ADVERTISEMENT

Toutle Lake

Rockranger

Sep 13, 2008
Toutle Lake slips into the Top 10 of the Washington State Volleyball poll conducted by coaches. The Ducks are currently ranked 10th.

Toutle Lake defeats Napavine

Toutle Lake confirmed that that they were a team to contend with in the Central 2B this fall. Napavine visited Toutle and was sent home with a 25-21, 21-25, 25-14 and 25-23 match defeat. It was Toutle Lake that is currently ranked 9th in the state right behind league rival Adna that used overall athleticism to top the skill of the Napavine team.

The Tigers knew this was an important game. “We had a week off to prep for this game. We came and scouted them. It just wasn’t enough” admitted Napavine Coach Monica Daily. “I am happy with the way they (her team) played, but I think that we could have won. In the third game we lacked confidence, concentration and teamwork”.

Napavine Senior Laina Potter had 28 digs while Chelsea Larson picked up 11 kills and three blocks. Rachael Smith added 12 assist for the Tigers.

Toutle Lake’s Caitlin Perrin was very notable for her 11 kills, but as impressive as it sounds, the height she reaches and the velocity of her smashes are notable for the “5’8” Duck.

“In weights I really focus on legs and I have been playing volleyball for five going on six years now” explains Perrin. “It has rally been my focus of getting up and getting that felling of a really hard hit. I work my hardest on my jumps”.

Behind her is 5’4 Liebro Brandi Malakoff who was able to make 8 dramatic, diving digs while robbing aces and kills from Chelsea Larson and the rest of the Napavine offense. “I just get really excited and really want to win‘ she commented about her highly strung motor.

Abby Gorton added 18 assists during the win.

“We didn’t play as well as I thought we should” interjected Toutle Lake Coach Dan Merzoian. “We are early in the season and we just aren’t consistent. We came out really tough and then let down. Most of these girls have played enough to have confidence and that is what we need to work on is having that confidence to be in charge out there.

Despite the coaches high standards, one couldn’t help but think there was a good display of volleyball in Toutle on Tuesday night. Merzoian echoed that sentiment about the Tigers. “They looked really good. They bugged us like crazy and gave us quite a workout“.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT