ADVERTISEMENT

Statewide Football Stats Website

CAmes

Jul 1, 2001
The objective of this project is to create a self-reporting, statewide football statistics database. Since Dave Tuengel ceased publication of his outstanding newsletter, there has been no single, statewide publication to track statistical leaders. At the same time, interest in all things high school football has grown tremendously. Witness: WaPreps.com

Washington has more than 300 schools playing football. It is doubtful that anyone would want to undertake a weekly survey of each school. I certaintly don't. However, when this task is broken down and distributed, it becomes much more manageable. This sort of thing is what the web is all about.

This system will allow registered users to post stats for athletes and schools. Ideally, this would be each team's stats keeper. However, this is unrealistic. The system will be open to anyone to post, so long as they are willing to put their names behind it.

Open posting... Sounds a little open to poor, inflated, or deflated data. And yes, it most certainly is. The system will also allow users to rate the reliability of stats AND posters, as long as one is willing put his or her name on the criticism. And if a bonafide stat-man is posting, those stats would receive increased credibility. Think of this as being similar to the community feedback system on eBay.

I would anticipate this taking some time to get rolling, especially since we are nearly out of the 2004 season already. The link for the site is attached below. At this point, it is operating at the most basic level, allowing users to register and stats to be posted. On the to-do list would be to add the rating system, allow for better editing of players, allow for editing of stats, and of course, leadersboard and summaries.

If you would like to help in this endeavour, please contact me.

Regards,

Christopher Ames
christopher_ames@yahoo.com

****** UPDATE ***********

OK, most core functions are in place. Users can register, post players & stats. The leaderboard is also in place. This week's to-do's include editing stats and rating postings.

Current Leaders--
Rushing: Trevor Lyle, Elma, 1740 yards
Passing: Tygue Howland, Sedro Wolley, 1345 yds.
Receiving: Adam Wardell, Sedro Wolley, 854 yds.

http://www.meridianfootball.com/statewide/

ADVERTISEMENT