ADVERTISEMENT

Selah banned?

I've heard a few rumors and rumblings...but nothing concrete. We will leave that one up to both the WIAA and Selah officials. That would be a tough break for a tremendous program.

yeah ive heard about this... its really upseting to me, i know a lot of the selah team personally, all of which are some of the best young ladies you'll ever meet. they work so hard for this, and it just gets taken away. now i dont know exactly what happened, but i heard it was a schedueling problem. i heard the selah ad schedueled them too many games, but only did it with the ok from the WIAA. then in the middle of the season some teams in the CWAC started complaining about it. from what ive heard they got it ok'd 2 more times and teams decided to still complain... so now the WIAA has decided to take the post season away, now again this is just what ive heard, but its what the selah girls themselves have told me so i think they may have a pretty good idea. the thing that upsets me the most is if this is true about the CWAC teams trying to get selah out of the post season. the thing is high school sports is about going out and playing and haveing a great time while doing it. people have put too much on winning and losing rather then having fun and playing a game that you love, and i know all of those girls love this game. all of them are in the weight room all summer working out and getting better, these girls arent the type with all of the "raw talent" but they have outstanding work ethic which got them a state championship last year, and to a serious competitor in WA 2a volleyball this year.

That's too bad...although I have a hard time believing that WIAA would approve something (twice) and then change their mind. Something is just not adding up here. Regardless, the Selah viking girl's volleyball program has simply been and continues to be an incredible program.

yeah, i know exactly what you mean... i dont know if i was given the exact right information, but regardless it still just seems unfair to the girls that have worked so hard to get where they are, i am hoping for some good news for them.

There was a "Letter to the Editor" this last week in the Yakima paper from a Selah person, last name Courcy I believe, regarding this. The purpose of the letter was to thank one of the CWAC teams, either Quincy or Ephrata, for canceling the final game of the season against Selah, so as to prevent Selah from playing too many games. (Actually I think the letter was written to criticize the Selah AD for the goof-up). It was my impression that Selah was going to be able to compete in the post-season because of this. But I don't know if this was the final word on the subject.

I think that letter was referring to the soccer program Postman. Apparently there were too many games scheduled for both volleyball and soccer. Big article on the front page of this morning's Yakima Herald entitled: "Selah volleyball is appealing post-season ban to WIAA." It's an eye opener.

Good post. It is not always good to penalize the girls but they broke a rule as a school. WIAA has some rules they will not budge on and the game limit is one. I am positive that the WIAA did not ok this. It is too bad but rules are rules no matter who you are. Think about the teams that followed the rules.

I agree that rules are rules and they should be followed. But I also believe the penalties should fit the violation. If they are found to have violated the rule by playing too many games, then reduce the number of games they can play next year. Unlike a violation that may affect the win/loss record of a team, such as an ineligible player, this violation shouldn't keep a team that earned a spot in post season play from that opportunity.

Re: Selah: The best doggone JV team in state history!!

Wow.... the Selah JV beat the #6 team in 3A this year, Issaquah!

Who needs rules, right?

Yeah, Clank I saw that article today. Why in the world would they try to sneak in an extra game or two? The article says that the penalty is spelled out in the rules. It's not something to be determined on a case by case basis. The penalty for playing too many games is a ban on the post season. Can you imagine trying to schedule an 11th football game or 21 basketball games and hoping no one notices. Unbelievable! Too bad for the girls.

The story I am hearing is that Selah scheduled a JV match and then used some varsity players. Now the WIAA is calling this game a varsity match which puts them over the 16 game limit. I am not sure how many players where used but this makes me wonder about so called "bubble" players... those people who play on both JV and Varsity at different times of the year.

I know we use some players on JV hoping to get them playing time they do not get sitting on the bench during a varsity game. I know a lot of soccer teams do this but have to be sure that no player plays in more than 2 halfs on any given day. It is common practice to do this especially when small schools have trouble with the numbers of players. If you get 25 soccer players turning out (like we do during the boys soccer season), then you have not got enough to field 2 full teams, but too many to put out just one. I am not sure how this applies in volleyball.

I also wonder what is up with Selah's AD since this happened in 2 sports this fall. It seems a damn shame to make the kids pay for adult's mistakes. Finally, I hear that the dist 4/5 decided this whole thing was okay until Othello complained. Hey Selah, welcome to the CWAC!!!!

A decision on the appeal will take place today....

and it is ironic that Quincy allowed Selah to cancel the last soccer game against them so that Selah could be eligible for post-season play and now if Selah is reinstated in volleyball...then Quincy might be staying home from volleyball districts. I have a feeling that Selah won't win the appeal. We shall see.

Today Selah will know if they will continue, as reported in the Yakima Herald, with the knowledge that it was the AD that messed if up for both volleyball and soccer. He is on probation, a slap on the wrist? Meanwhile players are being denied the prize of all their hard work, especially the seniors. As for Quincy voluntarily given forfeiting a game for the soccer, I don't think "volunteer" would be the correct term. Their seniors lost out on their night to shine in front of their parents, another casualty of the Selah AD.

from what i heard they are going to let selah play the post season. i really think that was the right thing to do, not just because i am a biased selah fan, but because i those girls have worked so hard and come so far, they deserve to be in the post season. well i think im done talking about this subject, cause its time for the playoffs!! :)

I really can't fathom these two, a seasoned VB Coach and AD not knowing this was a violation. They not only bent the rules, but worse than tht placed their student athletes in jeopardy of a possible season ending dilema. Maybe they should give up some of their salaries, and give it to a charitable organization.

players in sports like football and basketball know the rules on how many quarters and games they can play in. Wouldn't you think kids at a top notch program like Selah would know these as well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT