Clock Operators Duties.

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by Havnfun, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Havnfun

Havnfun Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have seen several games (mostly JV or Frosh, but varsity too) where the referee makes a mistake, or purposely, starts the clock after change of possession or incomplete pass, etc. Also the opposite where they forget to start the clock after chains move, etc. Or no ref signals stop in incomplete pass. Anyway, you get the idea.

Question: Is the clock operator obliged to follow the rules about starting or stopping the clock or is he to blindly follow the signals of the referee?

THNX!

2. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

About all I can tell you is that he'd better be 200% sure he's right if he's gonna make that decision.

3. Havnfun

Havnfun Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I apologize if my question appeared slanted one way or the other. No criticism is intended and I am not talking about an authority fight. It is a question I truly would like an answer to. Since I do not have a rule book, etc. I was just wondering. Is there a protocal of authority on that issue? Is the referee completely in charge of these operations? Does the clock operator have a duty to be on top of it?

Are there clear rules on the issue or is it left in the gray? Picture the situation. Sitting in the stands enjoying some fall play. The referee starts the clock after a time out. Everyone yelling at the clock operator to stop the clock, he obviously feels the duty to do what the referee signaled. Should I feel for the operator when he was just doing a good job paying attention to the referee or should he get a backbone and not start the clock. Maybe i'm the only one who has ever experienced this scenario. It just seems to regularly happen and I lack the sophistication to know.

Just an honest question.

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

In basketball, the rules state the clock operator should start and stop the clock at the appropriate times if the official doesn;t signal. No such rule exist in football. So I would say the answer to your question is no.