ADVERTISEMENT

End of Caribou Trail League

ducks& beavers

Jun 29, 2011
It looks like the end of the Caribou Trail League. They tried to enter the SCAC, but were rejected by their principals on Thursday, January 16th. It seems like the CTL should of just formed a 4 team league until the next re-alignment cycle, but that will not work because Omak joined up with a 2B league. They are running out of options, perhaps the CTL needs form a 3 team league for the next two years. It seems teams north of 1-90 are given the short end of the stick. Other options?

The sports logistics for the three schools: Chelan, Cashmere, and Cascade is not good for their long term future. Teams in Okanogan County are slowly losing their population. Omak is the only school with a Class A designation. The prospect of any of the 2B schools gaining enough population to move up to Class A is very low. The 3 schools in Chelan County are on an "island" far from the mainland. Think of what happened at the 4A level with the Columbia Basin Schools two years ago. The Tri City schools didn't want to drive such long distances to visit Yakima, Wenatchee, and Moses Lake area schools. The same thing is now taking place at the Class A level. You can hardy blame these districts, having to spend so much money and time diving from Point A to Point B, especially when the driving distance is over 3 hours long each way. Why would a Class A schools from the Tri-City area, want to make such a long drive to visit Chelan, Leavenworth, or Cashmere every football, soccer, volletball, basketball, etc season?

Question #1 Why did the leadership wait to the last second to ask the SCAC to enter their league? I would have to say that the administrators at Cashmere, Cascade, and Chelan lacked proper judgment. The Superintendents at each district are making $100,000-150,000 dollars per year, did they not see this coming? That's why they are paid the big bucks. I guess they are spending too much time with their "pork barrel" projects. This is made worse when it happened so soon after the break-up of the CBBN.

Question #2 What is their Plan B? It is quite simple. They don't have one! This displays total incompetence on their part, and a total lack of leadership, and more important, a total absence of courage to think outside "the box".

I believe the readers of this website could come up with some ideas. Let's hear them.

Your right "smallpox". But this is the only site on the "world wide web'" where people interested in Class 2A and 1A sports in the State of Washington can communicate.

Getting back to the CTL........I know this suggestion has the odds of succeeding as much as me winning the lottery......but here it goes.

As I've already stated.....the population logistics in the smaller towns in North Central Washington, north of I-90 is quite clear. With the exception of Cashmere, Chelan, and Leavenworth, no other town will achieve the school population numbers to achieve Class 1A status. In my opinion, towns like Brewster, Tonasket, and Okanogan; after a mental adjustment of being Class 2B, will enjoy the benefits of being the "big school" on a block in Class 2B, rather than the runt in 1A. Each one of those schools should succeed going to Spokane each winter for WIAA Championships.

That leads us to the three C's; Cashmere, Cascade, and Chelan. With joining the SCAC as a long shot, I would suggest moving up. That's right, move up to 2A and join the Central Washington 2A league. But I'm not talking about going as 1A schools into the 2A level. There is only one school in the WIAA doing that, Archbishop Murphy in Snohomish County. I am talking about merging. Cashmere and Cascade should merge into "one school" for sports purposes. Meaning they would stay as two separate districts, but form 1 Varsity, 1 Junior-Varsity, 1 Sophomore, and 1 Freshman team for each sport between both schools. This is done all the time at the 2B and 1B levels, two or three towns coming toghether to form one sports team. According to WIAA 2014-16 population statistics, their combined student population would place them above the 2A median, at around 700 students. Just use the same "Combo" idea at the 2A level.

The Chelan situation would have more political obstacles to overcome. Their partner to merge with would be ........Manson. Lets face the facts about the Chelan/Manson situation. Over the past decade, perhaps much longer, the better athletes who live in the town of Manson's boundaries, have been going to Chelan anyway. Many of the excuses of those families who didn't want didn't want to send their kids to Manson, the school district they live in, was based on Racism. They didn't want the kids going to a "Mexican School" . Sorry for being blunt. (Actually, I'm not) If it wasn't for the 10, 15, 20, or ??? kids "transferring" to Chelan, the Mountain Goat's football, basketball, and volleyball teams would not of been having the Statewide success that they have been having. the opposite is true for Manson, they would not be the uncompetitive doormat that they have been at the 2B if kids living in the Manson boundry went to school in Manson.. The ugly truth might be difficult to some to handle, but it is never the less true. But the best way to deal with the truth is to be honest about it........and learn from your mistakes......over forgiveness......and move forward. The Chelan and Manson school districts should truly merge and form one larger school.

Yes, I mean a straight-up merger of the two school districts. Both districts currently have their Junior High and Senior High schools on the same campus. I would suggest that they put the "Combined" High School in the Chelan campus, and the "Combined" Junior High on the Manson Campus. The Chelan campus is very much under funded in terms of Athletic Facilities, so a bond measure would need to be passed to build additional facilities. Their combined population would place them near or at the bottom of the WIAA Class 2A at 500 students. But the "synergy" created by treating everyone equal should create major benefits, not only athletically through sportsmanship, but socially as well.

The best community I can compare it to in the 2A level, is Othello High School. In this district, It doesn't matter where your parents where born when it comes to who is starting in the Skill positions. The best athlete, regardless of your heritage, earns the position. Imagine that......a town mostly with Hispanic Families.......doing things the "true" American Way. When has a Hispanic kid from Chelan, or Cashmere, or Cascade; been the starting Quarterback, Running back, Point Guard, or Setter on their team. The Hispanic kids who play these sports are the "Role Players". You know, second string this, 3rd string that, JV player here, JV player there. Its not surprising that the only sport that the Hispanic Families compete in is Soccer.......but notice how these district's don't allow these teams play on the Stadium Field.. or under the lights.....so that the parents, aunts, uncles, and their friends can see them play at 7:00PM. The soccer teams are giving 4:00 PM starts or 1:00 PM starts on Saturday, when many of the parents are still working. Let me guess, they don't want 135 pound soccer players to tear-up the field!

Racism is not limited to Cashmere, Chelan, and Leavenworth, its all over, but if we see the success in Othello, and duplicate it, then we raise the bar even higher. Chelan County schools will truly serve all the kids, with the spirit on 1776, rather than prejudice of Montgomery, Alabama in 1960's.

The only thing I have heard on here is the silence of those posting on this 1A Football board.

Ducks and Beavers.....aka Mr. Amsel. I love to read the rants you go on. They are interesting, well written and you seem like a highly intelligent man. That's why you confuse me...I've watched junior play out his high school career at chelan, even coached against him his freshmen year in hoop. But, bringing out the race card is way out of line. For one coaches want to win, so if a player can help them do that they're playing!! I'm just about tired of hearing how bad the so called minority population has it. If its so bad go back to Mexico, raise ur family there. The U.S. is a melting pot nowadays, and it's going to have its problems in the future because of it. I guess it's so bad now that high school coaches need to make sure that they have a certian number of minorities on a team. So there's no questions of racism or being biased. That's completely ridiculous. This years starting point guard for chelan is Mexican. I'm a white guy with white sons, I'm just hoping they will get a fair shot knowing that this country is so racist paranoid they might actually not get a fair shake anymore. Best person for the job, that's how it needs to be whether they're green, purple, brown or white. But I wouldn't expect anything different from ducks and beavers. Always in the middle of accusations and controversy. Just delete your account, go watch your son at WVC cause this site has heard enogh of your BS.

It seems to be official, Cashmere, Chelan, and Cascade will not be joining the SCAC. Along with Omak, the four schools will keep the Caribou Trail League intact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT