ADVERTISEMENT

NHSCA STATE WRESTLING QUALIFIER IN REPUBLIC APRIL 21ST

Republic High School will be the site on April 21st for their 3rd annual NHSCA WASHINGTON STATE QUALIFIER wrestling tournament. This will be a FOLKSTYLE (Collegiate) tournament. The NHSCA (National High School Coaches Association) is the non-profit governing body who brings the HS Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Nationals. With the NHSCA sanctioning this event, wrestlers and coaches DO NOT need to have USA or AAU membership cards.
At the bottom of this message you'll find a link to a printable registration form (adobe acrobat), which provides nearly all info on the tournament itself. If you need a form in WORD, e-mail me and I'll reply with the attachment.

PRE-REGISTRATION deadline is Thursday, April 19th, for $20. Registrations will be accepted at the door with a $5 penalty.

T-SHIRTS will also be available. Pre-ordered/paid for $10; at the door for $15 (subject to availability).

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH concessions will be available and served at the venue.

SCHEDULE INFO:
Registration & Weigh-in: 7-9am
Wrestling to begin after completion of bracketing (roughly 10am).

REQUIREMENTS:
USA AND/OR AAU memberships are NOT required, as it is sanctioned by the NHSCA.
SINGLETS are required, but cannot be school-issued uniforms.
THIS IS NOT A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT, therefore, you do not need to be a Washington State resident to compete in this tournament.

DIVISIONS:
College/Open
High School: 9 thru 12
Middle School: 7 thru 9 (Freshmen have the option of MS OR HS)
Elementary: 3 thru 6
Little Tyke: K thru 3 (Third graders have option of Elementary)

ALL WEIGHT CLASSES are displayed on the registration form (no weight allowances will be given; however, you may bump up if over). LITTLE TYKES will not have set classes; they will be determined by like-sized kids and number of participants. PLEASE LIST AN APPROXIMATE WEIGHT OF YOUR LITTLE TYKE ON THE REGISTRATION FORM.

BOUTS:
Matches will be officiated by WOA certified referees. Round times are provided on the registration form. Wrestling will be conducted on full-sized mats, with exception of LITTLE TYKE division; depending on numbers, they may be using 1/2 or quarter mats.

BRACKETING FORMAT:
Brackets will be a combination of Round Robin bouts and Double Elimination line brackets, determined by number of participants. For example, SIX or less entries will be put into a 5-session Round Robin (with losers wrestling all five sessions), 7 or 8 will be in an eight-man double elim, and nine or more entries will be in a 16-double elim format. All line bracket entries will be guaranteed three matches, and there WILL BE A CHALLENGE MATCH FOR A TRUE SECOND PLACING.

AWARDS:
Medals will be given to the top four finishers in EVERY division and each weight class.

Unlimited exhibition opportunities will be given (within reason of safety) to all competitors. A large volume of quality mat time will be one of our primary directives.

QUALIFYING FOR NATIONALS:
Top four finishers in each weight will qualify for the NHSCA NATIONAL OPEN WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS, held on June 16-19 in Myrtle Beach, SC. HS Freshmen qualifying in the HS division have option of wrestling in MS at Nationals. College/Open entries need not qualify to compete at Nationals. There IS NOT a National Event for the Little Tykes, therefore, they will not be qualifying for anything more than bragging rights! E-mail me and I'll send you more info on the NHSCA and their National Event in Myrtle Beach.

LODGING OPTIONS
There are three motels with limited availability in Republic. Their info will be provided in another thread posted to this message. RV'ers may dry camp in the HS parking lot, or contact the local RV Parks (info also forthcoming). PLEASE contact me to discuss other lodging arrangements/options, if necessary.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Don Maycumber
cookiey@televar.com
(509) 775-3288 home
(509) 570-8114 cell
This post was edited on 4/9 4:08 PM by Cucumber86if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Republic Qualifier Registration Form

LODGING OPTIONS

MOTELS:
NORTHERN INN (host hotel)
Andre & Kathy Ciais (See-us)
888-801-1068
509-775-1068
www.northern-inn.com
Two queens: $55 (includes tax)
One queen: $50 (includes tax)
These are the rates exclusive to the wrestling families. Be sure to mention this to get these prices.

Prospector Inn
John & Valerie Hester
888-844-6480
509-775-3361
www.theprospectorinn.com
rates start at $55 and up, depending on room selection and occupancy. Please refer "wrestling rate" for an additional 5% discount.

Klondike Motel
Rocky and Darlene Gliddon
800-213-2812
509-775-3555
wrestler rates start at $44 and up, depending on room selection and occupancy. Refer to "wrestling rates" to receive discounted prices.

RV PARKS:

Miller's RV Park (5 1/2 miles N of Republic on HWY 21)
Featuring Full Hookups
$20 per night plus tax

PLEASE CONTACT ME IF OTHER LODGING ARRANGEMENTS NEED TO BE MADE.

Don Maycumber
cookiey@televar.com
509-775-3288 home
509-570-8114 cell

I would like to congratulate Republic for an outstanding job this weekend!
Everything ran smoothly and was well organized! My only suggestions would be to maybe have it earlier in the season. Two weeks after state would be better, before Baseball season and kids are out of shape. I think they would see more numbers in all brackets.

Post Tournament Recap

First off, I'd like to give a huge THANK YOU to all of you that hit the road to make the trip to this tournament. Mr. & Mrs. Rick Stutesman won the award for farthest traveled, logging in over 900 miles round trip, coming from Vancouver, WA. We also were represented by wrestlers from the Lynnwood/Mountlake Terrace area, as well as folks coming from as far South as Zillah and Clarkston from the SE corridor. Many other kids came from Spokane, and we had at least two families coming from Kellogg, Idaho. I owe a special debt of thanks to Mrs. Loman and Mrs. Squires, both from Kellogg, who worked a scoretable all day AFTER driving roughly 200 miles earlier in the morning. Your efforts really made THE difference in our event running smoothly.
We ended up with 106 competitors, ranging from Kindergarten through Grade 12. The numbers were modest, to say the least, but I hope that we were able to provide all the mat time they desired. The competition did seem to make up for limited volume.

We did employ the skills of four certified referees:

Andy Lampe of Omak
Bill Higgins of Nespelem
Rich Tschirgi of Spokane
Pat Gertz of Spokane

I'd like to thank these guys for putting in a long day while providing/maintaining a professional and civil environment. Not only are they quality officials, but decent men to boot; certainly money well-spent.

In closing, I'd like to also thank all of my local staff and families for putting in the hours to make this thing fly. It's easy to take their labors for granted when they're called upon year after year. Without their help, there would NOT be a tournament; and finally, to my wife, Yvonne and our twins, Gilbert and Gabriela. Not only did you again pitch in to help get this off the ground, but you continually tolerate my sometimes interpreted obsession/passion for the sport, often neglecting what's really important.

Respectfully,

Don Maycumber
Republic Wrestling

RESULTS TO FOLLOW SHORTLY

Forgot something else

I'd also like to commend four guys for "coming out of retirement" in adorning singlets and providing some great exhibition opportunities for some of our HS competitors.
Seth Schertenleib of Republic, Eddie Bush of Chelan, and Kody Kramer and Tony Ildefonso, both of Oroville, limbered up and knocked off some rust, tying up with some of the next generation studs. I could have sworn that they almost enjoyed the action again!

You raise good points.....

Thank you for the generous props. I also felt, overall, that the event ran well. I also appreciate your ideas; as we are always striving to get input from all directions to make our tournament even better.
We have considered, and will again entertain the thought of hosting the event in March. I agree with you that we will generate larger numbers, particularly in the MS and HS divisons by running it at that time. The only problem we have with this, however, is that our own program is very actively involved with the "WASHINGTON LITTLE GUY WRESTLING LEAGUE", and all the CARIBOU TRAIL communities have a wrestling "LITTLE LEAGUE" their own during this same time. When Republic hosts a Little Guy tournament in March, it's awfully tough to secure the school for two weekends in the same month. Additionally, due to the scheduling conflict, our Little Tyke and Elementary numbers would drop considerably. If we did do this, we could eliminate the Little Tyke (K-3) division, but that one seems to be catching on strong....so we'll see.

These are all the things we have to weigh in on when selecting a date.

I'm not sure who you are, Mr. 252, but thanks again for the positive plug and I am pleased to hear that you had a great experience.

Don

RESULTS ~ LITTLE TYKES (K-3)

RESULTS FOR LITTLE TYKE DIVISION (K-3)

38-42 pounds
1. Tyrell Sims/Spokane
2. Nathaniel Foley/Spartans
3. Hunter Rounds/Oroville

46-51
1. Aaron Childers/Spartans
2. Andrew Bailey/ Oroville
3. Drake Fox/ Oroville
4. Tony Nichols/Grand Coulee

54-58
1. Dominic Guerra/Warden
2. Jacob Griffin/Republic
3. Joe Peasley/Wilbur
4. Tristan Maloret/Republic

60-64
1. Trevor Peterson/Oroville
2. Jared Cavasier/Spokane
3. Austin Rimestad/Tonasket
4. JJ Glover/Oroville

66-70
1. Connor Stegeman/Spokane
2. Demetrius Sims/East Wenatchee

79-81
1. Paiton Johnson/Oroville
2. Tyler Minarcin/Oroville

91-101
1. JR Alvarez/Wenatchee
2. Kellie Moore/Dayton

RESULTS ~ ELEMENTARY (3-6)

RESULTS FOR ELEMENTARY DIVISION (3-6)

1. Trustin Taft/Deer Park
2. Trevor Cavasier/Spokane

1. Cole Harris/Deer Park
2. Emery Maupin/Selkirk (Ione)
3. Mitchell Barney/Colfax
4. Walker Baumbach/Republic

1. Dylan Nelson/Deer Park
2. Casey Jerome/Kellogg, ID

1. Lowden Smith/Dayton
2. Lucas Rittel/Republic
3. Anthony Childers/Spartans (Spokane)

1. Corey Squires/Kellogg, ID
2. Dylan Beeler/Clarkston
3. Dustin Gallas/Oroville
4. Marshall West/Tonasket

1. Spencer Jones/Puyallup
2. Levi Hardy/Colfax

1. Charles Eldred/Reardan
2. Gil Ildefonso/Oroville

1. Trevor Grant/Selkirk
2. Derek Ash/Tonasket

RESULTS ~ MIDDLE SCHOOL (7-9)

RESULTS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL DIVISION (7-9)

1. Gilbert Maycumber/Republic
2. Cole Jerome/Kellogg, ID

1. Jared Berlinger/Salk (Spokane)
2. Kyle Kirkendall/Republic
3. Jacob Moore/Dayton
4. Daniel Boehme/Cle Elum

1. Brock Beeler/Clarkston
2. Brandon Cavasier/Spokane

1. Nathan Brown/Spokane
2. William Fisk/Reardan
3. Stephen O'Donnell/Brier Terrace
4. Alex Alvarez/Oroville

1. Austin Rollins/Republic
2. Ryn Rollins/Republic
3. Cody Gustafson/Clarkston
4. Darren Damon/Clarkston

1. Scotty Bacon/Republic
2. Riley Buzzard/Tonasket
3. Mateo Benitez/Tonasket

1. Austen Campbell/Clarkston
2. Dustin Silverthorn/Tonasket
3. Nick Cavasier/Spokane

1. Billy Rhoads/Deer Park
2. Kelan Sax/Selkirk
3. Lee Leavell/Tonasket
4. Hunter Rook/Brier Terrace

1. Taylor Call/Brier Terrace
2. Brandon Hudson/Tonasket
3. Daython Maltone/Colfax

1. Dalton Cavasier/Spokane
2. Martin Chamberlain/Jenkins (Chewelah)

1. Raleigh Beckstrom/Reardan
2. Damil Vashniakov/Brier Terrace

1. Kendall Irby/Brier Terrace
2. Justin Griffin/Republic

1. Lance Fernandez/Brier Terrace
2. Josh Ertl/Brier Terrace

RESULTS ~ HIGH SCHOOL (9-12)

RESULTS FOR HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION (9-12)

1. JJ Gubler/Republic
2. Sam Halverson/Lake Roosevelt
3. Daniel O'Shaughnessy/Kittitas

1. Randyn Stutesman/Hudson Bay