QB Pre-Snap

Discussion in 'Ask the Ref' started by IDieSkating, Jul 15, 2006.

1. IDieSkating

IDieSkating Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've heard this: The QB is not allowed to step back out from behind the center once he is in position to receive the snap.

But I have also heard that the QB can pull his hands out and stand up, but cannot take a step back.

Which, if either, is true?

To further verify, if Team A is on Offense, the QB gets under center, gives a call such as "Down" or "Go" or "Ready", but stands up and checks the coverage, audibles, or just checks to make sure everyone is in the right spot, is this an illegal play if he does not move his feet?

2. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing illegal about anything you describe, as long as his movements don't siumulate action at the snap.

How are things with your dad?

3. IDieSkating

Expand Collapse

Not so good. Docs think his kidneys maybe shutting down. Weird stuff.

Thanks for the info. Our school has just been having some coaches complain lately about that, just wanted to clarify.

4. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Glad to help.

Sorry to hear that. We lost my father-in-law in January. Had open heart surgery. His heart responded great but his kidneys and liver couldn't handle the stress of it all. He'll be in our prayers.

5. IDieSkating

Expand Collapse

Another question.

Just an update. The doctors told us that he only has a few weeks left. He's been in hospice care for about a month now. It's been tough. This, plus football and school, well... it's been rough. I'll just be glad when he doesn't have to suffer anymore. He sure got a kick out of seeing me on the 2A GSHL League Preview though, and we watch gametape every week, since he can't come to the games.

So I had another question. Watching the film, I noticed that when I was attempting to downblock a defensive lineman, he attempted to grab my helmet with both hands and try to throw me down. It didn't work, but I just wanted to know if it was legal.

6. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Re: Another question.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I feel your pain. I lost my dad when I was 19. Keep him as comfortable as possible and spend as much time with him as you can. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

To your question, no it's not legal. Offensive players must block at or below the shoulders. Defensive players are not allowed to head slap. I'd include your play in that rule. From time to time, you'll see NFL defenders called for a head slap.

7. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear about your dad. I feel your pain. I lost my dad when I was 19. Keep him as comfortable as possible and spend as much time with him as you can. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

To your question, no it's not legal. Offensive players must block at or below the shoulders. Defensive players are not allowed to head slap. I'd include your play in that rule. From time to time, you'll see NFL defenders called for a head slap.

8. FBRef

FBRef Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

9. IDieSkating

Expand Collapse

Thank you very much. The past couple days I've been with him and talking. He's very out of it. I just wish he could stay around to see the rest of my football career.

And thank you very much. I had figured it would be. I used to love watching NFL films on guys like Deacon Jones with my dad, just because that head slap was so lethal.