ADVERTISEMENT

Game of the Century?: Bellevue v. Long Beach Poly

Sep 8, 2005
I've been reading about this game for sometime, and I have come to conclusion that this could be one of the greatest games in history for the State of Washington.

I graduated from Juanita in '84, and was a part of some great teams with Chuck Tarbox. With Bellevue's rise to power, I have watched many of their games, as well as those of O'Dea, Newport, and other local powers over the years. This year's Bellevue team will not likely be as good as last year's team, however with the hard work of those players and coaches, a good team will be on the field.

Long Beach Poly is the most exciting high school football team in the nation. With 46 players in the NFL, and possibly as many as 5 future NFL players on their team this year with both WR's, the TE, a LB, and a DE, this Poly team could be their best. They are coming up here with a huge chip on their shoulder, wanting to prove something for California football against the team that beat De La Salle. Poly is angry that they weren't the team to beat De La Salle, after having suffered two difficult losses a few years back when Poly had some of their greatest teams.

I don't know how many people will be at Seahawks Stadium, because this game is being played on a Friday night. The excitement for what is going on the field should be electric, and I know for one that I will not miss the chance to witness the most exciting team in the nation play the most dominant team in our State's history. I want to see the two WR's and RB that USC has offered. I want to see the big TE named Conan who is supposed to be a future NFL freak show.

My matchup breakdown:

Qbs: Edge: Draw

The QB position isn't all about throwing the ball; it is also about game management and mobility. The Poly QB is supposed to be a very talented pocket passer and scrambler, and will have his share of big plays. Bellevue's QB is a great runner, and has uncanny talents at leadership and game management.

RBs: Edge: Poly

While Bellevue has a good stable of backs this year, Poly's back Guthrie may be the best back they've ever had. From seeing some clips of him, he runs very similar to Jonathon Stewart, and cuts about better than any high school back I've seen.

WRs: Edge: Poly

Don't need to say much about this one. Patterson and Austin are flat-out studs, and are future NFL draft picks.

OL: Edge: Draw

Bellevue has Steve Schilling, but he is the only returning lineman. Fortunatley for Bellevue, he may be the best lineman in the country. Poly, on the other hand, averages 280+ across the front, and literally manhandles defensive fronts. Bellevue's DL could be in big trouble in this matchup.

LB's: Edge: Poly

Bellevue's LB's are very young, having graduated everybody last year (including possible future NFL player EJ Savannah). Poly has a freak in Alfred Rowe, and possibly an even bigger freak in Jurray Casey. Poly's backers will be the best pair of backers you will see in high school football, period.

DB's: Edge: Draw

This may sound crazy, with Poly having some serious freaks with Joseph and company, but Bellevue does have future WSU recruit Rosenburg, Block, and transfer McQueen in their secondary. All three of those guys are D-1 caliber players. The only problem is that Poly will see a very average passing game, while Bellevue will see one of the greatest passing games in the nation.

DL: Edge: Poly

Bellevue has a veteran line, but that line could get manhandled by Poly's monsters. Schilling and Carpine should hold their own, but whoever else plays their is up in the air. Poly, on the other hand, is loaded, with Conan and Alfred Rowe's little brother (another future NFL player). Their D-Line could be the deciding factor in the game if they dominate the line of scrimmage.

Kicking Game: Edge: Bellevue

Bellevue's supposed to have a talented kicker. My buddy has a kid who goes there, and the Bellevue kicker apparently can drill 50+ yard kicks. We'll see how he does under the lights, but every kick should go in the end zone.

Final Score:

Poly 35, Bellevue 28.

This should be a great game, but I just don't think Bellevue can matchup. One thing is certain about Bellevue, and that is that they will play their asses off, but the deciding factor in this game may not be execution, but may be pure talent, which clearly points in Poly's favor. Regardless, I can't wait to go to this game next weekend (I'm actually skipping my son's game, but he is okay with it).

ADVERTISEMENT