ADVERTISEMENT

WIAA Needs Some Help

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
I saw the 2A football draw on the WIAA website today. What a joke. For the 4th year in a row (if not more), two of the top two or three teams in the state will have to play each other in the 1st round. I understand that there are a lot of teams that have to be spread over the bracket, and that the WIAA is trying to keep traveling to a minimum, but this is getting ridiculous.

District 1 #2 and District 4 #2 are once again going head to head in the 1st round. That is looking like Capital traveling north to Lynden this year if teams win out as expected.

Take a look at the last few years:

'09 - Black Hills lost to Lynden in Bellingham (my opinion, two of the best three teams in the state)
'10 - Lynden lost to Tumwater in Bellingham (my opinion, the best two teams in the state)
'11 - N. Thurston lost to Lynden in Lacey (my opinion, the best two teams in the state)

Hypothetically, 2012 looks like Capital @ Lynden in Bellingham (again, my opinion, two of top three in the state)

I feel bad for District 4 and District 1. Every year, those two areas are heads and tails above everyone else in the state, yet they have to beat up and beat out each other the first week of the playoffs. What happened to seeding the playoffs in a way that, baring upsets, puts the top 4 teams in the semis?

With it ending up the same year after year, at some point, someone has to call "foul play" on this. Why does this happen every year? Enough is enough.

A couple of thoughts.... Don't get too far ahead yet. While it may be Capital playing at Lynden, crossovers come before that. Then the seeding is done based on that. I am not sure who gets the Dist 4 #2 seed, as it could be a GSHL team (if I understand the crossovers correctly). It could also be Tumwater, too because if the seeds rotate, then they could fall to #2.

I am not buying that N.Thurston was the 2nd best team last season. I think ATM was the 2nd best, personally. They both gave Lynden a close game that they could have easily won. I thought ATM played better against Lynden than N. Thurston did. The weather also was different in those games, too.

I understand you were hoping for a cakewalk to the semi's, but you've got the game at home. I agree District's 1 and 4 have had the toughest draw in recent years. I honestly think you get an excellent draw having them come all the way up here to play in your backyard.
This post was edited on 10/6 8:18 PM by Warrant3

And if Lynden can go on the road last season and win, then they surely can win games at home!

These things are cyclical often times. There were years when the Kingco was the worst football conference in the state and the SPSL was probably making a similar complaint. A

At the 2A level, with the fact that nobody can watch the game tape of all the teams in the state to use their own eyes to make an intelligent judgement, you cannot justify a "seeding" of teams into the state playoff bracket by a committee or any other group. I don't have a problem with the brackets, because it's just a random draw after taking travel into account for the Eastside teams (which was requested by principals).

I have plenty of beefs with the WIAA but this isn't one of them because I don't see any other way to intelligently and fairly do it. It's not college football where everyone can see the tape and judge with their own eyes to make an informed judgement.

Also, Capital can't be anything but the #3 seed out of their district. Tumwter will likely take the #1, and Mark Morris vs Chehalis crossover winner will take the #2 if I understand their crossover rules.

How is it a "random" draw, when it is the top two teams out of Dist 1 and the Dist 4 against each other in the 1st round almost every year? I have a close friend who says otherwise, and I hear it is not random at all for the most part. If the state "draw" is predetermined, please just sell it that way.

So does the #1 from the EVCO get a n auto bid as the #1 seed? Or does Tumwater (I assume) have to play a playin game?

Things could still shake out much different, but if Capital is Dist 4 #3, they would play at Lakewood assuming Lakewood wins their playin game.

Just realizing that if Lakewood lost that playin game, Lynden would move (potentially) into that #1 slot and play Capital. Lot to be decided. Wish I knew for sure what the Dist 4 crossovers looked like. The Dist 4 site was for last year.

This post was edited on 10/15 9:13 PM by Smallpox

Not a fan of the WIAA, but not a fan of seeding teams each year based on perceived conference strength or other bias towards teams that someone may be more familiar with. However, the WIAA can certainly mix up their match ups now and then so historically strong districts aren't playing each other every single year. Rotate which conferences play each other each year.

Here's my beef:
Why is Dist 1/2 #3 playing Dist 3 #3 while they pair up the #2 from Dist 4 & Dist 1/2?

Why not have Dist 4#2 play 1/2 #3 and the #2 from Dist 1/2 would play the #3 from Dist 3?

I've been trying to figure out the brackets/classifications/leagues and I give up. WIAA website/documents are too difficult for my pea-sized to figure out.
This post was edited on 10/18 7:17 AM by huevosgrande

Don't forget about Sammamish & Lake Washington, which joined the District 1/2 2A this year.

District 1/2 has 14 teams and gets 4 berths. Next year they only get 3 berths with the 14 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT