FBRef, please comment on this play

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by oakharborwildcatfan, Oct 21, 2006.

1. oakharborwildcatfan

oakharborwildcatfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Blue kicks off to white.

White returns the ball to the white 20.

During the play, a flag is dropped on blue for illegal participation.

Another flag is dropped after the play, deal ball personal foul, unnecessary roughness on white.

On the field, the referee marched off 15 yards in each direction, and blue re-kicked.

I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that it shouldn't have been that way.

Your comment, please.

2. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No other way to do it.

Foul on Blue marked oof from the previous spot, the 40.

Dead ball foul on White brings it back to the 40.

Re-kick.

My question would be how in the world do you let a team kick off with 12 players on the field?

3. oakharborwildcatfan

oakharborwildcatfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Who knows.

Sort of on the same subject, would you clarify for me the difference between illegal participation and illegal substitution?

Also, I know you don't make the rules, but in your opinion, is illegal participation worth 15 yards? It seems a bit excessive to me - equal to personal fouls...

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The most common illiegal subsitution foul is having more than 11 players on the field prior to the snap or a 12th player coming onto the field during a down but not partiucipating.

Illegal participation means the extra player participated in the play.

Is 15 yards too severe? No. It's a huge advantage to have 12 players in the game. Having 6 on the floor in basketball is a technical foul, 2 shots and the ball.

Teams should be able to count to 11. Officials should be, too. Somebody's got to get it before the snap.

5. Husky9

Husky9 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

An Oak Harbor player entered the field after the ball was marked ready for play, but prior to the kick.There were only ten players on the field prior to the Oak Harbor player entering, but, because both teams are located on the same side of the field, the Oak Harbor player could only get on the field by running through the neutral zone. Apparently the officials ruled that this was an illegal substitution. The player then took part in the kickoff and they ruled it was illegal participation resulting in the administration of penalties as described above.
    This post was edited on 10/23 11:50 AM by Husky9if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}