ADVERTISEMENT

Selah????????

Eagle High

Nov 7, 2006
I heard the AD from Selah resigned and that his wife (VB COACH) also resigned. Any news on this?

I was down in sunnyside today to watch the prosser girls. There was some chatter about the selah volleyball situation. I guess the vball coach resigned because her husband (the AD) was asked to resign. It will be interesting who gets that job.

Interesting article. Guy puts in 23 years at the school district and they bounce him over the scheduling errors. It would have been nice if the article interviewed the administration from the school to get their side.

Anyways, it is only volleyball. It isn't like it is boys basketball. Wolves make it but they won't let them storm the floor, what is up with that???

Granted he put in 23 years, but when you try to gain an edge by scheduling one to many games or try to stretch the WIAA rules to your advantage, you'll pay the price buddy and he did. Truth will come out sooner or later.

Wasn't just volleyball don't forget. They got away with it in Soccer also when Quincy said they would forfeit a game. Put their whole sports program in jeopardy. Heard that the volleyball coach asked all coaches to put in their resignation. Guess they didn't have much support.

did you see Kay Aberle's coaching statistics? in 13 seasons she went to state every year... 5 state titles 2 2nd place finishes so wait hmm lets see that means over 50% of the time she places top 2 in the state, and ohh no big deal or anything but she completely dominated the mid valley and cwac, out of the 161 matches she only lost 5!!! wow that is absolutely amazing. and don’t even try and tell me "well obviously anyone can be that good when they cheat", because that is a bunch of bull crap. one time she "cheated" but honestly how much of an advantage did it give the girls? not much of one at all, it gave the younger girls more experience for next year but thats about it. no, the reason for these amazing statistics Aberle has put up year in and year out is hard work. she gets those girls to work harder then any other program in the state and that is a fact. if the football team could get as many players in the weight room in the summer as the volleyball team they might be halfway decent. everybody from Grandview and Othello and wherever else needs to quit complaining about one little incident. you always bring it back to "rules are rules, not meant to be broken" well guess what it looks like they got away with it this time and instead of bitching you should have taken care of it on the court in the state tournament... :)

Obviously you're from selah SoxFan. We are not arguing the stats of Aberle or how many times she won something. It boils down to rights and wrongs and pushing limitations. What they did was wrong and even you stated that she "got away with it this time." The fact is that she got away with alot of things. Several people saw her at Club Selah tournaments telling the girls what to do or having someone else tell them. Thats not right and you are breaking the rules that everyone else has to follow. Did the selah girls work their butts off in the off season, i'm sure they did. Did Aberle have a tremendous record, yes she did. Those are things that are undeniable, but so is the fact that she bent the rules, she got caught and now the entire sports program is paying the price(on probation for 2007-08).

I cannot argue how great of a coach Aberle is. She is fantastic and has built a fantastic program. From what I heard and read, she resigned voluntarily while her husband (who did the mixups) was asked to resign. Is that correct?

The Yakima Herald article that Hoop_Stampede gave us stated that she resigned voluntarily. In that article she states that she couldn't let her husband take the fall for what she pushed for and that was having her varsity players sit out two matches during the year so she could schedule two teams of higher caliber (competition) from the west side to come and play her team. She obviously was feeling guilty that her husband was going to take the blame for her doing. Mabey it is a warning to all other schools not mix business with family. The kids get hurt
This post was edited on 3/5 4:59 PM by bankedthe3if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 3/5 5:00 PM by bankedthe3if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

me from Selah? noo... ok ok you caught me, so maybe my opinion is biased which really isn’t the best source so im sorry... and you're right what happened this last season was considered "wrong", and do you know for a fact that this wasn’t the only thing she has done? how can you be sure that she was "coaching" during club Selah. i know she went to games, i saw her there, and any good coach would go to the games in the off season to see how their team is doing. but obviously everyone knows who she is so if she was "coaching" from the stands, somebody probably would have done something about it. i never did see her doing it but then again i wasn’t exactly watching what she was doing, i was watching the team. the point im trying to make is i think she did make a mistake this year, but i don’t call her a "dirty coach" if that’s the right word.. i don’t believe she bent the rules so her team could win at the expense of everyone else. i guess what im trying to say is she did her coaching the right way and in doing so succeeded (obviously with her league records and state titles), now this year there was a bit of a slip up but don’t label her something that she isn’t because of a simple “miscommunication”. the thing is everybody goes after the top dog (which Selah is in volleyball just as Prosser is in football so on and so forth) and in my opinion looks to seek out their mistakes whatever they may be and in this case tend to blow them way out of proportion. now everybody is entitled to their own opinion, which is why i am voicing mine, so think whatever you want about the matter, but i know Kay Aberle is a great person and a great coach and would not try to “cheat” anybody for her own benefit.

You're a kid so its going to be hard to get the point across to you. No one said she was a "dirty" coach. The fact is that something was done about her coaching in the off season(Club) and she was looked at by the WIAA. It was all the little things that led up to this one big huge thing. Alot of people don't know that she was being watched constantly by the WIAA because of her off season anticts (troubles). Most coaches stay away from their teams in the off season because of the threat that someone might perceive them to be coaching. Aberle took that chance by being in the same gym as her girls. And lo and behold she was thought to be coaching. Again we are NOT questioning if she is a great coach, we have determined that she made a HUGE mistake that will probably prevent her from getting into the Washington vball hall of fame. If we can learn one lesson here it is stick within the rules and everything will be just fine.Period.

ok here’s the deal, first of all i may be a "kid", but it doesn’t mean im not open to view everyone else's opinion. now i said "dirty coach" because you said there were a number of other things she had done besides the one incident, however you only named one and that was the off season coaching. now i did not realize she had been "called out" on that and the WIAA was on her tail. she did make a mistake, but (and this is just my opinion) i don’t believe she realized that what she was doing was so outrageous. she saw it as an opportunity to give some younger girls varsity game experience and why not, who wouldn't do that if they thought it was ok. i don’t know that she thought it was wrong and i get this impression from the section i read in the Yakima Herald, also knowing Aberle on a personal level i don’t believe she would do something that she knew had a chance do jeopardize so much for the girls. and the thing is she’s not the type of person that is so caught up in being in the hall of fame. i mean sure everybody loves a pat on the back every once in a while and if she did get inducted then great but she really does it for the girls, the thing is i don’t believe all coaches see it this way. i think if the coaches from Othello and Grandview would have been more in it for the girls rather then caught up in their own game then they would have realized Selah was very disserving of the post season (i believe Grandview and Othello were the ones who were most against it and the reason this whole mess got started). now Othello i think was the team that didn’t make the post season because Selah did (but correct me if im wrong) and well Grandview, i think its only obvious they saw Selah as their only competition for the state title (which is think is completely wrong on Grandview’s part and you can only be the best if you beat the best, but again if im wrong there just tell me) the thing is i think their opinions are also biased, and more so then my own. now i know it is very hard to look at it this way, but shouldn’t the girls hard work be the most important thing? and ya ya ya rules are rules and that’s what everyone just keeps going back to, but i think about it, and again it is tough because i am from Selah, but i try to think if i wasn’t from Selah, i don’t believe that i would think this was a very big deal. i think i would be very happy that the Selah girls got to participate in the post season and would realize they earned it. i don’t think i would let something like a coach making a *very small* mistake change my opinion about the matter. BUT i am not from another school and i have no idea what that would be like so again it is impossible to know for sure, so these are just my theories on the whole matter. they could be wrong and lets face it i am only a kid :) so chances are they are wrong, right? question mark? :)

You have good points WhiteSox80 and i admire ur loyalty to selah. But always remember that things are not as they always appear. A coach just doesn't up and quit over "little" things, it's the big things that finally get discovered that ruin a career.Unfortunately, when u mention Selah vball now a days, this subject comes up. Its sad that the 2006 season will not be remembered as Selah winning the State Championship...but this whole mess with the WIAA. Its sad that she had to quit on this type of note and not be able to defend a championship.I believe you when you say she's a great person and would never hurt her team intentionally, but if you look at the situation through my eyes, and others, it looks as if she tried to bend the rules without thinking of the long term consequences. Tough break for your vball team and i wish you luck this coming year!

i guess i could be using somewhat of a "tunnel vision" approach to this whole deal by not looking at your side... the thing is i think she made the mistake, not knowing she had done any damage... then obviously she realized it and now that it is beyond repair she was forced to resign because that was really the only option. and maybe you are right i just don’t know, i guess the only one who truly knows of her intentions is Aberle herself. and yes i can see how you and others can see it like that, i just think it’s unfortunate for Aberle because that seems to be the instant conclusion everyone jumps to when it really might not be the case... yes it is a tough break and thank you good luck to you as well (are you just a high school sports fan in general or is there a specific school you “root for”), unfortunately i wont be around to watch many (if any) games because as you said i am only a kid and next year im off to college. but do you know anything about the whole probation thing for next year, what exactly does that mean for the Vikings?

I don't know what the probation entails. I'm sure each Selah athletic team has to be careful and the next AD that comes in is going to have to run a tight ship. I love watching every sport in the CWAC. I have roots in Prosser but travel to watch other teams play. It sounds like ur a great sports fan also so hopefully one day you can do what i do and enjoy watching games from the stands.

you are right i am a huge sports fan, and i do in fact get the opportunity to watch the games from the stands, well volleyball that is... its a different sport in the fall where i don’t get the chance to "kick back" and watch, and that is the great sport of football :). yes i am (well actually i was) a football player for the Selah Vikings, but its going to be interesting to see who the new AD will be... i know Jamieson (head football coach) is currently seeking his Master's degree in administration. i was under the impression that the "plan" was for Jamieson to do some what of an "internship" next year for the AD job during winter tri. then after the year Aberle would retire, just in time for Jamieson to be done with his Master's and he would step in. if that was in fact how it worked out and Jamieson wanted the job and everything, but it seems that’s not the way it will be, so who knows what will happen now.

I believe that probation for the Vikings will entail a detailed look into all schedules/scheduling for all sports for the entire year. The WIAA has not "fixed" the loop holes in team sports scheduling yet...but look for it to occur. I dont believe that Othello or Grandview coaching staffs were concerned with anyone but their players/athletes. They were simply advocating on behalf of their kids in a situation they felt directly or indirectly affected the outcome of the season for their players.

RU a Coach?

lightsout, i use 2 think that u were a kid, but w/ all this information i think that you may be a coach.

ru a coach? which school?

Re: RU a Coach?

We have already asked her and she's not giving any details. We have narrowed it down to Grandview, Toppenish or an Othello fan.

nm
This post was edited on 3/11 12:24 PM by JediMaster91if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT