ADVERTISEMENT

AP All-State

Absolutely! All-around best player in 1A. First team safety and second team QB. Incredible work ethic.

(To be fair, I'm a little biased, but I definitely believe he deserves it.)

Fair enough...1st Team QB for Billy Green makes sense though...quite a combo with Caleb Taylor. Who is the heir apparent at QB for next year at King's?

Both Myrick and Green were outplayed by Matthew Jensen. Green will have struggles at the next level. Especially when BYU brings in other QB's that have similiar or better skills and the competition is present on a daily basis.

What skills DOESN'T Green have to be successful at the next level?

Sure, there is tough competition at the next level, but the kid is pretty darn good.

Myrick: 67.1 completion % (104 for 155 for 1820 yards) 15.1 pass attempts per game for 182 YPG, 17.5 yards per completion, 23 td's with 3 INT's (1 td for every 6.7 pass attempts), 138.4 qb rating, 81 rushes for 741 yards and 13tds (9.15 yards per carry and 74.1 per game)
Total offense: 236 touches for 2561 yards (10.85 yards per touch) 36 td's (1 td per 6.5 touches) 23 touches per game and 256.1 yards per game

Green: 64.8 completion %(197 for 304 for 3,006 yards) 27.6 pass attempts per game for 250 YPG , 15.26 yards per completion, 46 td's with 6 INT's (1 td for every 6.6 pass attempts) 128.6 qb rating, 81 rushes for 433 yards and 6 td's ( 5.35 yards per carry and 36.1 per game)
Total offense: 385 touches for 3439 yards (8.93 yards per touch) 52 td's (1 td per 7.4 touches) 35 touches per game and 286.6 yards per game

Both QB's put up impressive numbers but I believe Myrick clearly deserved player of the year. These numbers don't even include defensive stats and returns for TD's which would put myrick way above green. And as far as first team qb goes, If myrick got near as many pass attempts as green he would of put up just as many passing yards and td's if not more. Given the fact that green had 12.5 more pass attempts per game and myrick's 67.1% completion rating that would have given him 8.39 more completions and at 17.5 yards per completion he would of had 146.8 more passing yards per game for an average of 328.8 passing YPG. Multiply that by 11 games which is how many green played and myrick throws for 3,616 yards and just under 46 td's (all in theory of course). They had the same amount of rushes so if myrick would of had as many pass attempts as green he has 59 total td's and 4,357 yards of total offense, nearly 1,000 more than Green..... Don't be upset that Billy Green didnt get player of the year. Just be glad that he somehow got 1st team QB. I don't know Jensens stats but at least him and Myrick took their teams to the state game.

Nolan Hoiness rom hoquiam averaged 12.8 yards per carry. That's impressive. I know Jake Gall averaged 14 (according to statewidestats.com)but given that he plays in the scac west, that's nothing special. He couldn't do anything when he played against a good team like royal in playoffs. I'm not sure how Brady Dixon from royal didnt receive first team tight end. He had 5 or 6 receiving td's in playoffs alone including 2 in the state game and caught just about anything myrick threw his way.

Please don't make yourself out to be such an ignorant 1A football fan. First of all, you can not do calculated numbers to figure out if a guy who passes 155 times a year for 1820 yards will have comparitivly the same numbers passing for twice the attempts. I agree Myrick is a good athlete and football player. I think that Billy Green deserved to be atleast in the conversation for player of the year. It was a toss up congrats to Myrick. However, to say that Green should not have been first team QB is rediculous. Green is the best QB in the state at any level second to Max Browne. I'm sure you were unaware that Billy Green was invited to the ESPN Elite 11 and would have moved on but decided to bypass the opportunity so that he could lead his team in a UW passing tournament on the same day. Also Myrick will never be anything more than a good 1A high school player. He is 5'8" 175lbs so while Myrick is an 18 year old hs grad working in the orchards picking apples or driving combines, Billy Green 6'2" 215" will be playing on national television seting records at a top tier D1 school playing QB. That is the problem with bloggers they are only concerned with the present and cannot see to the future. Which is why Royal didn't win the state title because people from Royal were too cuaght up on their season accomplishments like beating warden, wahluke and kiona-Benton teams that no one knows. If you would like to look back Green beat Lynden class 2A state champs and no 1 ranking at the time, Archbishop Murphy quarterfinalist No 1 ranked at the time, Lakewood quarterfinalist no 2 ranked at the time, Hoquiam no 1 ranked team at time of beating. Then they lost to monte and Green broke his hand on the second play and had his first and only "bad" game of the season and still had a chance to win. And don't brag about "taking their team to the state title game" just shows that you have zero competative spirit and are okay with just being good. Lets be for real both Kings and Royal didn't state so if you ask a real competitor if you don't win the big one the season is a bust.

Originally posted by fooballfan7:

Also Myrick will never be anything more than a good 1A high school player.
Does winning 1A games and championships need anything more than good 1A high school players?

Originally posted by fooballfan7:

He is 5'8" 175lbs so while Myrick is an 18 year old hs grad working in the orchards picking apples or driving combines, Billy Green 6'2" 215" will be playing on national television seting records at a top tier D1 school playing QB. That is the problem with bloggers they are only concerned with the present and cannot see to the future.
I think you're conflating a lot of things here. The present is or was winning 1A plays, games and championships. That's how 1A teams and players should be evaluated for all-state recognition. Look to Scout, Rivals CFB, and the Seattle Times' blue chip rankings for recruiting evaluation. Division 1 talent sure makes winning easier, but teams and players win all the time without it, particularly in 1A. Enjoy and evaluate high school players first and foremost as HS players. Same for college players. One of the best wire-to-wire best quarterbacks this state has had was Eatonville's Bobby Lucht. Never played at the Division 1 level (nor anywhere else as far as I know) but that has no bearing on what he and Eatonville accomplished during his time there. I sure we can all think of dozen other examples.

As familiar as you might be with Green's post-secondary plans, I'd imagine you're equally unfamiliar with Myrick's. And in both cases, it doesn't impact what either player actually accomplished in his high school career one bit. Personally I wish both the best in the future.

Never got to see Myrick play, but did watch Green a couple times and he's a heckuva QB. I would put Kraight above him for an all-state #2. Browne, Kraight, Green, Liufau, Rypien, perhaps.

Myrick is playing ball at Whitworth. Pretty sure Whitworth did away with their apple picking and combine operating majors but ill double check that.
This post was edited on 8/28 12:53 AM by rkfootballer

ADVERTISEMENT