1A Rankings

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
1. King's

2. Royal

3. Cashmere

3. Hoquiam

4. Mount Baker

That's my guess. King's has unquestionably had the biggest wins, and I believe the "toughest" overall schedule in 1A. . We had one poster on here about a week ago laughing at the King's schedule. Well, there are not a lot of comparative games, however, South Whidbey (CC) (3-6) did beat Chelan (CTL) (4-5) a mid-level CTL team to open the season. King's crushed South Whidbey 49-13, while Cashmere beat up Chelan 47-0.
Kings has signature wins over Lynden, ranked #1 in 2a, ATM, ranked #1 in 2A, and Lakewood, ranked #3 in 2A. They're also undefeated.

Royal has become a small school football factory. They play in a very "suspect Conference, the SCAC, however, they beat Cascade (CTL) 52-14 and Quincy (CTL) 39-6.

Cashmere is a very good team. They had a signature win over CC 39-0 to open the season. I'm placing them below Royal in part because they beat Cascade 15-14, while Royal boat raced the same opponent.

Hoquiam I havd a tough time getting good info on Hoquiam, but I think their Conference is pretty solid and their record doesn't lie.

Mount Baker is the sleeper in this group. A very sound football team that has boat raced some very good teams.

There are other teams that could certainly be a part of this group. This is my guess. Share your opinion.

While the AP poll has had some holes, it has been far more accurate than the "computer poll." Two weeks ago the computer had King's as the 12th best team in 1A. Think about it.

This post was edited on 10/27 9:52 AM by Warrant3

I agree with the top 2 i would put baker at 3 teams dont know how physical and punishing the baker line is. if an eastside team plays them in state or really any team at all and they dont bring thier hard hats and lunch pails it could be a long night. BTW warrant are you going to the tie breaker tonight

You might be right about Baker. They've got it going right now. I'm planning on going. Blaine and Nooksack get the best deal playing first. After watching Blaine/Nooksack the other night I don't have a lot of confidence in the Borderites.

Dont sleep on cascade. they have been getting better each week and nearly beat a very dominant cashmere team. I look for them to make some noise in the playoffs.

i still got confidence in blaine tonight they got 2 cracks at it and with maybe the best back in the state they got as great a shot as anyone. can blaines defense stop anyone? that is the huge question mark tonight i hope that blaine can advance because gobbato should play in the postseason once

I know Cascade was an extra point away from Cashmere when they met. They look to be a solid team. We'll find find out about King's and Hoquiam real quickly.

Saying the scac is "suspect" is crazy is crazy. Since 2000 they have had a team in the final all but 2 times, one year they had both. 6 champs and 5 runner ups. Four solid teams this year Royal, Cle elum, Riverview, and Zillah.

Warrant said, " We had one poster on here about a week ago laughing at the King's schedule."

Since, I assume you are talking about me (if not ignore this), I will place what I said before in quotes from the thread that you are referring to, so you don't misunderstand: "BTW, I 100% agree that Kings is #1!!!!"

I was not laughing at King's schedule. I was showing you how the computer views it in their rankings. Go back and reread the thread if you have to. All long on this message board I have said Kings is the team to beat.

In the end rankings mean nothing, as you have to play on the field. We agree that Kingsis #1 and that they have played the toughest schedule through the whole season. So what, you still have to play out the playoffs for them to host the gold ball!

This post was edited on 10/27 1:56 PM by Smallpox

Also, looking at MB's schedule what very good teams have they beat? Meridian is definitely down. NV is up and down. That leaves Blaine who has had some late season struggles. In fact by next week none of those teams may be around in the final 16. Bellingham, Sultan, Cedarcrest, LC and FH are not that good. That leaves Lynden who thumped Baker by 41 points.

baker beat who was in front of them and yes they got thumped by arguably the best 2a team in the state. however once you get into the dance and your red hot like baker is anything can happen ala 2011 NY giants

Agree with you that when you get hot, anything can happen.... I am not sold on that outside of Lynden they have played too many good teams. We shall see. BTW, I would love for MB to go far in the playoffs and represent the NWC!! In fact I am hoping that they and Lynden can host a doubleheader at Civic in a couple of weeks.

Since you decided to point yourself out Smallpox, I'll respond. You said King's schedule was "laughable." That was your word, not mine. The truth is, you mocked their schedule, pointing out teams like South Whidbey and Sultan as weak opponents. What I tried to bring to light is the fact that teams ranked much higher had no more difficult schedule.

The discussion began when I said I thought the "computer" was a joke for ranking King's at #12 in the State.

Thanks for sharing with me that it is eventually settled on the field.

GoKnights1, great points, particularly about having 6 Champions and 5 runnerups since 2000. Just curious how many of those were Royal? I agree with you about Cle Elm, but not sold on the others.

Sorry, Warrant!!! I said the teams (and I listed them) that Kings had played when it comes to strength of schedule) was something to laugh at. I was clearly talking about SW and Sultan and others (not Lynden). Please don't tell me these teams were that difficult to play. That was my point. You didn't read it close at all. I said in the same post that playing Lakewood would change that. That is how the computer sees it. I am not disagreeing that Kings is #1, but I am trying to show you how the computer "sees" it!!

Post that I wrote which you are referring to:
"Please don't tell me that playing SW, GF, Sultan, and
Cedarcrest (no matter 2A or 1A) are that good. They barely can beat
anyone else except themselves! I think SW has a win over Chelan (1-5),
Cedarcrest beat Sammamish, and GF beat Cedarcrest and Coupeville. Just
typing this makes me laugh at this Strength of Schedule for these teams
that Kings had played. Next week against Coupeville won't help. Lakewood
will though!!! Throw in ATM who has beat these same teams... you can
see the picture just like the computer does!!"

BTW, Warrant, do you think that Sultan and SW are good teams? And GF and Cedarcrest? I already said that Lynden and Lakewood are, so we aren't debating that.

This post was edited on 10/27 8:21 PM by Smallpox

lol. I'm happy to see you are finally recognizing how utterly ridiculous the computer rankings were 7 weeks into the season. By the way Smallpox, I am truly impressed with your talented use of the "exclamation key."

From watching kings play idk if any 1a db's are going to be able to stop that passing attack. as far as the eastside goes i believe its gonna come down to royal and cashmere.

I have to agree with you about Cashmere and Royal. Do you think Cle Elm can surprise.

Thanks. Yeah, I went back into the WIAA website and poked around, and I have to admit I was off the mark when looking at the historical strength of the Conference. In my own defense, I was focusing on this season. With the limited info I gathered, I wasn't sure the League was strong other than perhaps the top two.

Warrant3: jake gall is a tough running back to stop, and cle elum also has a a solid passing game which makes them a tough game for anybody. anything can happen in the playoffs but i just dont see them getting to the dome this year

of course Cle Elum has a beautifully paved route to the semis since they will be on the opposite side of the bracket from Royal and Cashmere. Gotta wonder about this format?

My man, not only do they have Cashmere on their side of the Bracket, but they also have Royal. I know you have a something personal against Cle Elum, but ya gotta check your facts first.

Cle Elum, if they get by Connell, would be the Dist 5 #3 seed. Cashmere, if (by if I mean when) they get by what looks like Lakeside they would be the Dist 6/7 #2. Those two seeds face off against each other the 1st round. Royal, once they get by Goldendale, will be the Dist 5 #1 seed. Being the Dist 5 #1 that puts them on the opposite side of the bracket from the 6/7 #1, AKA Chewelah.

If Cle Elum makes it to the Dome, it would mean they would probably hands down have the toughest path there. Connell is Connell, are they down? Sure, but they're still the reigning 1A champs. Cashmere is a perennial power house, undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in every poll. Royal could easily be the best team in the State this year.

If ya don't believe what I have to say, I encourage you to go out and actually check the brackets and then check which teams would fit where on the brackets.

Linebacker, for some reason I was thinking Cle Elum would be on the opposite side? I guess my original point is still valid though. Very unbalanced bracket. Royal, Cashmere and Cle Elum in the same quad? Thats just rediculous.

Very true, it is a very heavily sided bracket. If you were to expand it to the Crossovers it would have Connell there as well technically haha. Just kind of the way that the fates went this year in terms of seeding and records. The SCAC East just so happened to get the #1 overall seed and the CTL the #2 from their respective crossover. And with Cle Elum's loss to Zillah it put them in the same side. But, in the end you have to beat the best to be the best. There is only one left after all.

Riverview this year has also been very tough albeit Royal beat them 39-7 they haven't lost one otherwise and they move the ball very well offensively. King's I can't argue with being number 1. Royal is very diverse offensively though. They can win with finesse or just running the ball right over you. It will be interesting how teams dimensions come to the forefront and define the post season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT