ADVERTISEMENT

Crossover Tournament in Spokane this weekend..

I know they are in the same pool as Connell, St. Georges, and East Valley. I think that is EV Spokane. They startpool play Friday but I think Connell and GV play all their pool play sat morning, I know Connell plays 8,10,and 11. That s all I know Clank.

Let's hope someone can throw us all some updates this weekend. i would imagine there is a sight, but I haven't a clue how to find it.

I love it! 4A vs 1A in the semis!

Panthers win Crossover Classic

Mead beats Bishop Blanchet in title game

Steve Christilaw - Spokesman Review

October 14, 2007

Pedigrees count.

Out of the 64 high school teams that opened the Crossover Classic volleyball tournament Friday night, the four left standing in the championship bracket Saturday night collectively are nine-time defending state champions.

Four-time defending State 4A champion Mead knocked off defending 3A champion Bishop Blanchet in three games to take the title.

"This is kind of the start to the homestretch of the season," Mead coach Judy Kight said. "The timing of this tournament is just right. We have one more week left in the regular season ? three tough games for us ? but then we go right into the playoffs.

"We want to take the momentum from this tournament and carry it on through the rest of the season."

Three-time defending 1A champion Colfax knocked off Sandpoint, last year's Idaho 4A champion, to finish third ? the Bulldogs' highest tournament finish.

"We have never come out of the Crossover Classic without being a better team," Colfax coach Sue Doering said. "It's always made us better."

The Panthers needed to rally from a game down in the championship match.

The Braves from North Seattle, winners of two of the past three 3A titles, knocked off Lewis and Clark in pool play, preventing the Tigers from playing at home Saturday. After stopping Sandpoint in three games in the semifinals, Bishop Blanchet won the opening game with Mead, 25-22.

That loss only served to spark the Panthers.

"For some reason, we start a little slow," Kight said. "Even against Colfax, we got off to a slow start. But I'm pleased with the way we came back. We're starting to flow on offense, we're starting to click. I'm pleased with the way our offense is playing and I'm pleased with the adjustments we're making on defense."

Kight said her Panthers only seem unflappable.

"Oh, we're flappable," she laughed. "Big flaps. But I am just so proud of how tough these kids are and how well they battle."

Behind the smooth play of setter Karyn Mockel and back-row play of Meg Ryan, the Panthers evened the match at a game apiece with a 25-18 win in game two and polished off the tournament with a 15-6 win in game three.

"Wow ? you guys are good," Blanchet coach Matt Chang told Kight afterward.

"Good luck ? we'll see you at state," he added with a glad-we-don't-have-to-play-you smile.

The semifinal matchup between Mead and Colfax was a first: a matchup between the area's two most dominant programs.

Colfax's Doering has led her Bulldogs to five state titles and six 1A title-game appearances since 2000 while Kight has guided the Panthers to the past four straight 4A titles.

"We've never played them before," Doering said. "Oddly enough, we've never met. You have to remember, we're really just the eighth-biggest Class B team in the state ? we just had one big class the last time they did classifications. We don't get many chances to play a Mead."

"It was great that we got to play finally," Kight said. "Her kids came out fired up."

The Bulldogs made the most of the opportunity, starting on a 6-1 run and holding a six-point lead as late as 17-11 in the opening game, only to have Mead roar back to a 17-17 tie. Colfax led 22-21 before falling 25-23.

"This is a really special senior class," Doering said. "They are really competitive, no matter what sport they're playing. If we roll balls out during P.E. for a game of dodgeball, they'll team up and have to win.

"We come to this tournament to play this kind of competition. Now we take what we've learned here, go back and get ready for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs."

And giving them more of a game than the Championship match did...

Like I said on the B-ball board, won't it be fun for the rest of B2 when/if Colfax drops down next year in volleyball and girls basketball?

I've heard that they'll be eligible to drop but haven't heard if they'll opt up to stay in 1A. Long and successful history in 1A. Colfax would also become real powers in other sports down in the B's as they are very competitive in Boys Basketball, Football and Baseball in 1A now. But in Volleyball and Girls Basketball I don't think anyone would come close to the general vicinity of touching them down in the B's for the next five years at least. There is a huge jump between 1A and B2, maybe more so than any other jump in classifications.

Re: And giving them more of a game than the Championship match did...

Colfax continues to impress me. How does a school of their size stay with Mead for any stretch at all? Unbelievable and great job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT