ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Final Picks - Coming down to the wire

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
Down to the Semi-finals where we tend to lose more and more viewers as the # of teams diminishes. This week only 4 teams remain, Trico brings a well-rounded La Center team, NEA brings Deer Park with a heavy defense, and SCAC brings top ranked Royal and offense power house Connell. This makes for some tough games and even tougher picks. Last week DP caused a change on the leader board with Go Knights and 1AA jumping in the lead just over OldGren and TKKWCTST. Again this week will be worth 2 points each (spoiler, next week will be worth 3 points and a tie breaker). So tell us who you think will win and why?????????

Connell (11-1) @ La Center (11-1) {4:00 Sat @ McKenzie}
Royal (11-0) @ Deer Park (10-1) {1:00 Sat @ Gonzaga Prep}

I'm struggling at picks and analysis this year. I thought last week would have been closer games and half were blow outs. I now think Royal and Connell are the dominant favorites and will battle it out in the final. I've always thought you have to have great passing capabilities to have a chance at the title even if you do have a dominant running game and I think that's what sets royal and Connell apart. DP and LC are great teams and I commend them for what they have done but they can't pass well enough to beat their opponents this week. Royal and Connell have had no problem stopping run games and they put up lots of points even on their toughest opponents. No different this week.

Connell over La Center 35-13
Royal over Deer Park 42-14

Connell vs La Center- CONNELL. They are hoping to avenge loss to Royal in championship game which would be a pretty sweet game.

Deer Park vs Royal- Is this the end of DP cinderella story?(wrestling coach hopes so) Knights are definitely the heavy favorites and DP stingy D is going to have to get 3 turnover's to win I think. The game will be closer than expected and I'm goin with the Stags in a ugly hard fought battle.

Any Royal fans are welcome at our tailgate party before game in the west end parking lot. We have a good time up north.

Reactions: TKKWCTST
We certainly are getting down to the wire. I am just grateful my team is still practicing. What a fun year it has been.

Connell (11-1) @ La Center (11-1)
I think Connell's ability to score quickly and in bunches could spell the undoing for LaCenter. Ball control is great when you are working with the lead. If Connell jumps out by 2 TD's La Center will have to get out of their comfort zone. Connell doesn't have a comfort zone. They can play the game at whatever style and pace necessary.

Royal (11-0) @ Deer Park (10-1)
I agree with 1AA, Deer Park will have to make it an ugly game to pull of the win. I mean no disrespect, that is a viable strategy. They have the size and physicality to carry out such a game plan. Both teams have relied on their defenses throughout their playoff runs. I believe Royal will focus on shutting down the run game. Will DP played a balanced defensive scheme or try to take away an aspect of Royal's offense; if so which one? I think 3 turnovers is a good threshold for predicting a winner. Of course, it is tough to win if your wrestling coach is hoping that you don't. :) Go Knights!!

I am hoping both games have decent weather. That may be too much to ask for. 1AA, I will try to make a stop at the tailgate if possible. I'll be easy to spot. Just look for the guy in black and gold.

Congrats to all 4 teams for great seasons and making it this far, but only two can advance. I'm going with Royal and Connell to set up the all SCAC east final. I think they have been the best two teams all year. Both have explosive offenses with weapons all over the place and defenses that give up very few points. Looks like this is were we break the tie 1AA, and I don't know what Old Gren is talking I'll be the guy in black and gold. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and safe travels.

P.S. Hopefully neither game ends like the Illinois 7A semifinal. Crazy story wrong team won, Refs misapplied a rule giving the team behind by 3 an untimed down allowing them to kick the tying FG then they won in OT. Losing team did get an apology I'm sure that helped.

Happy Thanksgiving

OldGrenadier it's actually Blue and Gold. Hope to see ya. I shouldn't say wrestling coach hopes we win but I'm sure he is concerned having more than half his team miss month of practice when their trying to win another state title themselves.

and this is another week that got away from me. looks like 1AA is going for the uncontested win. I have went on a limb trying to pick the underdogs too many times and this week i have to rely on my instinct.

I think DP could make a run for it, but trying to cover the run and pass at the same time will lead to a 100+ rushing yards for Jenks. Sr. QB did not come this far to stop early. if DP can stop Royal, Jenks will start running an make up the difference. Royal keeping it close but favored. 28-7

La Center will have to make some changes to their offense to put up points on Connell, but when you change up your offence for 1 game it typically comes back to bite you in the but. If they can get the offense rolling, the will still have to find a way to stop a high scoring offense. Connell has dominated the first qtr, out scoring the last two opponents 49-0. I think La Center will slow them down, but not enough to pull off the win. 35-21

Last edited:
No close games last week and it will only be worse this weekend.
Connell by 3+ TD's
Royal by 5+ TD's

Hate to play the same tune as almost everyone else but I don't see this weeks games as even being close. Royal will continue to dominate their opponents and next week we will see if Connell can avenge their only loss of the season. C/ya in Tacoma

ADVERTISEMENT