Breaking the Plane?

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by bigdog04, Oct 5, 2006.

1. bigdog04

bigdog04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

FBRef... I've been stewing on this one for awhile. The other night, I watched a college game where the QB ran wide towards the Right corner of the endzone with the ball in his right hand. As he approached the pylon, his left leg passed inside of the pylon, but the ball clearly did not "break the plane" of the goal line. It was called a TD. After review, it was still labeled a TD. So, I assume this was correct. The TV announcers said that if any part of the body crossed over the inside of the pylon, it is a TD.

So... tonight, I watched another game, and the RB took a handoff at the 1 yard line and dove to the endzone. His head and shoulders were the first part of his body to hit the ground, and they did so inside the endzone. However, the ball did not "break the plane" of the goal line. It was NOT called a TD. After review, it STILL was NOT called a TD.

My question is... what's the difference between the two calls?

Thanks!

2. col-pul

col-pul Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

"As he approached the pylon, his left leg passed inside of the pylon, but the ball clearly did not "break the plane" of the goal line. It was called a TD."

I don't think the plane is an in bounds kinda place. As I under stand it the plane travels around the globe. So if the ball crosses the plane even out of the field of play as long as the player isn't down its a TD.

"His head and shoulders were the first part of his body to hit the ground, and they did so inside the endzone."

But if the ball didn't cross the plane its still down at the ball's forward progress.

At least I think

3. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The difference is standing versus diving and sideline versus the middle of the field..

In the first play, the ball does indeed cross the goal line. The runner ran across the goal line. The goal line is a line, not a line segment, which means that it extends beyond the sideline. If a runner crosses the goal line while on his feet, it's a TD when the ball crosses the goal line, no matter which side of the pylon it crosses on. So while you say the ball did not cross the goal line, in reality, it didn't not cross the gaol line in the field of play. It did cross the gaol line, beyond the sideline, which is still a TD when the player is on his feet.

In the second play, the ball does not cross the goal line at all. Had the play been similiar to the first play, the ball would be dead where it crossed the goal line, since the runner was not on his feet.

The rule is the same in high school, college and the pros.

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You are correct.

5. bigdog04

bigdog04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Gracias, Amigos!

Didn't know the bit about the goal line extending beyond the field of play!

6. col-pul

Expand Collapse

Here's question: A player dives for the goal line leaving the field of play with the ball's forward progress at the 1. While in the air he and the ball are both out of bounds as they cross the goal line but before he lands he reaches out and the ball crosses back into the field of play in the end zone then before he makes contact with the ground out of bounds he pulls the ball in so that both he and ball land out of bounds. Is the ball spotted where it was last in bounds before being down or where the ball originally left the field of play, TD or spotted at the 1?
    This post was edited on 10/6 1:51 PM by col-pulif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

7. oakharborwildcatfan

oakharborwildcatfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Based on what FBRef said earlier, I say spot at the 1, as the player was diving, not on his feet. Anything that happens after the diving player passed out of bounds does not count, as the play was over.

8. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That's correct. If his feet are noit touching the ground, the ball is spotted where he broke the sideline plane. What happens after that is of no consequence.

9. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That's correct. If his feet are not touching the ground, the ball is spotted where he broke the sideline plane. What happens after that is of no consequence.

10. col-pul

Expand Collapse

So when a player dives and is out of bounds while in the air and reaches out to get the ball over the pylon that shouldn't be a touchdown?

11. Cougarfan20

Cougarfan20 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm a little confused by this thread.

I have a few questions.

1. Player dives for endzone, his body is OB but the ball doesn't cross OB. The ball then crosses the endzone line, touchdown or not?

2. Player dives for the endzone, crosses the line in the air inbounds, but travels out of bounds on the fly and never touches down until OB, touchdown or not?

12. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If the ball is inbounds, yes. If the ball is OOB, no. It's dead where it breaks the sideline plane.

13. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

1. TD

2. There's no requirement that he touch the ground. TD.

14. Cougarfan20

Cougarfan20 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse