ADVERTISEMENT

Prosser/Othello

Sep 17, 2011
What is Going thru Prosser head coach mind as he sits and thinks about getting "Outmatched" against the Huskies last night after his statements to the Tri City Herald this past week? Othello football seems to always start slow and finish the season strong going into the playoffs. Is this Othello team for real? Do they have what it takes to make a Great run into the Playoffs?

That's the second time I heard prossers coach dismissed Othello...what did he say?

I don't see any disrespect here, he was stating what he thought about matchups and keys for Prosser.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/09/12/2098466/liberty-christian-strives-to-knock.html#storylink=misearch

Prosser at Othello, 7 p.m. Friday:
An early-season matchup of top-10 teams will showcase two high-flying offenses.
The Mustangs feature quarterback Ryan Fassler and receivers Danny Raap and Sterling Clark. The Huskies have quarterback David Garza and receivers Juston Lind and Trevor Walker.
Whichever team makes the biggest plays will be the one that escapes with a key CWAC victory.
"I think they will have a really hard time matching up with us," Prosser coach Benji Sonnichsen said. "I think the key will be getting some big-time plays on offense, and then getting the ball back so we can make more of them."
Both teams are undefeated, though Prosser's win over Kamiakin in overtime in the opener should give the Mustangs confidence that they can play with anyone in the state.
"I think there was a sense of accomplishment in that win," Sonnichsen said. "Kamiakin was a big lift."

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/09/12/2098466/liberty-christian-strives-to-knock.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

"I think they will have a really hard time matching up with us"...

I can almost guarantee that Othello felt disrespected...

And that the Prosser coach probably won't be commenting about his team's matchup advantages in the newspaper any time soon!

I have no stake in this, but I fail to see how that's disrespectful. It sounds like a coach being confident in his team to me....
ohwell.r191677.gif

It's not inherently "disrespectful" I agree.

But it may not have been the best choice to come out in the paper and say how confident he was in his team...especially when he was COMPARING his team to Othello with the "matchups" remark.

Regardless, it looks like a pretty stupid comment in hindsight because his team got pasted 30-14.

What about all those great matchups, Coach?

3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 9/17 12:09 PM by Everybody Calm Down

There was the comment about the perceived mismatches, and then the comment about getting the ball back and doing it again. The second comment was the one of disrespect, in my opinion. It could be interpreted as, "We are going to make big plays on offense because Othello cant stop us, and we're going to keep on doing it, because they cant stop us." I'm sure the kids in Othello felt real good after the win.

Regaurdless of the comments made by coach Sonnichsen, the kids from both teams played with a ton of heart, like it was a playoff contest. Something tells me that both teams will meet a few months from now. Lets just hope we're talking about how the kids played well, and not about what coaches said.

At first look, i didnt think Prossers Coach was being disrespectful, however, i do see how it can be disrespectful. How could he even think that Othello's db's would have a hard time matching up with his recievers. After looking at the stats, both Raap and Clark looked to be kept in check most of the night. I would think he feels a little awkward after friday nights game. both defenses shut down each others aerial attack, however the huskies were able to run the ball as usual, where the prosser running attack couldn't get off the ground. great game to watch, felt like a playoff game from the first whistle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT