ADVERTISEMENT

Newest WIAA blunder: Just Hide It!

Not fun. Gotta roll with the punches I suppose. How could they avoid this without ranking teams? That would be unethical and would present an implied hierarchy. I'm all for it if we can find a better way but how can we fix this without implying that one district or one team is better than another?

These oddball matches which seem a little unfair to some teams are the real downside of the elimination of the 16 team Tacoma Dome or SunDome tournament. Last year I think Prairie got a raw deal as the winner of the 3/4 Districts and the runner up got a great matchup and ended up at the final 8.

I agree, but I'm still waiting for wasports to reply back with a solution. I'm eager to hear what they present as an alternative.

I think you hit it, unless you rank teams you are going to end up with first round matches that aren't ideal. Who wants to see two really really good teams play in the regionals and be denied a chance to get to Tacoma. I don't think there will ever be the perfect system. I am not opposed to some sort of rankings mainly because those rankings have more times than not, nailed the top finishers at state.

Re: Newest WIAA blunder: Just Hide It! *See latest Open Letter**

WIAA continues to ignore the member schools and coaches associations to whom which they are to serve. Not sure what the basis for the contempt is but is no doubt rooted to serve something other than their intended purpose.
Read the open letter to the WIAA.
http://blogs.columbian.com/high-school-sports/2015/03/02/coaches-association-sends-open-letter-wiaa-regarding-state-basketball-tournaments/

The root of the problem, as stated by others, is rooted in the district allocation criteria. It is as simple as the WIAA not willing to put in the work that it takes to maintain a fair process. This would take effort due to the reclassifications of schools every 2 years. The WIAA takes the easy way out. Look what gets covered up behind closed doors.
They wouldn't have to hide anything if it was structured fairly. Teams shouldn't be faced with the delema of if they should play to win or not. Talk about a system that is designed to fail!
Think about that. They blame schools for considering manipulating their system. What? Why should they have to? Reeks of corruption or incompetence. Pick one.
It alines with their using finances as an excuse to combine classifications to reduce rental of the dome(s).
It also reduces their personal work load immensely!!
Their salaries stay the same. Coincidence? Not!!

John Kitzhaber is looking for work. Just sayin'

This post was edited on 3/2 6:23 PM by wasports

ADVERTISEMENT