ADVERTISEMENT

State Tourney Observations....

clank'sback

Oct 5, 2001
Rambling Randoms....

The two freshmen guards from Clover Park are VERY good. I am wondering if they will remain Warriors or not. Incredible potential. Clover Park just might make it a habit in playing late on Saturday for awhile.

Daniel Kelly of Onalaska was a joy to watch. This designated screen setter rattled many jaws this past week. Instant pancakes! I have never seen a kid set so many screens and if I had a kid built like Fred Flinestone, then I'd have him doing the same thing!

Nobody plays defense like the Freeman girls..PERIOD.

I have never seen anyone shoot so well off balance all the time than Nooksack's Kyle Impero. He turns ugly into beauty time and time and time again.

Cascade Christian was the best boys team in 1A...plain and simple. Cody Shackett is a flat out basketball player. Kudos to the coaching staff for working so hard with Shawn Spencer. This kid will continue to grow...unfortunatley his feet will too...so he has got to keep his distance from the baseline! Size nineteens? Also, Tuttle and King are hardnosed and are a coaches dream come tourney time.

How about those Granger girls?...nobody gave them a chance to get back to the dome this year..and not only did they earn a trip back, but made a frenzy comeback to earn a 4th place trophy over Connell. What a run!

Those Kingston boys didn't know any better. They were suppose to have "deer in the headlight" syndrome. And what did they do? Took a 3rd place trophy home during their first ever trip to state. And they even found Miners a time or two. They did the state experience like they were veterans. Great job!

Grandview Greyhounds...14 state appearances = 14 trophies. My goodness!

Young Life still makes a great sandwich and you don't feel bad paying the high price, since it goes to promote a great cause!

Tana Pritchard's back to back slams to begin the first 2A semi-final was a thing of beauty. And not just because he is going to be a Coug, but he is a great kid. Very respectful and down to earth. And I think I saw his Uncle Jack in the crowd during championship night. I have a new favorite Coug! Hopefully Tana will help put more enjoyment into Cougar Football Saturdays!

What a run that both Squalicum and Burlington Edison have had the last few years. Who gave Squally a chance to get back into the championship game after graduating one of the very best senior classes that this tournament has ever seen. And guess what? Squally will be very good next year! And B.E...Wow! Three straight seconds and one 5th. Just incredible!

Tumwater's and Lynden's mascots are terrifying! They made 11 babies cry.

I am getting old. I saw Prosser girls when the State Championship in 1987 behind the stellar performance of Olympic athlete Kelly Blair...and now in 2011...I witness their championship once again. I was 7 years old when the Prosser boys beat White Swan in 1967 to win their championship. Please don't do the math. Yes, I am old.

Good for Granger boys and Zillah boys for both finishing in the top 3 at state this year. That amounts to some pretty talented hoopsters within 5 miles a part. Way to go!

Someone needs to tell the Sundome security that yes..it is okay to let 92 year old ladies through their road block to walk in front of the end of the girls game to create the shortest route back out to their car. I think about a dozen people, including myself, caught on to this and were quickly in the face of the security guard after he demanded her to take a U turn! Needless to say, her detour was short lived.

Rahmel Moton of River Ridge was the best "2 games and out" player of the tournament. He ALMOST willed his team to big upsets over Clover Park and Grandview. That top bracket was brutal. Rahmel is no doubt a front runner for player of the year in 2A next year.

Jake Love of West Valley of Spokane is only a frosh. He is going to be a good one! He was second leading scorer on the Eagle's roster this year. He has a great inside...outside game. Jake and the Clover Park duo make for some impressive freshmen.

Okay...I'm taking a guess on his name, but if you had a chance to watch Burlington Edison's David Villareal on the end of the Tiger bench, you know what school spirit and team support is all about! His enthusiasm and animation is unmatched! And he would put his heart into his job! He is a show all by himself! GREAT JOB!

Will Stewart's game against Clover Park was exceptional! Best boy's game of the whole tournament! CP over BE in overtime. Did I mention Tana Pritchard's dunks?

Coach Mel Ninnis....hmmmmm....just don't know what to think about this character. I'm kind of surprised he didn't chase after the spotlight during player introductions for the championship game! Ha!

The player introductions for the championship games were awesome! Great for the kids!

Best uniforms...Grandview and BE's aways!

Most improved boys teams over the course of the season...Chelan and Squally and Kingston.

Yellow Owl has nifty moves. He slithers past defenders at will.

I wasted too much time trying to find a player or team in the "catalog" that WIAA calls the state tourney program.

Nooksack could have really used a point guard. It is good to see former players...ala Mitchell from Nooksack and Garza from Grandview and Harris from Chelan go back to their hometowns to coach. In fact, all four Grandview coaches played for the Greyhounds. Garza, Sanchez, McFerran and Garza.

I learned that Luke Ridnour was a gnat's eyebrow away from being a Los Angeles Laker. Don't know if that's classified information or not, so I won't share the source...although it is a very reliable cource.

LaSalle girls (a private school themselves) had to play Seattle Christian, Lynden Christian and Bellevue Christian during the 1 A girl's tourney.

Granger Spartans (boys and girls) break the cookie cutter when it comes to photos used for the state tournament program. I like it! Onalaska's girls was different too.....check it out... Ha!

Chelan's Amsel and River Ridge's Wallace are sophomores who can fly up and down the court!

You don't have to be a big scorer to be valuable to your team. Just ask B.E.'s Dylan Boe. The kid does the little things that make a coach smile.

And slam dunk of the year is (drum roll please) ...that WIAA needs to go back to the 16 team format under one roof. Don't drastically change what is working. Heck charge us another buck or two..if you need to.

Sorry for my spelling or lack of grammar....just wanted to throw these out to everyone, hoping I didn't shoo too many airballs.

Thanks for the wrap up Clank. Hope to see you again next March.
This post was edited on 3/6 5:20 PM by Warrant3

It was also good to see you and your lovely wife again Warrant! And Vadin...vanilla and chocolate rules!

I could not have spent three days of basketball with funner (is that a word) people. Clank, Clank Jr., Cougdiehard and Johnfan, It was a pleasure. I hope I did'nt talk to much basketball. The company and the games were awesome. The ice cream on Thursday was pretty good too. Thanks for making another state tourney a memorable one.

Nice wrap up Clank for those of us not able to attend. Thanks for giving equal due all around to a variety of teams and players. Best to all as we go into basketball slumber on the high school level.

Nice wrap up. Didn't watch near as many games this year. I thought it was going to be neat to watch another classification at the same time, but I just couldn't get into the 1A games. Nothing against their quality of play or anything there just wasn't a connection for me. Having said that I was absolutely blown away about the crowd support at the 1A level..far above the 2A teams. I know a lot of the teams were fairly close, but the crowds from Lynden Christian & Nooksack Valley were impressive for as far as they traveled...kudo's. Burlington boy's played their hearts out, especially Stewart..but just couldn't overcome shooting 6-40 from 3 point range at the tourney. Next year will be a real test for Skeen. Have to go 8 deep before seeing a returner. B-E had an excellent J.V. team, but that doesn't always add up to varsity success. My bold prediction for next year is Squalicum wins it. They have 4 starters returning from what I saw. Could very well be playing Clover Park again with their guards returning, but they are losing a lot of their bigs.

ADVERTISEMENT