ADVERTISEMENT

TCP beats Touchet and....

WHS1982

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2003
Dickey throws a fit...
Good job Tri-Cities, way to step it up and beat Touchet! In my book, you played a quality game and handed it to the Indians, fair and square. Enjoy your victory, you earned it!!

I am actually and admirer of Coach Dickey and I think he has done a great job there in Touchet. But, this is a little over the top. Perhaps I disagree with the pass play, but this is 8-man ball and lots can happen. I mean geez, Touchet had the lead in the third qtr. It's not like it was a blow out... then a couple of quick scores and TCP is up by two, Two, TWO touchdowns. This is not a big lead in 8-man ball... Geez Dickey, how many 45-0 games have you won?? So, is TCP supposed to now let up on defense and just allow Touchet to score? Would you? So what if there is only a minute to play... Does that mean the TCP team should just roll over and let the Indians come within a score, just to give them a little pride... and really, what kind of pride would that be? How would any team feel if somebody just gave you a td out of sympathy... poor poor Touchet... they got beat and we are supposed to feel sorry for them.
You know me, I am no fan of the private schools, but this is just a sorry excuse by the Touchet coach to try and belittle another team for beating them... too bad Dickey, you lost - take it like a man and lose with some grace and dignity.

WHS

Sorry WHS, I disagree. Throwing for the endzone with a 19-pt. lead with less than a minute to go is either unsporstmanlike or incredibly stupid. Dickey has displayed a lot of class in the past and I understand his displeasure. It also doesn't do anything positive for public-private school relations, which is unfortunate.

------------------------------
http://www.union-bulletin.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=23389

Dickey doesn't deserve Jags' act

By Jim Buchan of the Union-Bulletin

TOUCHET - Well, so much for the rewards of good sportsmanship.

It was just one year ago that Wayne Dickey did everything humanly possible to give the kids at Tri-Cities Prep a positive football experience. Dickey's Touchet Indians were a vastly superior team that day, but the coach took careful measures to not run up the score on a team that had lost 64-6 and 72-22 in its previous two games.

The Indians won the game in Pasco, 40-14. But the Jaguars were not humiliated - in fact, they got to play four full quarters for the first time all season - and parents and school officials at Tri-Cities Prep seemed genuinely appreciative.

That wasn't the first time, of course, that Dickey had spared an inferior opponent an unnecessary beating. The Touchet coach is highly regarded throughout the state for his sense of fair play.

But the shoe was on the other foot here Friday afternoon. Dickey's Indians are no longer a superior football team. They're young, they're small and very beatable.

And Tri-Cities Prep did just that in Friday's Southeast B-8 Conference game, breaking open a close game by scoring five touchdowns in the final 15 minutes of play. The final score, 45-14, won't raise any eyebrows, but the way the game ended certainly should.

Leading 33-14 and the clock winding down, the Jaguars twice forced Touchet fumbles by blitzing Bryce Palmer, the Indians' freshman backup quarterback. The second fumble gave Prep the ball on Touchet's 16-yard line with under a minute to play.

The Jaguars had the option of taking a knee twice and running out the clock. Instead, they passed for a touchdown.

Dickey, who had been incensed by the Tri-Cities team's defensive tactics against his most inexperienced players in a game that was already decided, showed his displeasure by refusing to accept the ensuing kickoff. Instead, he exercised his option to kick off.

The Jaguars' Matt Campbell returned the kick 80 yards for a touchdown, crossing the goal line as the final gun sounded.

After the game, as players shook hands, Dickey and Tri-Cities Prep Coach Dan Whitsett engaged in an animated conversation.

``Some coaches have a different philosophy,' Dickey said later. ``I just don't ever believe in running up the score on another team.'

Whitsett is in his first year as the Jaguars' head coach and he wasn't on the staff last year when Dickey cut Tri-Cities Prep a break. It's also true that he doesn't have many options when it comes to making substitutions, with only 13 players on his roster, including just one senior.

It's also true that the Jaguars have suffered some humiliating beatings since joining the SEB-8. So it's hard to blame them for enjoying the opportunity to pour it on an opponent.

But this was the wrong time and the wrong place. If there's a coach anywhere who doesn't deserve the kind of treatment that was dished out Friday, it's Dickey.

Of course, the pendulum will swing back the other way sooner or later. The time will come when Dickey will have the horses to exact revenge.

But don't count on it.

And as far as his decision to kick off after the Jaguars' final touchdown, the coach said he has done it before and will do it again if the situation warrants. It's his way of sending a message: You want to score, here's the ball.

Here's hoping Whitsett and anyone else affiliated with Tri-Cities Prep got it.

The Jaguars were the winners on the scoreboard Friday. But that's the only place.

Walla Walla Union-Bulletin article

Blue, yes I agree with you on that note... but, here is some more info.

As posted on another site:

TC Prep had 10 kids that could participate on the field on offense and defense.
The "senior" that Buchan refers to has a fractured back and only place kicks.
Coach Whitsett put his only two subs in the game (both freshman that have never played football before) in the last five or six minutes, and let one of them run the ball until he fumbled it over to Touchet.
Touchet had no scoreboard that worked, no scoreboard time clock, time was being kept on the Touchet side of the field by somebody.
They had to ask the statistician to count up the score after the game to see what it was, everybody thought it was only 36 or 38 to 14.
Tri Cities Prep had their linebackers fill as stand-up interior linemen the entire game.

So, I still say... given the circumstances, Dickey, as much as I admire him there in Touchet is way off on this one. If in fact TCP was only up by 10 with a minute remaining (38 minus 14 = 24), what would you have done? Personally, given a teams ability to score fast in B8 ball (returns, run backs, etc...) then what? Without a working clock, what if Touchet gets the ball back? A quick run, onside kick and recovery another quick run and Touchet wins. This is a very real possibility in B8 football. You and I both know it. And come on, playing hard defense and blitzing! You have got to be kidding on this... this is what worked all game, why stop? To me it is good coaching, we have all seen games where a team gets ahead then changes it's defense, momentum shifts and they lose. I guess, to be proper sportsman we should allow the losing a freebie?
Lots of this is subjective... but, I still think Dickey is just being a sore loser. And I think Buchan is just being Buchan.

WHS

IF TCP was throwing TD passes, that seems a little unclassy. Is there a box score for this game anywhere.

I will say this. The fact that a reporter would write such a column WITHOUT talking to BOTH coaches is such poor journalism, beyond ridiculous. I can't believe a veteran of the business would mention a "lively" conversation after the game, then talk to only one coach. Pathetic.

Just stumbled over here...

Of course I wasn't there so I'm not sure who is right or wrong, but I know that Coach Friese over here at WVHS would never even THINK of passing to the endzone if he was up 3 TD's or more late in the game (of course he'd have all the starters out by then, but that wasn't possible in this case)

"I can't believe a veteran of the business would mention a "lively" conversation after the game, then talk to only one coach."

I agree with that SA.

The pass to the endzone was with 5 minutes to go in the game and the score 33-14. It was a four yard run into the endzone by the quarterback that was the touchdown the reporter said was a pass. Touchet fumbled the ball at their own 16 yard line with 1 minute and 26 seconds left and the score 39-14. TC Prep gave it to a 105 pound freshman (who was seeing his first game action ever and had never played a down of football in his life). He fumbled the ball on the second carry then TC Prep just ran it in with the quarterback (who happened to be playing in his first game ever at the quarterback position as well).

No run up, no in your face, no cheap shots, should have been no problems.

There was no pass to the endzone with a minute remaining. It was a four yard run. The pass to the endzone was with over 5 minutes remaining according to the official yelling out the time on the field since their was no scoreboard, and the score just 33-14.

Jim Buchan (Walla Walla Union Bulletin) reported two stories in the paper that day. His article on the game and his editorial that attacked Prep and coach Whitsett. His article had everything correct, with the scores in the right order and the way they happened, but his editorial on the other hand twisted, turned, and flat out ignored the facts. He is not a professional at his occupation and it showed greatly in his editorial.

Take the knee up 19 with under a minute..... if Touchet calls timeout, then they are saying we do not surrender.. then throw on them.. if they don't call timeout.. let it end.

There WAS NO PASS!!! That is the entire point here. The reporter lied in his editorial. That is the entire point! There was no question to be talked about! Touchet coaches were ONLY mad about a

ADVERTISEMENT