ADVERTISEMENT

Meridian Players Walk-Off

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
Heard this morning that a majority of the Meridian football team refused to go to practice yesterday in preparation for their Saturday night's game against Squalicum. Sounds as if they are refusing to play for coach Bob Ames and another member of his staff. The game scheduled for Saturday night has been forfeited. Should be interesting to hear what comes out of this. Here is a link to a report:

http://kpug1170.com/news/007700-meridian-forfeits-saturdays-football-game-vs-squalicum/

Team and players both have been very quiet. To their credit both sides have said close to nothing publicly. They are working on this internally. A bit disappointing that some in the community have been eviscerating the boys on Facebook while knowing next to nothing about what's going on, but I guess that's expected. People in the Laurel community are passionate about this program. It's touched the lives of just about everyone here in the past 40+ years in one way or another. My guess is we learn some details on Monday. Then will begin the effort to correct all the misinformation that's already been thrown around.

Also, they didn't "walk off". They met previously as a group and opted not to go to practice. What we don't know are details in terms of what sort of communications happened previous to this non-practice event.

Thanks for the info. I too have heard it was not a "walk off" but a refusal to go to practice. I agree, appreciative that most if not all involved are handling this internally. Everyone else needs to wait to see what comes out of it. I have my thoughts on what is going on here, but have no facts to back that up. Too bad for everyone involved.

Thanks for the info. I too have heard it was not a "walk off" but a refusal to go to practice. I agree, appreciative that most if not all involved are handling this internally. Everyone else needs to wait to see what comes out of it. I have my thoughts on what is going on here, but have no facts to back that up. Too bad for everyone involved.
My question is simply did the entire team not show to practice? If so, something serious is going down. I can't fathom that you'd get buy-in from the entire team.

ADVERTISEMENT