ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on special classification for private schools

chance44

Feb 10, 2006
I have always wondered why public schools are required to abide by WIAA rules regarding recruitment of players yet private schools - i.e. Prep, Blanchet, ODea, Lynden Christian, Kings, are allowed to participate in the same classifications without the same regulation.

Maybe a special classification for religious/private schools might be appropriate now. Let them play in neighboring districts but compete in State Tournaments against other schools who enjoy the same advantage.

Like to hear what others think.....Thanks and enjoy your district finals...

Agreed, but this has been going on for a long , long time, dont think there is anything we can do about it, but take pride in your own school and hope they dont choose that road and play fairly.
This post was edited on 2/24 10:34 PM by Mike Wif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

The first thing private schools will mention is that it's a public school that illegally recruited.

Private schools need to recruit to survive. That recruiting is different than the illegal recruiting as they are recruiting students. That doesn't mean all privates abide strictly by the rules, however, they have to recruit to be a school.

CCL.....CASCADE CHRISTIAN LEAGUE.....North Division and South Division. Let us pray........

It really may be getting to closer considering an all private school state tournament in each sport.

I realize that this subject has been talked about alot....but there are more private schools now than ever before..I am sure they would appreciate being shown the way by the WIAA. (I'm a poet!)

Private schools do have to recruit students but I know my nephew didn't go to Kings for religious training, he went to play football - but they honestly didn't recruit him - he wasn't good enough.

I'm not implying that public schools don't recruit, and certainly wasn't referring to the situation presently happening at Chief Sealth. Just thought it might be time for the WIAA to consider it. If it is brought up now maybe before I die the WIAA would recognize it's potential.

I agree with Oldshoes - Let's pray........

The way I understand it is that the WIAA says that if player 'A' is going to public school 'A' and leaves to go to public school 'B, without having a change of address and moving into the new district he must play on the JV team of any sport for the first calendar year from when player 'A' tranfered schools. If player 'A' goes to a private school he can begin playing right away. It seems as though it lets the privates to pick and choose athletes for a particular sport that will benefit the athletic program. Advantage: Private Schools. Seems to me that there are two sets of rules. Am I correct in my statement? If not, please correct me.

Not sure you have it right...A couple of years ago a kid transfered to Seattle Christian when his dad got a job at the school. Good BBall player, would have made varsity BUT he played JV his Jr year because of the transfer rule. I think he averaged about 30 a game for the JV.

FOH

ADVERTISEMENT