1A State Final 4

AnderBruins

Mar 24, 2007
White Salmon over Overlake 2-1
Seattle Academy over Charles Wright 2-1
Connell over Wahluke 6-0
Brewster over Forks 8-1

So that means on Friday May 29th the matchups are:
Seattle Academy vs. Columbia (White Salmon)
Brewster vs. Connell

It surprises me that Seattle Academy can qualify for state in the Fall and yet still make a good run like they are now.

Is there a limit on when they practice, since their season ended in the Fall? When are they allowed to practice in the Spring? Do they have the same issue of coaching involvement after the Fall and until the state tourney? Just wondering, since it seems so strange how they have their districts setup. That said, good for them.

My uneducated guesses are:

White Salmon over Seattle Academy 2-1
Connell over Brewster 3-2

A team can begin practice 20 days before the state playoffs. This rule is also used by golf teams that play a fall season. The issue is addressed in the WIAA handbook. The rules can be accessed via wiaa.com.

i think white salmon will beat seattle academy.. white salmon got 3rd last year and seattle academy lost against connell in the quarterfinals... but these two teams could be diffrent from last year.. brewster vs connell should be a toss up seems like both teams are playing really good... this will be the first time we play them since ive been in high school...

4 Quality Teams should prove to be a great day of soccer. I predict Seattle Acadamy and Connell in the finals.

Thanks for the link, since I didn't know how this works. Pretty amazing that they can play so well with only 20 days of practice. Must have some good players or just have played together for awhile.

This is just a guess, but I would think that they have been practicing for longer than 20 days. I am sure that many of these private school players play together in the club system and/or they have someone who is not one of the high school coaches who is getting them together for training long before the 20 days.

The rule states that only the High School coaches cannot coach.

IMO - The out of season rules are ridiculous because there is always a loop hole, and the programs that are near a larger population center have an easy time of taking advantage of those loopholes - a fact that seems to be most glaring in the girls game.

There are a number of states that have just pitched the 'out of season' rules because it was decided that they didnt work and that they discriminated against smaller schools.

I am a supporter of the 3 sport athlete, but I do not think the 'out of season' rules work to preserve the dwindling number of athletes who turn out and excel at 3 high school level sports.

Agree...
This should be our first job as a coaches association...
Submitting a proposal to WIAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT