ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson quite good...could they beat college teams?

Just Play Football

May 5, 2003
What's interesting about this quote is that this article was printed BEFORE the state semifinal and championship game.

"Doesn't matter if it's UW, Washington State, the high-school teams," Washington-bound senior Joey Lind says. "We can compete against anybody in the state. Pitching, defense, hitting. We've got it all."

Can Jackson play with Pac-10 teams?

I don't think they could consistently beat an average community college teams. They have some great players, but the bulk of them won't be playing anywhere next year. And the UW? Lincecum would probably no hit them 9 out of 10 games. High school kids can be pretty confident. Which is good. They met their goal. They are the best 4a team in the state. But there is no proof that they're even better than newport. ANd the national rankings? These are done on a mythical level. They mean nothing but to a handful of people. I guess the beauty of it all is we'll never know. Cograts to them and all the other teams that were still playing this last weekend. I coached high school ball for four years and it is truly an impressive feat to make it thru a season undefeated. again, congratulations.

I'm sorry... I respect Brewster alot, they always have good teams... and I saw them play this year, but Brewster isn't even on the map compared to Jackson. That is, with both teams throwing out the "A" lineup. You know, it's baseball... so anything can happen, but Jackson would beat Brewster 24 out of 25 times.

Also, I think it's very conceivable that Jackson could beat most of the CC teams consistently. This team is very deep. There's not just a "few" studs. Their two pitchers are much better than almost every pitcher in the NWAACC, and their lineup has a group of guys that we will be watching on TV in the next 5 years. UW? That's a bit much, though! Of course, the way the Dawgs finished the year... maybe!

Wildcat Alum......son, you must never have played at the college level

This is the worst post I have EVER read on this board.

I can't believe you actually wrote that. And if you believe it, that's even more sad.

It reminds me when i was a little kid and asked my dad why the National Champs couldn't beat the Seahawks

Re: Wildcat Alum......son, you must never have...

Whoa, W-C...are you POSITIVE that's the worst post EVER on this board? ... cuz I'll take credit for most of them! Wildcat's are pretty innocuous!

Wolffy

Kitsap-Wolf, saying that a High School team is just as good, or imply that they could compete against college level players is simply the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

Serious, that is a slap in the face to every JC ball player and coach. Again, when I was little I thought the best college teams could play with or beat the worst professional teams. I was like 9.

I am sick and tired of people thinking it is a ‘God Given’ right to play college sports. It’s not. And a comment like that sickens me. The jump from H.S. to college is big. Even JC ball. The jump from JC ball to D-III is huge. DIII to DII. And so on……..

Wolf, I have never heard you spout such a childish statement. And me saying that is huge. I still have a bone to pick with the Port Orchard folks about the defeat in the Softball state title game 1-0 in 1995. Ouch!!!! That still stings. (Runner on 3rd two out, and a catch at the warning track preventing the walk off STATE TITLE HR)

The Pulse of the GSL…….booom boom …booom boom booom boom!!!!

This post was edited on 5/31 2:51 PM by Whitworth-Cougif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I agree...

...with you whole-heartedly, never said I didn't.

I'm pretty sure what I said was fairly unchildish (although, if you search around, I'm positive you'll find some criminally childish posts from me)...

Re: Wildcat Alum......son, you must never have played at the college level

Wow.. worst post ever? I'm ashamed of myself. You know, maybe you are right... I didn't sit here for 10 minutes and think about that before I wrote it... I'll try to next time, OK? The last thing I want to do is upset you.

Listen, man... it was just a quick thought... I've got no need to give my credentials here, but let's just say I loved playing the Pirates... always padded the stats. I have coached high school and college baseball, though... and I was extremely impressed when I saw Jackson. Cam Nobles & Geoffrey Brown would be two of the best pitchers in the NWAACC. If you have two arms like that.. why is it so inconceivable that they could beat most NWAACC teams? Especially with Joey Lind and Travis Snider in the lineup too? It's not like I was saying that they'd beat the LCC's, CBC's & BCC's of the NWAACC, but Grays Harbor, Centralia, Yakima, Centralia, Pierce? Yeah, I think so. In fact - I think I might just be right. Who gets that fired up about a post? Hey - it was just a post... maybe I was wrong. My deepest apologies. Hey, the Pirates and the Cougs have to win sometime, huh.
This post was edited on 6/1 10:28 PM by Wildcat alumif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

WC you are completely wrong

I'm going to use basketball examples since you mentioned the (non-baseball)Seahawks earlier...This past season UPS defeated a Division 1 team, when I played for Green River we defeated Evergreen State College...And back to strictly baseball; a good JC beats a poor to average D3 team most days of the week. I understand the point you were trying to make but you got carried away. Anyway you flip it, a good JC team is better than an average D3 team...to say "the jump from JC to D3 is huge" is simply a false statement. The reason is that many JC players are AT LEAST good enough to already be playing D3, the reason they go to a JC (this especially applies to some of the better JC programs) is so that they can go on to D1 or get drafted, which does happen some times at the JC level. When I was at GRCC there was a pitcher who was drafted in the 4th round by the Expos...I could go on and on explaining where you're overreaction is out of line. And to say that one of the best HS teams in the nation could beat many JC teams, is nowhere near being a ridiculous claim. LOL .yawn.
This post was edited on 6/2 5:20 PM by 253vetif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Re: WC you are completely wrong

And to continue the thought in hoops terms...do you think Rainier Beach from a couple years ago with the Stewart twins, Giles, Love, and TWill could beat some JC teams??? It's a hypothetical question, no need to answer.

Re: Wolffy

i disagree, i think NWAACC sports for the most part are a joke as far as im concerned, especially NWAACC East, ive personally seen CBC, Spokane Falls, Yakima Valley, Big Bend, and Wenatchee Valley baseball players for like three years, a lot of them personally, now and i think Jackson could compete with these colleges for sure, im sorry but NWAACC East is a complete joke, there are a few great players and some great teams but some of them are just plain horrible ( Blue Mountain CC!) Jackson i know would beat Blue Mountain CC, anyways just my two cents

Now I'm convinced...

that you really don't know what you are talking about, Whitworth-Coug. My Connie Mack team played the Jackson boys a few times this summer (their best 6 players play for the Seattle Stars), and they are a special group. All 6 of these kids are legitimate Division I and pro prospects. A couple of them, I'm sure we'll be watching on TV in a few years.

I've coached in the NWAACC... Jackson's HS team this year could beat most teams in that league. It sounds like you are a bit out of touch over there in the GSL... or maybe you've just decided to start watching more X country events... something that your league is actually good at. Sorry, couldn't resist.

PS - Check out this site... these guys are really one of the best HS summer teams I've ever seen in my years coaching HS and college ball in Washington.

http://www.seattlestars.com
This post was edited on 7/25 10:14 PM by Wildcat alumif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Seattle Stars website

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT