Holder's Knee on the Ground

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by eddiebauer1921, Oct 7, 2006.

1. eddiebauer1921

eddiebauer1921 New Member
    Expand Collapse

USC v. Washington today. USC's fake field goal... wasn't the play dead when the holder received the snap with his knee on the ground?

2. oakharborwildcatfan

oakharborwildcatfan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Shouldn't be, otherwise there would never be a field goal or PAT in any game - almost all holders have at least one knee on the ground when they get the ball. FBRef will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the one exception.

BUT, if the holder get the ball, lifts his knee, then returns the knee to the ground, THEN play over, blow the whistle.

3. eddiebauer1921

Expand Collapse

Well, I guess I didn't mean the play was dead... but they shouldn't be able to stand up. Also isn't there a rule that all players must break from the team huddle? Or was the huddle on the sidelines and the Huskies just didn't see him? I seem to remember FBRef having a thread on this before!

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There's no rule that requires that there even be a huddle. Therefore, there's no rule that requires that it be broken with 11 players. The only rule (college) is that there can't be 12 in the huddle when it breaks.

It's perfectly legal for a holder to rise and run, handoff or pass the ball.

5. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There's no rule that requires that there even be a huddle. Therefore, there's no rule that requires that it be broken with 11 players. The only rule (college) is that there can't be 12 in the huddle when it breaks.

6. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

7. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

8. oakharborwildcatfan

Expand Collapse

When is a player considered 'in the game'? Is just stepping onto the playing field enough, or is there some other standard, as long as there are not 12, of course?

9. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

He must be inside the 9 yard marks after the ready whistle is blown and before the ball is snapped. Most schools paint the top of the numbers 9 yards from the sideline. If there are no numbers, then there's supposed to be a mark on each 5 yard line.

10. eddiebauer1921

Expand Collapse

So... standing just inside the sidelines, would not make you an eligible player, would it?

11. oakharborwildcatfan

Expand Collapse

I know where you're going with this one! Just what the Huskies were arguing...he was not an eligible receiver as he never 'reported' inside the numbers!

12. eddiebauer1921

Expand Collapse

Bingo! Did the refs miss this one?

13. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not in High School.

College, no idea.

14. Cougarfan20

Cougarfan20 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've seen the play about a dozen times now.

The receiver is NOT in the field of view of any of the endzone cameras until after the ball is thrown. I don't have it captured, I've just seen it on the replays.

This might be a BIG mistake!

Bill