ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Bracket, Who Ya Got

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
Well, here is what the state 1A Football Bracket is looking like (Based on WIAA bracket). There are going to be a couple of tough match ups in the first round, but the second round will bring the heat. One round at a time, who you got and why?

West Side
Blaine (5-5) @ LaCenter (10-0)

Woodland (9-1) @ Mt Baker (8-1)

Montesano (6-4) @ Cascade Christian (9-0)

Kings (8-2) @ Tenino (6-4)

East Side
Okanogan (9-1) @ Connell (8-2)

Meridian (6-4) @ Cashmere (9-1)

Riverview (9-1) @ Freeman (10-0)

Riverside (8-2) @ Royal (7-3)

This post was edited on 11/11 12:27 PM by Washington_sports

This post was edited on 11/11 12:36 PM by Washington_sports

West Side
LaCenter (36-7) - Blaine slips from #4 seed to #3 seed because CW lost, I don't think they can take unbeaten LaCenter

Cascade Christian (42-28) - Still a football powerhouse, CC should push last years champs out of contention.

Mt Baker (21-15) - I will give it to Mt. baker in a close one, haven't see either team play.

Kings (21-20) - Not sure how Tenino at (6-4) ends up as the #1 seed in district 4, but Kings seem to be on a roll (my one upset on east side)

East Side
Connell (34-6) - Connell lost early in the season to Okanogan, but as Cashmere will attest in past years, Connell is very difficult to beat twice in the same season.

Cashmere (42-14) - Cashmere rolls over the #5 seed from the east side. Meridian, good job against CW, Cashmere is a big team to stop and you will have to bring a passing game to cold weather to beat them.

Riverview (42-35) - Riverview is the underdog against unbeaten Freeman, but their passing game is hard to stop. This would be my game of the week

Royal (38-14) - Royal was the #3 seed going into districts and comes out playing as #1. This is where East and West differ, Cinderella gets the spoils for beating top ranked Zillah.
This post was edited on 11/11 12:31 PM by Washington_sports

Are your matchups correct? Newspapers around the state have different versions, as do a couple of coaches I spoke with.

OK, machups have been corrected and match the WIAA website brackets. Nothing gets past you guys. Now lets see how well you can predict what happens Fri and Sat.

West Side[/B]
Blaine (5-5) @ LaCenter (10-0)

LaCenter, 10-0 and have the home field advantage. Win over Woodland looked to be quality win.

Woodland (9-1) @ Mt Baker (8-1)

I'm tossed up about this one. Woodland took out a good Montesano team, but lost big to LaCenter. Mt Baker played Lynden and Kings well but squeaked by Meridian. I think I will go with the home team Mt Baker in a squeaker.

Montesano (6-4) @ Cascade Christian (9-0)

Whoa, these two have epic battles every time they play. Coaches and players know each other well. In last years State Championship run for Montesano, the only blemish was the CC game which came down to the last :40 seconds. Tis true CC got Montesano earlier in the year at Montesano, but neither team was at full strength. The team who keeps penalties and turnovers to a minimum will win. It is a shame these two meet so early in the playoffs. I will take CC and the home field advantage.

Kings (8-2) @ Tenino (6-4)

I like Kings in this one. The losses were to quality teams including Lynden who they played respectively and who is undefeated this year in 2A. Tenino seems to be inconsistent?? They defeated a good Montesano team at Montesano, but lost big to LaCenter. In their defense, it may have been when Montesano had some good kids out with injury.

East Side
[/B]Okanogan (9-1) @ Connell (8-2)

This is another toss up to me. Okanogan got Connell their second game by 13 at home. Connell's other loss was to Othello their first game of the year so they started the season 0-2. Okanogan lost by 35 in Cashmere 6 games in. I don't know the health of the players on either team so "I can't make the key man down" argument. I would guess Okanogan would be the favorite, but I'm going to go with the home team, and pick Connell.

Meridian (6-4) @ Cashmere (9-1)

The only loss Cashmere has on their record was an early season defeat by CC, running the table since. I am also impressed with the 35 point win over Okanogan. Having said that, the spread of their games since CC may indicate, very few if any, quality opponents. Meridian has 2 losses to higher classification schools and 2 losses to 1A schools (Blain and Mt Baker). Cashmere has done a good job protecting their house and I think this week will be no exception. Meridian to Cashmere is a long ride, I think Cashmere will win.

Riverview (9-1) @ Freeman (10-0)

I'm not sure about these two teams. Riverview lost to Connell by 10 in game 8 for their only loss. Freeman has run the table including some wins over higher classification schools. I'm going with Freeman.

Riverside (8-2) @ Royal (7-3)

This is another one that is a little confusing. Who is Royal? The team that knocked off #1 Zillah or the team that has 3 losses including Zillah and Riverview both by 30-35 points and Connell by 28? They could be peaking at the right time. Riverside's losses have been to Timberlake ID and by 34 to Freeman. I think this one can go either way and the team that wins will be the team that doesn't shoot themselves in the foot. I always like "routine", "repetition" and "familiarity" that is part of the "home field advantage". When all other factors look equal, I'll take the home team. So it is with this game. I'll take Royal to win one more week.

La Center - stays perfect

Mt Baker - in a squeaker

Cascade Christian - to many weapons for a rebuilding Monte squad

Kings - waaaayyyy tougher schedule and they have proved they can play with anyone

Connell - first game had clay ashworth under center and since then unfortunately okanogan has become a little predictable

Meridian - Cashmere always seems to win the league and get out coached in the playoffs, this game has that look with a tough Meridian team

Royal - coaching coaching coaching

Riverview - Freeman's perfect season ends on an air attack

Jump in TR Mountie! Post the rest of your picks!
roll.r191677.gif

LaCenter- Top 4 team in state. Might take the west side of bracket.
Mt. Baker- Close one here, but I think Baker will pull this out
Cascade Christian- expect to see them in atleast the Semi's this year
King 's- Easy draw extends King's season for a week. They'll be starting basketball next week after facing cc

Connell- I think this will be another close battle like the first matchup. Connell will pull away in the 2nd half with the home field.
Cashmere- Meridian might keep it closer than expected if they can get their passing game hitting on all cylinders. If not... Long day, Well short day with the running clock
Riverview- NEA hasn't given Freeman the look they need to win against top competition. Riverview's Defense is underrated. They have their rb back and will be able to spread the ball to their athletes. Field turf is an advantage for their team speed.
Royal- peaking at the right time of the year. Superior coaching. If riverside can only put up 19 on Chelan, I wouldn't expect more than 7 on Royal

Lacenter ground attack will prove too much, it is too hard to simulate in practice, even for good teams.

Mt. Baker over Woodland in the best matchup. Their attack will keep Woodland on defense long enough to win.

CC over Monte again. Monte is making great strides, will they put it together like they did last year at this time? NO

Kings will have just enough to slow down Chamberlain but it will be a struggle.

Connell returns the favor and wins this time.

Cashmere and Meridian is a tough one but go with the Bulldogs.

Freeman has some good wins this year and gets another one in this round.

Royal wins, as said above, coaching.

I been trying to get on all week. If the wind don't blow right way I don't get signul from my neighbor's internets antenna. I don't know too much about other teams excpt that the Mounties beat all them but you asked
Blaine couldmnt' beat the Mounties but no one could beat us this year. I say Blaine beats those other guys.
Mounties all over Stumpland lol 100-3
Still never heard of Mountsano so I go with the other guys.
Got a budy from Tenino he says they're gonna win so Tenino 100-6 lol
I spent some time justoutside of Connell years ago and I hated every minute of it and I gone hunting some times around Okagnokin and I love it there nothing to fence you in so I say OKangkokin wins 100-12
The Blulldogs are gonna pop the Trojans lol. We beat them bad but I cant remember too much about that game other than they didn't want to play no more after the Mounties were done with them.
I never heard of them other four teams except Royal isn't the same as Kings? I think WashinSports you screwed that up.
Almost time to head in for the game gonna tailgate and listen to Lynden before the Mounties chop down Woodland. Serious man they're goin to change their Mascot to Stumpland after tonight.

Lets see Royal wins in a blow out, Kings and Okanogan advance so far.

Watched the Kings-Tenino game and Kings didn't win it as much as Tenino lost it. Neither team played defense until Q3 when both teams got their first stops. Tenino fumbled the ball their first possessions, one inside Kings 10, one on their own 30-35 and one after a fantastic return on about the Kings 40-45. All three resulted in Kings scores. So possible 42 point turn. Both teams looked ok running the read option. Both teams had a running back who was pretty good, 22 on Kings, 8 on Tenino. Both QB's made up their side of the option and did ok. Neither team looked comfortable passing although part of that could be weather related. It was windy and rainy. (In Washington?? go figure?) I was surprised at the lack of defense by both teams. The first half neither team got a stop on the other. (Unless you count laying the ball on the ground.) I saw Kings last year and with no Bill Green replacement as of yet, they are a running team now. I enjoyed watching Green last year. You could tell he worked at his craft.

Anybody see the other games??

TRMountie I love your posts!! Did you tailgate last night? Maxpreps is showing the Mt Baker game tonight?? Could be one really long tailgate party.......
roll.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT