ADVERTISEMENT

Kings under the bus with Murphy

When lies become consensus truths.

Notice that Ms Maurstad never says who this girl is that was enticed to transfer. But here's the deal; the transfer rules are the same for both privates and publics.

Ms Maurstad: "A talented basketball player living in Lake Stevens can’t say, gee, I would really like to play basketball at Lakewood but they can say, I’d really like to play at AMHS."

That is just flat a lie. Any player in the whole state can play at Lakewood if they'd like under the exact same conditions as ATM or Kings or Lynden Christian. Do some students transfer to play sports? Yes, and that happens more in public schools than it does in private schools. For every private school athlete anyone wants to name that transferred into a private school from a public after starting high school I can name two high quality athletes that transferred out of a private school and into a larger public school. Heck, literally 19 out of 20 questionable transfers are from public school to public school. Lakes, Hoquiam, Richland, Lewis&Clark, Bothell,... have all had their fair share of transfers from small private and public schools.

If you “want the teams in the Cascade League to stand a fighting chance” then support youth programs with your time and $$$, support coaches instead of pressuring them,…. See the problem with the Cascade publics isn’t lack of athletic talent, it’s a lack of athletic development, coaching, effective community support and instilled dedication to excellence. Here’s a news flash Ms Maurstad, without ATM and Kings the Cascade Conference stand no chance. ATM and Kings are all that stands between the Cascade Conference and total joke status.

Now everyone from the Cascade jump on me and tell me how you or your kids work just as hard, put in the hours, how the community does support the team… Because I don’t believe it, not for a second. You might THINK you work as hard, are as dedicated and the community is as focused on excellence as anyone but see I’ve lived in Colfax and Pullman too long to buy your “poor us, it isn’t our fault” pile of turds.

Thank you col-pul. I could not have said that better. Could you post that on the 2A boys board?

Bud, Your missing the point

You know my friend we go along way back, we have tipped a few and visited on every aspect of the game but I do agree with what she is saying. Or you in fact are missing the point and Ms Maurstad has a good one.

lets just say back in the day if my kid was a power house player and if she didn’t have a chance to accomplish the things she wanted because of being on a turd of a team and some 206, 253, 425ers or whatever the case IE: Privates came along or even in our valley some private teams came a knockin and needed that integral part to make a serious run at the big show and the child was all willing and wanting, do you really think there isn’t some discount rate offered to the family for private school? Do you not think it happens? Seriously?

I Laugh out loud if you don’t think so my friend. I know o so very well that is the case.

You know I love ya like a brutha but I respectfully disagree on this issue.

Re: When lies become consensus truths.

Where have you been Col-pul? I miss you on the other boards. But, you are exactly right. I know I often have joked with you and even disagreed with you, but this needs to be posted everywhere on these boards. Please do it!

Re: Bud, Your missing the point

Ya'll are very quick to point your fingers with no proof then assume it is the truth. A "you know what I mean", doesn't count as evidence.
As a King's coach for almost 20 years, I have not seen one athlete on scholarship. I have seen a number of very good athletes leave the school due to a need for big competition, due to our academic standards, and due to a lack of funds. I have seen many (at least 5 this year) athletes want to come to King's but due to transfer rules that would make them sit a year, not come.
If we did recruit and give scholarships then why is this happening? Maybe our success is quality programs with quality kids of whome most have been in the school since grade school.
I have heard of other schools doing illegal actions but without evidence I am not going to point fingers.

Re: Bud, Your missing the point

It happens, before high school years, selective eyes know the athletic ability, all this carefully orchestrated before getting to the big show. Played together on select teams, typically from different districts, yet end up, well you know the rest.

On special cases are willing to deal with the one year penalty when in high school.

Trust me it happens. And if you, my bud col-pul or anyone else don’t believe that it doesn’t,

Well said person is very naive.

I do that a lot.

Hey, good to hear from you Impartial! Merry Xmas to you and your wonder family.

Yes, we all know that private schools sole purpose is to screw public schools out of sports victories they deserve. You know how I hate to let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory but...

The transfer and eligibility rules are the same for publics and privates, absolutely exactly, to put a finer point on it.

Percentage wise, statistically privates don't win anymore trophies or championships than publics overall in the major sports (VB, FB, BB, Baseball, track and softball).

None of these advantages seem to help the majority of private school with poor programs, nor do they seem to disadvantage the minority of public schools with good programs.

But lets put facts side and say that yes, having an equivalent school district with a 50 mile radius which overlaps other "districts" is the reason no other Cascade team can get to state, well other than getting beat by NWC public school in the crossover EVERY SINGLE TIME. What are the alternatives?

Don't allow them to recruit? News flash the only evidence there is of recruiting is they develop a program that good players want to play for. The only enticement that has been offered here is basically, 'they have a program a rational dedicated player wants to play for'. Even if these WIAA band "scholarships" are real, tricky folks them private school people are, that would mean it cost $zero for those parents to send their child to that school. Soooo, doing the math that would mean a parent sending there kids to that private school instead of sending them the public would save AN EYE POPPING $zero dollars.

So if not financial then why would a parent take the privet up on that "free education"? Better product? top flight educationally? Athletics? Their child will be well coached, get to play with others dedicated to development and with commitment to their joined endeavor? Sorry, as a parent those aren't perks, aren't deal sweeteners; they're expectations I have for my public schools.

Make them opt up or form a separate league? Great, then we do what some other states that have done and we create sports academies. Then anyone with any talent ends up "opting up" to the majors. Once you make that segregation the gloves are off as far as acquiring talent. The private schools would no longer be banned from open recruitment and would become select teams like they are in states where privates and select schools have their own divisions. If this happened in Washington I vote for Pullman and Colfax to opt up to the higher classification and get some of the 5-7 girls from Garfield, Palouse, Oaksdale, Colton, St John... every year to come to Colfax or Pullman. Heck, Pullman would be a big draw from the large but mediocre sports in Moscow. As a public if you wanted to play at the highest level and not some DII equivalent, which the WIAA would then become, you'd have to get on board with College level recruiting, JUST like in every other state that has segregated. If that's what you want then fine, kick them out or force them out of the system of transfer and eligibility everyone abides by now.

Do private schools have some advantages, like playing small school ball while drawing from urban size populations and facilities? Yes, for some there are advantage. As, I might point out, it is an advantage to have a small tight knit community. The question is are advantages unfair? I don't see any actual evidence that the advantages some privates have are unfair.

Maybe that’s because my kids went to Colfax and Pullman and by some coincidence, some freakish run of luck I guess, the privates haven’t kept either from anything they disserved. I know one of these days we’re going to run up against one of those all star private school teams and won’t stand a chance but until then I’d just like to keep the illusion alive we’d be competitive. How many trophies have private schools cost EV now? Seems they’ve cost the rest of the Cascade league trophy cases full……..well, except for that state qualifying round with the NWC.
This post was edited on 12/25 4:43 PM by col-pul

Perfect Post

Too bad the Everett Herald doesn't post letters this long, or from people whose children actually won a few games at public schools.

Re: When lies become consensus truths.

Just a couple of thoughts...

#1 Who cares who the the girl was that was enticed to transfer? The fact is that at least the Kings of old wasn't above it. You're right there are also publics that do it. Sealth found out that karma can be a bitch.

#2 You're also right that both publics and privates can share in the shame of a kid leaving his actual community, where he/she rolls out the trash cans on Monday morning, only to go compete somewhere else in sports just because the greener grass at the powerhouse shines brighter than their community school.
But the parents and supporters of the private schools, in this case Kings and Archbishop Murphy do work those summer AAU tournaments harder to "suggest" to high level youth players that their skills would be better plied and more greatly appreciated at their fine school.
I don't think the majority of public school parents even think about trying to persuade kids to change schools because it wouldn't occur to them that Little Johnny/Susie from Tacoma, some 50 miles away, would drive all the way to South Nowhere just to play hoops.

#3 Now the call to support youth development as the key to success is, I agree, a great idea, but shouldn't the actual communities that develop these kids get a "rebate" when they leave Monroe, Lake Stevens, etc...after 8th grade and go to Murphy so they can continue their AAU spawned dream somewhere other than their own high school?

#4 The truth is, it isn't the WIAA or the coaches at Kings or Murpy who are the problem, it's the parents that send their kids to a school, other than the one they pay taxes for, due to "athletic related reasons"...earth to parents, that's called AAU and is supposed to be restricted to the summer and other non-school related times.

And if it's true what you say that the majority of basketball skills are developed before high school (which I agree with), then explain to me the need to take your highly developed skills out of town just to create a "super team" on a campus that represents no town big, small or otherwise.
Why not help make your Sultan, Granite, Lynnwood, Ridgefield or Lakewood a little better. Why not inspire the kid that lives next door (the one you grew up with) to work harder, maybe lead by example, work on some life skills dealing with different types of people for when you can't buy your way in to a totally homogenous community...Oh that's right, "Winning IS everything."

If it's the exposure, scholarship thing, your great abilities created in your "local youth program" will get you noticed wherever you are and regardless of your team's record. If kids from Lopez Island can play division one basketball then anyone can get a chance.

If it's really Wednesday chapel you're looking for or small classes, then great, why not learn the gospel and calculus until 3:00 p.m. and then head back to where you live to play sports the way high school sports were intended?
Hats off to the "true communities" in Whatcom County that create great youth programs where their kids grow up to represent the community they live in.
Public or private it's all the same..."Shame on those that sell out their own community for AAU inspired high school sports.

The only difference between some publics, other privates and Murphy, is that Murhphy has more parents and players that should be ashamed due to the previously mentioned reasons!

And a final thought: "joke status", "pile of turds", that's a lot of hostility for living in a place as serene and beautiful as the Palouse.
Considering the majority of your self admitted knowledge of the Cascade Conference, it's athletes, communities and coaches comes from reading the internet, all I can say is wow, I think you need to get out and watch some high school golf and try to relax!

Message: parents should NOT act in the best interest of their kids

So, if a parent decides that their local school district and athletic programs are substandard and wants to help them succeed academically, have a better athletic experience, worship the Lord and have a positive atmosphere at school, they are out of luck?

If you're upset about parents deciding to "leave" their community to send their kids to a better school, make your local schools better. Your best athletes will stay. Interesting that the best wrestlers stay in Lake Stevens and the best football players stay in Bellevue.

I will say that your argument is a good one...it's what I would do if I were a coach in a public school district and my students were wondering about transferring to a private school. But I fail to see logic or fairness in the argument that FORCING people to stay in their communities is really what this country is all about.

One suggestion is maybe to conduct "exit interviews" in a polite manner with families who are leaving after 8th grade for a private school. What was it about the private school that they were attracted to? Was it really that they were being illegally recruited at summer tournaments? Or was it because of better academics, smaller class sizes, respectful school environment, good coaching and sending your kid to a school where families care DEEPLY about their kids' education?

To me, the parents and players of Archbishop Murphy should be proud, commended and applauded for building a school from scratch to the point where people are angry at them for being so successful. It's truly a sign that they've arrived.

Congratulations to the AMHS Community and all you do to educate young people in a positive environment. Keep up the great work!

Re: Message: parents should NOT act in the best interest of their kids

Succeed academically, GREAT. Maybe check out the test and WASL scores of your district versus ATM (Oops, they don't have to take state mandated tests)
Worship the Lord 'till the cows come home, TERRIFIC. (Hmm...can't be done on Sunday at the dinner table, etc...)
If there's a positive atmosphere amongst the school children that the wrestlers attend at Lake Stevens it must surely be there for the basketball players, right?
Leaving because your priority is to; CREATE OR BE A PART OF AN ATHLETIC POWERHOUSE...isn't what it's supposed to be about! Pretty simple.

One issue you forget Maui,

Some communities don't develop players so a student and/or parent has to send their child else where to get quality development of that child's skill, talent, given ability, bliss....

Most of ATM's all state-league-schalarship players would never have become all state-leauge-schalarship players had they enrolled or stayed in certain public school systems.

And that isn't just for athletics. Y'all on that side say sports should never be a factor is in transfers, the WIAA agrees even if I don't. But by seperating out sports YOU have made it a factor. Where are the complaints that privates took all the good musically talented for their band?

AND BTW; those parents still pay their local taxes and fees, still abide by local laws and ordinances and still vote in local elections. That is all they are bound to do; they don't owe you, your child or your child's sports team any more than that.

It is no more the fault of parents sending thier child to the school which they feel give their child the best oppertunity at over all success that your school's team suchs.

Now, my kids went to public school and I'm very much not religious. I just don't think other kids parents owe my child any more.

I hear what you are saying Maui97

Your arguments could certainly be used against anybody from your community that wants to send their kids to AMHS. But I don't see them as valid. Not everybody sees things the way you do.

Nor should they be required to.

With respect to AMHS, it's not as simple as just saying: "They are leaving to create an athletic powerhouse." Chief Sealth girls basketball...yes!

But AMHS offers an overall sound high school experience that is attractive to many people. The athletics are great sure, but the overall campus atmosphere is respectful, there is a commitment to treating people with respect in the Christian tradition, and students are challenged with an academic workload that prepares the them for college (and not wasting time on the WASL).

Big picture...AMHS runs a high-quality school. So, some people want to send their kids there. If that's what they think is best for their student, they should be allowed to do so. Some people can't afford the tuition or want to their kids to stay in their communities. I can see that argument. But I don't see why it's necessary to judge the motivations of anyone who is trying to make decisions about the education of their child, especially when you have no evidence what those motivations really are.
This post was edited on 1/11 9:34 AM by Just Play Football

Re: I hear what you are saying Maui97

You're absoloutely right, not everyone sees things the way I do or should they have to and we can agree to disagree.
I do belive some made the move from their hometowns purely for athletic motivated reasons, and that's the only situation I'm opposed to.
Wasting time on WASL testing...I won't argue one bit.
Some can't afford tuition so they're forced to stay in their own communities, true...and sadly if they're not athletically gifted I suspect they're not being offered any tuition breaks for being a "student in need"!
And as to judging people's motivations for moving...well I've had the pleasure of speaking to some of the parents in question, and there's "NO GUESSING" what the motivation was but you're right, I certainly can't say that about every athlete and their parents.
In the end, "It is what it is."
Can Yankee fans be proud of their accomplishments given the inequities of their situation and the system that allows it? You bet they are.

Now I get it...

Maui97 = embittered closet Kansas City Royals fan!

Just kidding.

I am 100% in agreement that parents who prioritize athletics above academics are completely misguided. It's not doing their kid any long-term service to make decisions on where they send their kid to high school solely based on the athletic program.

But parents do that everywhere, not just private schools. Not every wrestler at Lake Stevens lived in that district in middle school, same for Bellevue football, Rainier Beach boys basketball, or Prairie girls' basketball. I'm sure Col-Pul might argue that Spokane School District even has open enrollment! That's a big population area to draw from!

In the end, Maui, "agree to disagree" is fine with me...but we do agree on at least one point!

Have a better day!
This post was edited on 1/11 1:23 PM by Just Play Football

Re: Now I get it...

Col-pul would argue that the whole state should be open enrolment... because I don't think a kid should be stuck anywhere that they or their parents don't believe is in the child's best interest...however, that has more to do with academics, educational opportunity and learning environment as much as extracurricular....as I don't believe it right to force a kid to live through a rotten basketball program when they want more I also don't think it right for a kid to have to deal with a crappy band program or for that matter no chess club if chess is their bliss....but that's another story.

Hey, I'm a free market kind of guy and when it come to my kids quality makes the sale not some antiquated longing for never were by gone days from 'Hoosiers'. If someone isn't willing to quit their job and only work in their community as in the golden days of yore to support that community's labor pool quality level I don't see where they gets off telling others where their kid can and cannot go to school.
This post was edited on 1/11 2:17 PM by col-pul

Public School Transfer

Here is an interesting article about a public school-to-public school transfer for a prominent athlete's senior year. I'm sure it wasn't for athletic reasons...RIGHT?

Interesting read...

Helmer Makes His Move

Re: Public School Transfer

the rules on in district transfers have changed from when this took place (2006). the rules are now the same as out of district transfers.

Hey, I still wonder....

...why the kid, Schmidt or something like that, was allowed to transfer from a private school to Lakes for his senior year without the family having to fully change residence. That was against the rules just as much then as it is now. Oh wait that's right, his father is a lawyer with $$$ and connections. Had it been an inner city kid from a poor family with the chance at a better education then it would have been just flat wrong for the kid to get to play sports.

Oh, and the reason I care who....

...the girl was is because without a name to check I call bull sh**. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who had a cousin... that transfered to a private school on an athletic scholarship or some such. Yet, when push comes to it no such person exists or they transfered in sixth grade or they did sit out and play JV for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT