ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next year...........

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
The NWC has 4 teams that look solid going into next year: Anacortes, Lynden, Sehome, and Sedro_Woolley all have legitimate aspirations of a State Tournament berth. Anacortes loses Medalia which is a huge hit for the Seahawks, but they have leading scorer Ty Johnson back, and they'll be tough with their backcourt. Lynden will be the favorite to win our Conference next year with 9 players coming back, led by All State Post Scott Hastings. Sedro-Woolley also has 9 players returning, including 3 of their top 4 scorers, for a team that finished 2nd in the NWC this past season. The Cubs are led by big time guard Jackson Price and his 26.7 ppg average. Sehome returns 12, count them, 12 varsity players from a team that made the Regional round this season. The NWC will be tough next year.

Looking around the State, Pullman loses a lot with Race Martin and David Ungerer graduating. They've had an impressive 2 year run. District #3 was down this year with Clover Park losing all of the Division #1 studs it had on the roster the previous 3 seasons. Someone is bound to pop up and become a factor next season. I'm not sure who will pick up the slack in District #4. Hockinson and Mark Morris lose some key guys. In District #5, look for Wapato to make some noise. They made the Regional round this year, and they have a contingent back. In the East, the GNL was very impressive this season. I've got to believe they will have another strong representative when the State Tournament rolls around.

I'm interested to hear what others think, looking ahead to next season.

Hockinson will be in a transition year next year. I don't expect them to make a lot of noise. Huge senior class this year. They lose their 4 leading scorers. Mark Morris loses some guys but they always put together a good team. They return leading scorer Grant Gibb who is a good piece to build around. Ridgefield and RA Long return pretty good groups and could contend for league titles next year over MM.

Just a little insight from down south... sounds like a wild NWC next year for sure. Was very impressed by their teams at the dome this year.

Hock

I don't know if you saw it, but Mark Morris has a freshman point guard who is transferring from Clatskanie to Mark Morris for his sophomore year. Averaged about 28 points a game this year. When you have a great program, players follow.

Oh lovely! I didn't see that. That's been happening for years though, so it's not too surprising. Jeray Key was a big point guard for them years ago and he transferred from another area (can't recall which). Just something that happens when the program is successful! Bakamus runs a good program up there.

That's an excellent question Hock. I remember hearing this same story a few years ago, except it was a 7 footer coming to MM the last time around.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Yep, Kalama fans were furious when a local kid (6'10) decided to attend Mark Morris. They were hooting and hollering "MM is recruiting" every chance they could get but what they don't understand is:

1) Kids like to play at bigger programs or somewhere they might get noticed more
2) MM doesn't need to recruit. As said in reason 1. Athletes are naturally attracted to strong programs.

I forget his name, but that may be the athlete you are remembering.

They had 3 or 4 players 6'8 or taller a few years back. One of which didn't play great in high school and became a top scorer at Clark College and eventually a moderate scorer at Western (Austin Bragg).

Just one of those programs that attracts talent but even in times when talent isn't the best the good coaching of Bakamus elevates them.

Rivals to Hockinson? Yes.

But still gotta give em some respect I suppose :)

There is no doubt that players want to play for the best programs if they have aspirations of playing in college. They also want to play where they can learn and just like Aldridge, Backamus does know how to teach and coach basketball. That Canadian girl is pretty good example. She comes to Prairie because of Aldridge and as soon as Aldridge is gone, so is she. Back to Canada.

From the Daily News 2-25-14

Burghardt to MM; all-Lewis and Clark League picks[/B]: Will Burghardt, the area's second leading scorer this winter, couldn't have had a much better debut season for the Tigers.
It appears it will be his only one.
The Clatskanie freshman is set to transfer to Mark Morris after his family moved to Longview for employment, Monarchs coach Bill Bakamus confirmed Tuesday.
Burghardt scored in double figures in all but one game this year, averaging 19.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game, and was a second-team all-Lewis and Clark League selection.
"As a freshman playing in a senior-dominated, private school-dominated, top-rate league like the Lewis and Clark League was this season. ... He did an excellent job of competing at a high level," Clatskanie coach Lucius Jones wrote in an email.
Also earning second-team all-Lewis and Clark honors was Rainier's Jordan Brittain, who averaged 10.5 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the Columbians.
Clatskanie junior Colten Puzey received an honorable mention, as did Rainier junior Jeff Tripp.
On the girls side, Rainier junior Jenny Westlund was a second-team all-Lewis and Clark pick. Clatskanie's Shelby Weldon received honorable mention.

ADVERTISEMENT