vb3d

Sep 13, 2008
Results of day #2 (2A through 4A):

#1 - Grandview
#2 - Eisenhower
#3 - North Mason
#4 - Cedar Park Christian
#5-#8 - West Valley, Hockinson, Holy Names, North Central

All 8 of these teams won their morning pools (32 teams, 4-team pools). Of the 1A schools playing up, Cedar Park Christian, King's and Goldendale
(? any others), Cedar Park had the best showing, while King's and Goldendale didn't make the gold level in afternoon tournament play (King's did win the bronze). Interesting that there were so many smaller schools in the top 8.

http://Yakimaherald.com

Well 2 of the 3 small schools are private and the other is a dominating 1A school in the valley. Not sure if it's interesting or just an example of private vs. public :)

LOT, Your implications about private schools is old and worn out. It cheapens the dedication and sacrifice the girls and coaching staff invest into their program to make it the very best. One should look in the mirror if you can’t beat a team whose school has 1/5 of your student body, not make ignorant generalizations.

As for the tournament, the three 1A schools are all ranked top 5 in state. Unlike other team sports, in volleyball the better smaller schools can compete against the middle of the road large schools. Cofax (public school) has been doing that for years, and they will again at the Spokane Crossover as a 2B.

STRAS-
First of all if your going to call someone ignorant than seek to clarify thier point before talking. Second I have no problem losing to a 1A, private, 2A, 3A or 4A school with a strong program. I feel it increases the mental toughness of my team to compete against good teams regardless of size or classification.

It requires strong parental involvement and financial backing to develop a strong program. School communities that have the luxary of both of these traits have a tendency to be more successful than communities that do not. I would venture to guess that families that can afford to pay tuition, can also afford to offer their children athletic opportunities. These same families probably have a much more vested interest in the acadmeic and athletic lives of their students as well. You can also see similar traits in public communities...like a Prosser (football) or a Selah (volleyball). You can call that a generalization. I call it reality.

I am not down playing any school, coach or player commitment or dedication to the creation of a winning program. No amount of money or parent support will change a program that does not have dedicated coaches or athletes.

As far as your reference to Colfax, which has an excellent tradition in volleyball and basketball, they limit the opportunities of their female athletes by only offering volleyball, cheer and cross country in the fall. I wish my school would eliminate soccer. Than I would have those athletes to develop as well.

The debate about whether the private schools' advantage of being able to attract students from all over the area is greater than the public schools' advantages of having much larger talent pools, no tuition, more coaches teaching in the building, and the ability to openly recruit and coach Middle School players within their district will go on forever. And it is actually much more healthy than speculating about who is cheating in their recruiting.

Most of the private and public school coaches that I know work very hard in their programs - and the results show. The part-timers and second sport coaches generally have less success.
This post was edited on 9/16 1:25 PM by Grutzbo

The age old debate of public vs private schools surfaces again!!

A public school MUST draw from the kids in their distict and their district only. Now, plop a private school down and they MAY pick from any kid in a 50 mile radius...if you are in a metro area...man that's tons of kids. With the privates being able to pick and choose they generally get the best of the best. This leaves the public school with the left overs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT