ADVERTISEMENT

Hamstrings/DQs rule at regionals/Districts for 4A/3A

Jamal03

Dec 17, 2003
Three of the top four 200m sprinters will not run this event at State, Hamilton & Jennings, 4A, hamstrings, Murray, 3A, disqualification. Jennings & Hamilton will battle sore hams and the competition in the 100. I salute all the athletes male and female alike who have come this far as I have watched many an effort put forth by so many fall short. Let us offer up our prayers for their continuing good health and appreciate them for their love of competing. See you at State!

We were there when Marlon DQ'd in the 2. Since he beat his nearest competitors by about 20 meters or more, I almost cried. At least all is not lost as Marlon will compete in the 1.

In any case, my kid did pretty well, so we'll see you at State!

More DQs at State, including Ramos' false start. My kid also DQ'd in the 2. But he made finals in the 1 and did good. Not too bad after being out almost all last year with first one hamstring injury after another and even having some problems this season. I just appreciate his coaches who let him rest when he needed to.

Too bad about Andre making it into the finals and then finishing 9th.

Now I can "come out". I'm Morrey's mom. It's so interesting how one little thing can change everything. Morrey's hamstrings, one after the other, gave out in his junior year. It was a foreshadowing that his heart would give out only four days after starting school at Cal Poly and he would never compete on this plane of existence ever again.

We always wondered what was wrong, why a kid who came in second to Quinton Jackson, who had a 10.83, didn't seem to dramatically improve timewise every year. Yes, he had shin splints and other sundry complaints, but it was always a big question for us. But the funny thing was that if we knew he had a heart condition, he wouldn't have been competing at all!

What do you mean his heart gave out?

Wow, having read the post after mine, let me say how sorry I am.
This post was edited on 2/7 3:16 AM by Money$$

My belated condolences, Cynthia, ironically I had checked out WATFXC.com and visited the Message Board, I saw an old post or two of yours and pieced together the possibility of you being the mother of this fine young man. I did not know him personally but having read the article of his untimely passing and the many positives mentioned therein of his life I felt a deep appreciation of having known him at a distance in watching him perform through the pain and disappointments yet stepping up each time and giving his best. I salute you for always being there for him and he for giving us all the joy of witnessing him compete. God Bless and keep the Faith, he did.

Thank you so much, Jamal. I don't know who your child is, but I'm sure I enjoyed watching that talented youth. Any time you can fit in a prayer for his soul or volunteer at a meet in his name would be appreciated.

Morrey had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or HCM. He basically passed out due to his heart condition and drowned. There's no way of knowing if someone could have saved him if they would have been in the pool with him - or if it would have occurred on dry land.

http://www.morreybrown.com

Cynthreab, you can be sure I will do just that. Our youth more than ever need our support and Morrey is ever in my prayers.

You did watch my child and he is blessed to still compete, thank you so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT