ADVERTISEMENT

Okanogan taking Vashon to the woodshed.......

Re: Okanogan 70 Vashon 60 FINAL

Is Norton a Freshman? He doesn't show up on last year's State Tournament roster.

A 10 point win is not really taking a team to the woodshed. King's win over Hoquiam, however, with that 25 point run ...

Took it off of a tweet that I read. Don't have any other info.

Jessie Norton is a Junior, as is Sam Yates. Vashon is going to return strong next year with just 1 senior graduating.

"A 10 point win is not really taking a team to the woodshed."

Have you ever heard of clearing your bench. The game was not close!

Okanogan is legit, 2 bigs and a great point. They will be tough in Yakima

"No Quarter Asked, None Given", knowing that, the Woodshed was looming large in the third quarter when the Pirates started scrappin' back. They cut the lead, that had been as large as 19, down to single digits late in the fourth quarter, but Okanogan an excellant freethrow shooting team kept them at bay. All starters for both teams were still in the game with less than 10 seconds to play when both coaches cleared their benches.

Okanogan runs a very good short corner offense and why not when you have the bookends of Townsend and Vanderwiede to pound it into. Townsend is to 1A Basketball what John Brockman was to the PAC 10; they even look the same. Both these guys come in at 6'3" or better and weigh in at 210 plus. They run the floor well and always hustle. They will also run the high post on you and beyond, especially Townsend will extend out beyond the freethrow line. He will shoot if left open, soft shot, good rotation, nice arc, good shooter! Rivas is just bottled lightning. That kid frustrated Vashon all day long. He did not shoot well from the outside (although I think he can), he just stole the ball almost at will and scored off of his steals. He slashes to the basket well. Rivas and Perez at the top of the 2/3 zone are a force, both quick and frustrating.

What's going to beat Okanogan? Maybe Kings, haven't seen them play, I just hear how good they are, and I believe it. Another team could catch Okanogan if they get the benefit of a sympathetic officiating crew. This is not a slap against the officials today. They saw it one way, whereas, another crew could call the game totally different. Okanogan is physical down low and a number of calls could be seen totally different by different eyes (that's the homer in me). I would have my slasher take it to Vanderwiede. He is good, but more likely to foul and with him in trouble you could have some ability to negate Townsend...Maybe? Rivas...Good luck and take care of the ball.

Vashon: 14 boys on Varsity this year, 12 back next year. Huge props to Jessie Norton today for keeping Vashon in the game. He scored 43 points from all over the floor, broke the VHS scoring record (that he already held) against a first class opponent. Andy Sears great season and he will have the Pirates back and better next year.
Have fun all, enjoyed the season. Good Luck Nisqually; Go Pirates! Voice of Vashon signing out until next December.

Lol. Thank you for helping out. So you agree that Vashon was being taken to the woodshed at the end of 3 quarters when they were down 19 points as I originally posted. Thank's also for clearing up my inaccuracy about Okanogan "clearing their bench." I think it's admirable that the Pirates fought back to single digits at one point in the 4th quarter, but the bottom line is they lost by double digits to a "superior" team, regardless of the officiating.
I have no doubt Vashon will be heard from next season. FDL seems to have a good pulse on the Nisqually and he believes they will be legit. Best of luck in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT