ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Tournament

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
Went down to Mount Vernon last night. Watched Anacortes beat Sedro-Woolley, and Sehome win over ATM. 2old4this may look like a prophet when all is said and done. The NWC has 3 teams heading to Regionals. Lynden is playing their best basketball at the right time. They have Hastings back which is huge for the Lions. Anacortes is a team that I have felt all along was the best in the NWC. They can beat anyone on their best night. Both teams should make it to the State Tournament and be heard from. Sehome is the "little engine that could." The Mariners had a 20 point lead at the half against a team that took Lynden to the wire. Whoever they play in the regional may be in for a surprise. I feel bad for Sedro_Woolley. They had a terrific year, finishing 2nd in the NWC. For their reward they had to play Lake Washington and Anacortes back to back. Wow!
I'll say it now, I believe I was wrong. We may very well get more than one team to the State Tournament. Hard to believe that 3 weeks ago, L.C. was leading our Conference. They're not even playing now.

This post was edited on 2/21 8:23 AM by Warrant3

Thanks Warrant but we are not completely there yet. The Fife loss was a bit unexpected. That will be a tough test for the Seahawks but I think there perimeter play is better than fifes and if anyone can control getting the ball to the big man it is Anacortes. They will not be intimidated.
Sehome"s Draw is not good for them at all. Mark Morris rebounding and interior could be a huge issue for the Mariners. I really like that Sehome team and hope so much they make it.

I guess now you understand why I continued to write in unbelief that LC was winning. Warrant you and I both know that there was not a lot there this year and down the stretch they began to show their weaknesses on both ends of the floor. That is why I felt it incredible they won as many games as they did. I commend their staff and players on a great year after graduating their starting line up and having 3 potential starters sit the bench all season due to injury.

I agree with you about the Sehome/ Mark Morris matchup. I'm assuming Bill Bakamus is still coaching down there. It will come down to whether or not Sehome can create turnovers. If they can, they have a shot. There is no denying it's a tough draw.
I thought the same thing about the Anacortes/ Fife game. I didn't know it was a surprise that White River won, but I knew Kaleb McGary was going to be an issue. I have a lot of confidence in Brett Senff to get his guys ready for this type of game. The Seahawk players are all experienced at going on the road to play a Regional game. I give them the edge.

Lynden has been the big surprise to me. After they lost to L.C. and Anacortes at home earlier in the season, I didn't think they would get this far. They're looking more and more like a legitimate contender.
And let's not forget about the this Lake Washington team. They're tough. I give them a big shot to make the State Tournament. The question I have is, How do they match up against Bremerton. A team I haven't see play.
L.C. was quite a story this season. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Grant Wolffis, a 6' senior guard, playing on the low block, leading the team in scoring, and leading his team to wins against the likes of Lynden. The clock finally struck twelve for the Lyncs. If they come back healthy next season, they will be very tough to beat.

Bakamus is still at MM, Warrant. He will always keep a team competitive. Not quite as tall of a team as Bakamus has been used to in the past, but there are still a few tall wings who love to work the paint. That's what put them over the top in wins against Hockinson, Ridgefield, and other area teams.

ADVERTISEMENT