ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Dawgthis

tuf62

Aug 30, 2004
First, to say that there is more going on in one pitch of baseball than an entire game of football or hoops? You have got to be dillusional!! I like baseball but it just gets boring after a while, it is so slow. It really rivals soccer in the speed of the game.

Second, I hope that your players don't read this board or you might have a lot more problems now. I find the comments that you make toward your players offensive and out of line. Maybe there are some proactive steps that can be taken to help the problem, such as a study table for the players who need it or something of that nature. Maybe you can take a more active part in the academic side to try to help your players have more success on and off of the field. just a suggestion.

I was wondering when someone would take issue with that. Good for you. Thanks for the thoughts.

On the one pitch opinion:
I don't know if delusional is fair but your opinion is yours, so be it. I won't dicount your take because many people share your thoughts...no sense pissing in the wind over a message board.

On my players:
My comments are based more on the effort put forth than anything. Secondly, perhaps my post was designed for my players to read and ponder. A few of them know it is me and have made comments to me in person. I respect them for that. But when I ask if I was off-base they say no. I think study table is a fine idea...for more mature athletes (i.e. college...) There are many factors involved with this issue and many times it is not something that study table alone can fix. We allow our athletes all the time they need to take responsibility for their academic situation. They are not punished excessively and they are not made to feel stupid. We are in communication with parents and teachers to monitor and encourage improvement. Contrary to popular belief, coaches, teachers and parents that have standards and expect them to be upheld are not a-holes or power hungry jerks. Most times they are people that care and want to see young men/women take responsibility and take steps on their own to correct the problem. Most of all we want them to be successful citizens. Sport is a small part of the overall picture. Thankfully, most guys respond and get eligible quickly as they realize that sports are a privledge not a right.

Anyways, thanks for the response. Maybe a study table would work for high school guys...Good thought.

By the way, I was a dumbass kid too...passed all my classes but gave my coaches heart attacks in different ways so I am not trying to be a self righteous prick...I'm just trying to help.

Thanks for the response back I have a better understanding of where you are coming from now. i'm glad that you have set high standards for your kids. I I've been a teacher/coach for a long time and i agree with you that some kids need a wake-up call now and then. I guess that I misunderstood the intent of the post. Good luck to you. I have used the study table with high school kids and it has worked. Just make sure it is organized properly before you try to implement it.

Right on. I have pondered the study table idea since your post and spoke with with my wife
to figure out how to organize it...(She is a PE teacher and a coach...Great live-in reference!!!)
I think that is going to be something I introduce to the program next season. THanks again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT