ADVERTISEMENT

Who will go to state? Welcome to the 2014-15 season

FilmDoesn'tLie

Oct 11, 2012
Who do you predict will go to state this year? I am excited for another season to get underway. Football is a couple weeks from being wrapped up. Aside from those 4 teams, most of us have changed the attention of our prep sports to hoops. This is a great community with lots of years of experience of watching 1A basketball by some of the folks who post here. Of course, if you are new and just found us, you are welcome here too. Please post! A lot of classification changes impact some of the recent top contenders, Toledo and Okanogan who moved down and out of 1A come to mind. Changes in district 3 leagues and their post season qualification are also new this year. I predict a strong showing from Vashon, King's, Zillah, and the Lyncs. Who else will come on strong?

-FilmDoesn'tLie

District 3 has changed quite a bit this year, to recap:

Chimacum, Port Townsend, Klahowya, and Coupeville are all playing in the Olympic 1A league.Vashon, Charles Wright, Bellevue Christian, Seattle Christian, and Cascade Christian are all playing in the Nisqually.The Tri-District is dead. The two leagues in district 3 will take the top 3 from each league and have a district tournament.#2 in Olympic vs #3 in Nisqually, #2 in Nisqually vs #3 in Olympic -- both games loser out.Winners of first round join the league champions, double elimination with 2 spots to regionals.
Based on what I know about the Olympic, Port Townsend would seem to be the best -- although 3 of the 4 teams won 3 games or fewer last year and PT only won 6.

The Nisqually will be interesting -- with 3 teams that all had successful seasons last year returning the majority of their rosters and all of their primary scorers and size. CW, CCS, and Vashon are all hoping to make runs this year. SC lost Cody Miller and need to replace his 20 pts per night, BC was scrappy last year but did not have a lot of wins to show for it.

Like Film -- across the state I see Kings and LC as teams I would figure will be in Yakima. Are there any other dominate teams from last year that return a lot? Zillah will reload but lost a LOT of their title team. A number of good teams from last year moved down to 2B (Okanogan, Toledo, and Brewster) which diluted the 1A ranks a bit in hoop.

FOH

just got back from entertaining game between kings and bellevue. if bellevue is a top 5 team in 3A, 1A teams had better look out. 70-66 bellevue in a game that kings was up in with a couple of minutes left. for a first game, pretty high level of play and kings sophomore shooter was lights out, almost shot them into a major upset. he didn't get a lot of help and they made two or three crucial turnovers late in the game or else we are talking major upset. what's up with kings coach? he got in argument with bellevue player and then shoved him, almost knocking him over. how refs missed that I'll never know. what a disgrace! bellevue fans were screaming for him to be thrown out. heat of the battle and all that, I get it, but its the first game of the year and isn't he supposed to the role model? he deserves to be suspended for a few games. what a jerk.

I may have jumped the gun on Charles Wright -- but for some reason their best shooter (Griffin), their best slasher (Mills), and their best big man (Gorman) are all missing from their box scores. With out them they have been getting beaten like a drum early in the season -- I have no idea why they are all not playing right now or if they will return. Anyone?

FOH

ADVERTISEMENT