp-wristed attempts by the administrators to enforce the liberal policies regarding academics is laughable.
There is no more frustrating feeling for a coach than to have a team full of tool boxes with talent. If you cannot think you cannot win. I can fix a bad swing. I can fix bad throwing mechanics. Hell, I can fix self-esteem issues. I cannot, however, fix stupid. I am not saying that kids failing classes are special ed, all I am saying is that the effort put forth in the classroom is a good indicator as to how well a team will perform on the field. There are exceptions to every rule, but on the whole, a team full of dumb-asses will lose more often than they win regardless of physical ability...GET OFF THIS MESSAGE BOARD and go do your frickin' homework...You mental midgets!!! Anybody out there hear what I am saying..? Shoot, dang, spit, pink, fart!!!

Thanks for letting me rant...I feel better now...at least until Friday when I find out how many players we will lose to grades...little bastards...

If you are right about Richland being academically sound then that is the best stat I have seen in years.

Yes it is true that Richland was 4A state champions, and the Academic state champions as well with an average GPA of 3.7. Great job to those bombers, taking care of business on, and off the field.

Richland also won the 4A state basketball academic title while qualifying for their regional tournament.

OK, it's official...I have a woody for Richland. Thanks for proving my theory. Shall we say the theory is now fact with standard deviation of +/- 3.5%?

Hey, it's a beautiful day, let's play 2!!!!

Well, yes I think we can say for a fact that success in the classroom has a direct on how a team performs on the field.
Not to play the Devil's advocate, but just a little tid bit...Mead won the academic champioship in '04, '03, '01, and '00...they failed to make regionals in all four of those seasons. So I guess classroom success is a piece of the puzzle, but the full picture remains incomplete without those other parts.

Talent and drive to win help. I just figured that was a gimme. Thanks for your candid responses. You must be a coach or something close to that. I am a coach at Bellingham. I like to scan the boards as it is the only way to find out what is going on with the rest of state in terms of baseball. We are a bit out of the loop up here. We are only 90 miles from Seattle but most folks think we are in Timbuktu. Similarly, many folks up here don't realize that there is intelligent life outside Whatcom county. Funny how that works. The east siders are constantly fighting to be recognized and we are like a Turtle with its head pulled in up here. Oh well...Good luck to you this season. I can safely say that the Bellingham Red Raiders will not see you at Safeco...Perhaps as fans...

Take it easy,
Paul O'Breen
BHS Red Raider Baseball

Well, I'm not a coach or anything. I am a Southridge alumnus (Class of 2005) and just a observer who trys to stay as educated as possible in as many sports as possible. I love prep sports because to me, it is the sport in its purest form. Everyone is out there playing because they love the game, and play with an incredible amount of heart. You just gotta love it. And if you need any info on East-side sports, especially the Big 9, just post it up there, I'll do my best to get you some answers.

ADVERTISEMENT