Cut blocking in Shot gun

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by flyfishsteelhead, Oct 9, 2006.

1. flyfishsteelhead

Expand Collapse

So this weekend one of my guards got called for a cut block and we asked why. It wasn't a high low situation and it was immediate. The ref at half time said you can't cut block if you are in shot gun and since we were in gun no dice. I don't think I ever heard that before. Is that a change in the rule about cut block or was the guy mistaken. I could understand if the ball is thrown and then you cut the guy but watching on film it clearly isn't the case. They were a great crew and I would take them every week but I just didn't understand that call after watching the film as I thought he said the ball was gone and then he cut him. But he threw the flag immediately before the ball was thrown.

thanks

2. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The interpretation in most states is that the lineman must be in a 3 or 4 point stance and the block has to be IMMEDIATELY after the snap. I warned a kid of this on Friday night. He said, "You mean I can't preset." "That's right." Any delay whatsoever means the ball is out of the FBZ and that makes the block illegal.

3. EVDevil03

EVDevil03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

that would be crazy to see you ref. you should take video of yourself so we could all see how good you are.

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't know that you could tell how good or how lousy I am from a photo.