ADVERTISEMENT

SW Washington BB

basketballbuff

Mar 4, 2012
Last night finished up who will be the #3 and 4 reps to regional from D4. I think these were the 2 best teams to go north as they both have size and good athletes. Not sure if they can compete with the teams they'll be facing though. LaCenter can get it going but oftentimes are to undisciplined in their offense and don't play real well as a team. I think Hoquim is the best of the 2 and may have their full compliment of players back after 3 were put on academic ineligibilty last week. The Bolden kid was back last night in limited minutes but his 6'6 frame gives them more size and then the 6'3 kid is suppose to be back late this week or next. Both these kids started all yr and with the 6'6 Smith kid in the middle gives them a solid nucleus underneath, Then the point guard is a physical kid who likes to shoot it and can take it off the dribble. Off the bench is another 6'6 kid and the rest of the guards are quick, not great basketball players but play hard.
Then you have Kalama and Toledo playing for the District championship. This is a toss up but most people give Kalama the edge. All 5 starters have playoff experience, all can shoot it, and all are athletic. Toledo has 2 really nice players in the Rakoz kid and Trafelet and the rest of the kids are basketball junkies who get after it from baseline to baseline. They all play their roles well and have a great coach and a great tradition. So it's really wait and see. I don't know how these teams stack up with those up north, so really can't make any predictions but I know both of the above fully expect to get to Yakima. If you don't mind the drive, the games will be an interesting night of basketball, then you can decide for yourself. The game will be on KMNT 104.3 last I heard if you want to listen in. I know I'll be a lot more educated after Sat night because I'm making the trip north to see the talent up there and who'll be coming south.

Based on what i have seen, I would be surprised if Cascade Christian and Kings aren't the teams heading South. Both are disciplined, though Kings is the more aggressive defensive team and they have a lot of players that see minutes, so they keep the pressure on the whole game. they don't shoot that good from the outside but they get a lot of steals and turnovers that lead to easy buckets because of their defense and they wear teams down. they have good slashers and they get to the line a lot. Opponents have to work for their baskets and usually score under their average. Cascade plays a more half-court game, though they like to fast break when they can. I have seen them a few times this year and they can shoot from the outside, but they have to be open. The big kid is a good rebounder, but he gets pushed around a lot, so can be taken out of his game by a shorter, physical player. he is a great passer for a big man. The guards don't handle the ball very well, but they play smart, so they don't turn it over that much. Although King's would be the #5 seed, they are the better team and totally shut down CC when they played earlier this year, holding them way below their average. the other two teams, Mt Baker and Eatonville are the underdogs this Saturday, though Baker is more likely to upset CC than Eatonville is Kings. Baker plays rugged NWC ball and good defense, and they have a good scorer who can drive and shoot from the outside and if he gets help, they are dangerous. their guards are good at harassing in the half-court trap, so their strength against CC's weakness could make for some interesting matchups. CC doesn't match-up that well against Mt. Baker's shooter so if he is on, it could be a long afternoon for CC, though I still think they win. Eatonville is small, one guy over 6'2', but they play hard the whole game and for a small team, they rebound pretty well. they lost a their point guard to injury a few weeks ago and while they have some good ball handlers, they don't have a lot depth anywhere. they play kind of reckless at times and so make dumb fouls sometimes and if their key guys get into foul trouble, they will struggle. they have a couple of good outside shooters, so if they are on, they can be dangerous. they also drive to the bucket good, too.

What are LaCenter and Hoquiam like? Any details? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Both will have to drive a long way to play in a great gym. LC fans will be packing that place. Just like the good old district tourneys there.

Saw both teams play last weekend and LaCenter on one other occasion. Have a new coach, a team that's had kids playing together at the varsity level for a couple of yrs. Overall inconsistent, don't play really well together all the time but have some kids who can really shoot it. 2 bigs, Meyers is 6'7,a lefty, started for 3 yr, gets himself in trouble because he can be a loose cannon. Can step out and shoot it but better 15 ft in. Is pretty athletic, was a wide receiver for football. Came back in the middle of the season with a high ankle injury so not sure if he's 100% as they take forever to get over during the season. Other big kid 6'6 200, is not super skilled but plays hard around the basket. Starts but doesn't play a lot of minutes. Then the rest of the team is made up of guards, most of them decent sized and athletic. They play a lot of 4 around one and they shoot it as soon as they're open. Have one kid who shoots really well, cannot remember the name though, and the rest are streaky. Biggest weakness is they do not handle pressure well in the full court and don't have a rock solid point.
Hoquim has good size and most of these kids have played together since 5th grade. Smith kid is 6'6 and state high jump champion so really athletic. Stays in the paint, likes to block shots, often in foul trouble because of it. Surprisingly, he's never really learned how to post up and ask for the ball but pretty strong when he does get it down there. Bolden is 6'6, long, used mainly for defense, and rebounding but has had some double digit games. Last big is a 6'3, 225, junior who started last yr also. Kind of a garbage player, hangs around the weak side and uses body well to rebound, can score down there. Then the point is a kid named Espada(?). Started for 2 yrs. A 6' kinda thick kid who can mix it up. Can penetrate, passes well, shoot the 3 either catching or off the dribble, and will post up. Is their most productive scorer and works really hard. Has good handles and likes to push. After that they have a 6'6 kid who comes off the bench who is adequate, and 3 or 4 guards who are really quick and play with reckless abandon and can shoot it some. Their biggest weakness was they didn't do the little things very well, were kinda lazy. I think there were very high expectations for them but they have been kinda underachievers, playing to the competition, have some issues off the court that are distractions. But if they all show up, they can cause you grief.
Of the two teams, I think Hoquim has the best chance of competing successfully up north and that remains to be seen.

LaCenter over Hoquiam by 2 points 51-49 with a couple of key 3 pointers late.
Toledo 61 Kalama 49. Maybe 60-49.

LaCenter- Hoquim matchup tonight was a good one. Both teams played physical but was kinda sloppy at times. LaCenter played pretty well, the best I'd seen this season. They shot the ball well from the perimeter the entire game and it wasn't just 1 kid either. They had 3 kids really stroking it tonight. Then the 4th qrt the Meyers kid got aggressive with the ball and had about 10. Hoquim really played pretty well tonight but foul trouble both halves on its bigs hurt them. The Bolden kid played well for them his first game back after some discipline. It will be interesting to know how they fare up north next week but don't think either team can be consistent enough to play with LC or CPC.
Toledo-Kalama was a classic. The 2 had split earlier this yr and there was a lot of hype on this game, especially being a District championship. And it was played in front of a very loud, enthusiastic crowd. One motivating factor handed to the Indians this week was the all league team came out and Kalama landed the MVP and an unprecedented 3 kids on 1st team and their 5th player on 2nd team. I understand Merzoiane used this as a motivator for last weeks practice and it must have worked for Toledo came out and played like it had a chip on its shoulder. They asserted themselves early and opened up a 10 pt lead and answered every run Kalama made at them with one of their own. They played really solid team defense and didn't make a lot of mistakes, and they controlled the boards. The Rakoz kid had 21 and Trafelet had 15. The rest of the scoring was split up fairly evenly between several other players and they had solid play off the bench. It seems like Merzoiane has his group coming together at the right time again. I'll be able to get a feel for how they stack up against the teams up north tomorrow as I'm making the drive and will try to make a comparison comment following.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT