ADVERTISEMENT

best teams?

watson2009

Jul 23, 2009
if you had to pick the top 2a-1a-2b-1b teams of all time who would they be and in what order?
here are a some choices:
2009 cedarcrest
2006 granite falls
2002 ridgefield
2000 elma
2004 archbishop murphy
2005 brewster
2001 brewster
2000 okanogan
1998 brewster
1997 royal
1996 kiona-benton
1995 rochester
1994 elma
1993 rochester
1992 connell
1989 ephrata
1988 castle rock
1986 tenino
1983 ephrata
1982 ephrata
1980 charles wright
1978 washougal
1973 washougal
2009 northwest christian
2008 desales
2007 lasalle
2005 desales
2004 desales
1998 desales
1993 desales
1992 desales
1991 toutle lake
1990 toutle lake
1988 kittitas
1986 rosalia
1985 asotin
1984 brewster
1983 republic
1980 colton
1977 toutle lake
1975 kiona-benton
1973 kiona-benton
2009 wilbur-creston
2008 lake quinault

Sehome high school 2007. jordan chambers 2A player of the year, kai hatch all-state mvp, beat selah 6-1 in state championship, with selah's ace on the mound. very talented

o and in 08, the sehome team who won state was ranked #13 in the nation for "smaller schools" after they won the state title

In '07 Cedarcrest lost 3-2 to Sehome on a the last play of the game at the plate in extra innings...Chambers pitched, Cedarcrest had 1 senior.

In '08 Cedarcrest beat Sehome 3-1.

Both years Cedarcrest in the Semis faced pitchers who were taken in the MLB draft, Kevin Komostadius (East Valley) and Justin Windsor (Selah)

the 07 team still won, so they should be considered one of the best teams of all time

ya i threw against them (Windsor) but i didnt go to the mlb haha and komo didnt either lol komo went to UW and now is playing at CBC. And im playing at Walla Walla this yr

I'm a bit confused with M23's post.... Windsor(Selah) pitched against Sehome in the Championship game of '09. Komstadius(East Valley) pitched against them in the semis of '08, and Fife(Selah) pitched against them in the semis of '07.

This is kind of a silly question, for all the obvious reasons...different teams, different levels of talent, different eras. Trying to pick "the greatest of all time" is always an interesting discussion, but frankly, something of a waste of time.

That having been said...

You can always tell when the people answering are fairly young because they always say the teams playing now will be the very best. However...

Look at the list. You see a program like DeSales, which one 1-2-3-4 in a row...how do you not look at that and say that is one of the best?

Frankly, the "best ever" has to be tagged to Ephrata through the 1980s -- 9 league titles, 10 district titles, nine final fours, six state titles (81-82-83, 85, 87, 89), plus state champs in 1977 and 1999. When coach Dave Johnson retired, he was and still is the winningest coach in state history.

Okay, children...tell me how I'm wrong?

I think the question ought to be what are the best programs in the state?

Selah
DeSales
Pullman
Richland
Ephrata

Just to name a few from the east side. I could use some help from the other side of the state.

I agree with Steve regarding Ephrata, and also 3bagger -- the question should be which are the best programs.....

in terms of programs from up north, sehome and burlington are always there. cedarcrest and ATM are consistent as well

Naches has to be one of the best if not the best 1A programs in the state. Kalama has been powerful in recent years, and we can't forget about the Brewster era.

smithsports, you just wasted your time, since you said it is a waste of time to say whom the greatest team of all time is, but then you told us what you thought. and with your logic desales is way ahead of ephrata!

You still have to look at Cedarcrest.. 3rd in 07,08 and then state champs 09.Other then sehome going back to back cedarcrest is one of the better baseball programs in the state!

Watson...

It really depends on the era we want to discuss. The 1980s...no 1A team was touching Ephrata at the time, so I doubt DeSales could have. The 1990s, still Ephrata, with a challenge from the B school. In the last 10 years, it would have been a great matchup.

Again, it just depends on the time, the players, etc. DeSales has a fantastic coach in Kim Cox, and has had a great program. They deserve all the accolades they've received, but so does Ephrata.

Also, and I don't want this to sound like it comes out, but being a private school, DeSales does have the advantage in selecting players, strongly encouraging the better talent in the area to come to school there...etc.

selah has a bunch of appearances in the final 4, but has never won the title. i think they have been in the final 4 something like 8 out of the past 11 years or something too...brutal.

You definitely cannot leave the Naches Rangers out of the conversation in the past couple of years. State champions this past season, with great showings at the state tournament the years previous. Not to mention their dominance of the SCAC West.

ADVERTISEMENT