ADVERTISEMENT

where does Prep stand?

Ptown04

Aug 11, 2004
Can anyone give me info on where Tri-City Prep will be at? i heard they lost some key players but have some good returners

They didn't have a lot but they lost what they had. They also lost their coach in June to retirement. They are very young, top two players are probably sophomores. They have not had any transfers that I am aware of and have yet to name a new head coach with the season starting next week.

Probably be a real tough year for the TC Prep Jaguars in 2004.

Yes, talking it over i have to agree and they are losing there hardest hitter Colt Underwood he is going to go to Richland he will be a Sr and his younger bro Levi Underwood is also going to Richland which he was also a hard hitter and a good reciever. But i dont think they will play at Richland... sad to say they have a lot of talent. I hope Prep will find a good coach who will stick with the team and turn around there program even tho there a kinda new school. Just my thoughts id like to hear yours

Yes, you are correct, the program needs stability in the coaching department and someone that will build the program the way it could be. The Tri Cities is full of talented athletes and even though Prep is small in numbers right now, you would think that some of those athletes would trickle down to them. Tri Cities Prep and Liberty Christian both should have good, competitive programs, and even though they are new they should still be competitive if you look at the big picture. Right now they are not.

Could you imagine if one of them had a great year and made the playoffs? The Tri City football faithful would come out to Lampson or Edgar Brown and support their local 8-man team. Some do it for Touchet and they are 45 minutes away. These are just two programs waiting to experience 8-man football success like no other programs have before. LaCrosse-Washtucna would not get 4,000 people at a playoff game like one of these programs could in the Tri Cities! We can just keep waiting I guess.

Prep announced the hiring of Dan Whitsett (the 8-man guru) from Pac-NW8 High School Football Association. He has just one senior and 15 players total from what I hear. Good luck Dan!?!?!

You would not get anywhere near 4,000 fans to an 8-man state playoff game with LCS or TCP. The reason why you have big crowds at Tri-City games is the schools are huge, and their alumni and community base are very big. With Prep and Liberty, you'll get a few extra bodies out of curiosity but it would mostly be parents, students and those associated with the schools.

Also, it looks like Liberty will be making the move to 11-man in 05.

Liberty Christian has an agenda but it is a death trap. They will not be ready numbers wise to go B-11 by 05. Also, you would easily get 4,000 at a TC Prep vs. Liberty Christian playoff game at Lampson or Edgar Brown down the road.When you see Touchet filling up 3/4 of the home side of the stadium and several of those are curious Tri City fans, then I could only imagine two Tri City schools playing in the same setting.

If there really were 4,000 at a Touchet game it was only because it was part of one of those double or triple headers at Lampson or Edgar Brown where other local teams were playing and the fans hung around or showed up early. No way would 4,000 Tri-Cities fans show up simply out of curiosity for an 8-man game. Too much else to do with the entertainment dollar on a Saturday in November.

Touchet vs. Cusick

Playoffs at Lampson Stadium (2000)
Night Game: 7:00 start - 24 degress

3/4 of the home side (Touchet) of the stadium filled with fans -
another 200 on the Cusick side.

I believe the actually attendance count for that particular game was 3,742
That is what I have written down.

I have to agree with 8 is enough if you think about it at a Pasco high state playoff football game you have richland and kennewick people coming to support the local team and i also think they would do that for prep especially there new and there from all over the tri-cties.

Was this a stand-alone game, or part of a double or triple header. If it was one of several games then that number probably includes fans from Prosser, Connell, or one of the Tri-Cities 4A schools.

are you sure... I seem to remember that time and that game was a final of 4 games played that day in Lampson and there were also some games being played at EB as well.

But, either way... it is a huge crowd for a B8 game. I too think that when L/C or TCP make it to the finals there will be some good following locally. But, 4,000 at any game is a huge turnout even 4A.

TCP will start the move up in a few years, same as L/C. There #'s are increasing. Both have huge Jr High classes coming up and if they can keep 75% going into high school. Also, as they both state... as soon as they get a championship and/or continual success, with the notariaty then attendance will go up as well.

WHS

Liberty has about 22 kids out this year and I hear their eighth grade class has several who are planning to stick around for high school and play. With those numbers why shouldn't they move up? Sure, they won't compete with DeSales or a couple of the other schools for a while but they won't learn the 11-man game playing 8-man, and they can at least have a dream of going to the playoffs. Right now, they have no post-season hopes since they have over 100 kids in grades 9-12. If you were a kid or fan there, wouldn't you rather compete at the 11-man level???

You Have to Realize That.....

Games between Pasco, Kamiakin, and Richland draw over 10,000 people to them at Lampson Stadium and Edgar Brown Stadium. A Typical Richland home game against a Yakima opponent draws 4,500. Football in the Tri Cities is HUGE!!! There are over 200,000 people between the three towns and 5 4A, 1 3A and two private B schools in the three towns alone. All of them play football.

People on the West side do not realize how big it is until they have to come over here and play one of these schools in the play-offs.

It is a great atmosphere and everybody knows each other and sees each other around the towns. It is a lot like one big town when one team is left in the play-offs and everybody rallies around them somewhat. Regardless of their rivalries during the season, the Tri Cities comes together to root on a 2004 Pasco team against Ballard for example.

They have to sell tickets to top Big nine games early and generally the games will be sold out with standing room only available by game time. They had well over 10,000 people at both Pasco/Kamiakin match-ups last season.

ADVERTISEMENT