ADVERTISEMENT

andrew whalen

no way i think hes got the most pure talent on the links ive ever seen.

OK, I'm lost - where is he from and was he the District's medalist and what did he shoot?
No one answered where he placed last year

I saw his name in the paper being from Ephrata. Shot 77 or 78 at Black Rock Creek at districts. Never seen him play, but he was about 10 strokes better then the rest of the field that day. Don;t know about last year. WIAA and the golf page may help you out.

WIAA page gives me an error message. Not being familiar with Black Rock Creek - is 77 par? Is he a Sr?

According to Yakima Herald it is a par 72
There are two qualifiers from the WCL that are 4 year state participants, there were 4 that shot under par to qualify and 7 that shot below a 77. All I'm saying is that he is going to have some tough competition. Thank goodness Gaston graduated.

The Yakima course should be an improvement as the District tournament in Snohomish had a 21+ hour rain delay.

Last year the east siders had a tough time in the rain. We on the east side this year hope for dry, hot and windy so the westies won;t know what hit them!

In all seriousness now, conditions do play a big part in the psyche of a player. The greens will be different, the grass will be different and there is a ton of walking at the Apple Tree, so kids may get a bit omre fatigued. I still think those boys from Hockinson were awful tough last year and should do well this year too.

Re: Hockinson

No question regarding Hockinson and Gaston, believe they won the last three years running and medalist too. Do you know how many they qualified for state or what their record is, I do know they beat Lynden the last two years in a row.

I think any golfer would be delighted to play in dry, hot and windy over soaking, cold and windy. Let's face it a players psyche can be upset by the beer girl, OH that's right no beer girls allowed. Doubt that walking is an issue but who knows......

Andrew Whalen - 6th

9 strokes behind the medalist - Rawitzer from Squalicum. Rawitzer was the 3A state medalist last year.

He shot a 64 the first day with Gerrit Chambers from Hockinson on his heels with a 66 now that's good golf - even if they weren't used to playing in the dry, hot and windy.

Lynden finally beat Hockinson for the boys title but only by 9 points and Burlington Edison took third. The NWL did well taking lst and 3rd in the 2A boys, 1st, 2nd, 5th and 9th in the 2A girls.

Thanks for letting me gloat for a minute.

ADVERTISEMENT