ADVERTISEMENT

Sportsmanship for Coaches

DjPhilweezy

Dec 8, 2006
By all means this is not meant to "flame" the team I'm going to mention. Last night at the Grandview-Toppenish game I noticed that both Gviews girls n boys coaching staff stand at the far side of the gym, further away so that The opposing players can't shake their hands. Quite frankly I find it very rude and unsportsmanlike of them to be that far away. Does anyone have any idea why they would do that?

It's not meant to be disrespectful. They like to just stay out of the limelight and let the kids have their moments of being introduced before the games.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Never thought about it that way. Still I would like to see them be closer and shake the hand of the players but if their decision to stand so far away is to take away from their limelight and give it to the kids then go for it. Works for them

It makes sense if ALL the coaches stand away from the bench, around the line of players and at the end of the bench but when ONLY the head coach does - it's like silly.

I watched a game at LC where the LC team members acknowledged the officials, acknowledged the line of opposing assistant coaches and then had to run around the line of players standing in a line out on the floor to the end of the bench and acknowledge the head coach.

I don't know what to make of that...........

If he didn't want to draw attention to himself he would stand with his assistants. BUT, the older I get the more confused with life.

Totally goofy for all players to fist the opposing player, coaches and all three refs...

-Passion8

How about the opposing player and call it good.
Now days there are 6 assistants of each bench too.
I think maybe they should hug the cheerleaders too - now that would be inspirational.

How about running off your bench, slap your teammates' hands, stop in your FT circle and wait until the next teamamte is introduced?

I really don't see the need for all this fist pumping during introductions. The captains and officials meet before the game, the officials meet the coaches, and the starters usually pump fists when they take the floor before the toss. Seems that's plenty to me.

ADVERTISEMENT