ADVERTISEMENT

**2012 2A Playoff Pick 'Em** Standings and Semifinal Picks

football_fever3

Sep 23, 2006
Alright, so that took a bit longer than what I had envisioned. With that said, be sure to let me know if you think i added up your points incorrectly. I did find a couple of errors when I randomly re-checked a few, so there is bound to be a couple left. I can easily adjust the totals/standings.

Current Standings:[/B]

The amounts go in this order (last week's total, pts for picking winners, pts for why, pts for margin of victory, pts for total points scored)

1. Peteypab8 - 16 + 6 + 1 + 4 + 3 = 30
1. Macman28 - 16 + 6 + 1 + 3.5 + 3.5 = 30
3. borderite2000 - 14 + 8 + 1 + 4.5 + 1.5 = 29
4. gooddog1 - 16 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 2 = 28
4. Westside4 - 14 + 8 + 1 + 4 + 1 = 28
4. sport11821 - 14 + 8 + 1 + 4 + 1 = 28
7. Little_Lion_Man - 16 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 1.5 = 27.5
7. NWC Fballfan - 16 + 4 + 1 + 2.5 + 4 = 27.5
9. Smallpox - 16 + 6 + 1 + 2.5 + 1.5 = 27
10. BE Fan - 14 + 6 + 1 + 4 + 1 = 26
11. txkill - 14 + 4 + 1 + 2.5 + 4 = 25.5
12. maroonandblue - 16 + 6 + 1 + .5 + 1.5 = 25
12. Moch77 - 16 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 0 = 25
12. Football_Fever3 - 16 + 6 + 1 + 1.5 + .5 = 25
12. InnocentbystanderLL - 14 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 25
16. cougarhouse - 14 + 6 + 1 + 2.5 + 1 = 24.5
17. northeast_a - 14 + 6 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 22
18. nunya_biz - 10 + 6 + 1 + 2.5 + 1 = 20.5
19. kart17wins - 14 + 6 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 20
20. Warrant3 - 12 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 17
21. Rainmaker 2112 = 14
22. LW-Observer = 12
22. PMForever = 12
22. Scorebooks = 12
25. DaunteGouge = 10
26. Zagalicious = 8

SemiFinal Picks Scoring:[/B]

FIRST: [/B]Make a prediction of a winner[/B] for each game. This is what everyone did last week. (Worth 3 points each - For a total of 6 points)

SECOND: [/B]Write out a sentence[/B] or more for each pick, as to why you made that selection. If you have no idea, just write you have no idea what, gut feeling, flipped a coin, etc ... (Worth .5 points each - For a total of 1 point)

THIRD: [/B]Select a margin of victory [/B]for each matchup. EXP: Burlington OVER Capital by 7. ((Pick within 14 (2 scores) = .5 pts -- Pick within 7 (1 score) = 1 pt -- Pick within 3 (1 fg) = 1.5 pts -- Pick exactly right = 2 pts))

FOURTH:[/B] Select a final score[/B] for each matchup. (If the combined score of both teams is within 14 points = .5 pts -- within 7 points = 1 pt -- exactly correct = 3 pts)

SemiFinal Matchups:[/B]

Capital Vs. Lynden[/B] (Tacoma Dome - Friday at 1pm)
Tumwater Vs. Prosser[/B] (Lampson Stadium - Saturday at 5pm)

Be sure to have your picks in by 1pm on Friday for them to be valid

Have a great thanksgiving week everyone! Be sure to travel safe if you are traveling to see family, or if you are heading to any games this weekend. Congrats and good luck to the final four teams!

Lynden[/B]: Both teams have high powered offenses, but Lynden's D looks to be a better quality defense than Capitols. If Lynden can contain Van Sickle and Capitols massive offensive line, which they will, then they can leave it to Kraght, Christianson, Vis, Meyer, and the rest of the crew to take them to the title game. Final score: 28-14[/B], Lynden wins by 14.

Tumwater: Don't know much about either of these teams, expected to be picking Othello in this spot, honestly. But Tumwaters coach is legendary, and he seems to be able to do a lot with whatever team he's got. Also, it would be nice to see Lynden play Tumwater in the Championship game. The last time Lynden played Tumwater, Tumwater knocked two-time defending state champ Lynden out of the playoffs, then went on to steam roll ATM in the title game. Lyndens star players were sophomores then.... rematch? Final score: 21-17[/B], Tumwater wins by 4.

Lynden 35 Capital 28...I think Lynden has the size to keep Capital offense under 30. Will be checking this game during timeouts of Apple Cup on roots sports. Lynden by 7.

Tumwater 35 Prosser 21...I just think Tumwater winning the tough EVCO says something about their talent. Tumwater by 14.

Lynden - Been playing solid all year long, consistency is why i chose Lynden to win. 38-24

Tumwater - I too thought i'd be picking Othello here, but since they're not here, i don't think Prosser has the defense to stop a tough running team. Tumwaters Wing-T will be to much for Prosser. 28-17

I've always stunk at predicting, so the downward spiral should continue (see if THAT prediction holds)!

Lynden over Capital. I live in Lynden, how can I not? But if what the 1st poster says is true about the Capital defense not being as good as Lynden's, then I feel good about this one. Sounds like Capital has a play from close or ahead offense. If they get down by 2 TD's, how do they come back? But, if they can roll on the ground, and keep the ball from the Lions, then they have a good chance. But they won't. Lynden by 21; 42-21.

Tumwater over Prosser. Here's why. A Tumwater vs. Lynden final would be a great story, but only for those in Tumwater and Lynden. Derric Croft, LHS class of 91, was one of the best, if not the best, basketball players ever to wear the green & gold. His son, is the Tumwater QB! Tumwater by 10; 31-21.

(I might be a bit of an EvCo homer)

Capital over Lynden by 7. 31-24. I think Capital is the underdog in this game, and they need to play a perfect game to win. With that being said, most people don't know they have an above average passing game, they just haven't had to throw yet this year. I think this is the best team Lynden will face all year, while Lynden is probably the 4th best team Capital has faced (that isn't a slight on Lynden, they are legit). It will be a fast, physical, and tough game for all 4 quarters. One thing to watch, Capital's best DB/WR returns from a 3 game suspension this game.

Tumwater over Prosser by 7. 28-21. This is an interesting game. I think Prosser matches up better with Tumwater than Othello would've. Tumwater's defense is pretty legit, but their one "weakness" would be their pass coverage. With that being said, I think that football on the east-side of Washington has been down lately. I don't see Tumwater's offense being stopped in this game. The weather probably favors Tumwater's running game too, as (I think) it is supposed to rain this weekend.

I did not vote for the games last week, but here's my go at it this week:

Lynden v Capital: Lynden is on a roll. One of the best classes (and that's saying a lot) gets to the title game again with a shot at repeating. Capital makes it interesting, but the Lions pull it out: 30-21

Prosser v Tumwater: Tumwater puts it on the ground and runs with speed. Good defensive line. Prosser can throw it around, but the re-emergence of their ground game makes the difference and the Mustangs go back to the title game to rematch the 2008 2A Title Game: 27-17

Capital over Lynden by 3 (45-42) - I think this is going to be a very good and close game. Probably one of the best games in 2A all season. I pick Capital for the win just because I feel they have been tested more than Lynden has this season. Both teams have a lot of experience in the playoffs though. Its gonna be high scoring b/c both teams are high powered.

Tumwater over Prosser by 7 (28 -21) - This is a though matchup as well. Tumwater, from what it sounds like, is the 2nd or 3rd best team on the West side, and Prosser is the 2nd on the East so this should get interesting. I pick Tumwater for the win, but it is gonna be a long drive to the tri-cities this weekend.

Lynden over Capital by 14...35-21..Lynden is a team that is hitting on all cylinders at the right time. Capital seems too one dimensional in the run game with Van Sickle to keep up with the Leos.

Prosser over Tumwater by 7....21-14...Both have good defenses, but Stangs have home field advantage and can throw the ball a little bit better.

Lynden over Capital by 21, 35 - 14. Lynden has all the tools this year and walks over Capital.

Tumwater over Prosser by 14, 21 - 7. Tumwater will be upset over their having to travel East and Prosser will pay the price.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Lynden over Capital by 13 (41-28) This will be a tough hard fought game but I have to go with Lynden's experience in the dome. Capital has great size on the o-line and a tremendous rb in Vansickle, but Lynden has some great size on D also and more importantly great team speed. Lynden's DE's Matt Meyer (6'-5" 280) and Caleb Newman (6'-3" 230) both have D-1 offers and ILB Jaremy Martin (6'-2' 240 JR) is a big hitter in the middle. Returnig all state saftey Zach Vis (6'-3" 195) might be the teams best defensive player. The Lion's offense is really playing well right now and I can't see anyone holding them under 40 points. Capital will probably be the best team Lynden has faced this year and if Capital thinks (like stated above) that Lynden is the 4th best team they will have played this year, it will be a big mistake on their part.

Tumwater over Prosser by 13 (34-21) Don't know a whole lot about these teams but I do know Tumwater has a great coaching staff and will have them playing tough physical football.

Pretty sure I wrote "i think" not "capital cougars think". I just think it'd be silly if i went against the team I thought would win.

Yes Westside I also saw the "I" in your statement. I was just saying that Capitol after playing such a tough schedule with three teams "better than Lynden" as you said better not under estimate the Lioms. I'm pretty sure they won't either.
wink.r191677.gif

Just curious who in your opinion were the three better teams? Tumwater, Bellermine and who else?

I don't think Tumwater is better than Lynden at all. I believe whoever wins the Capital vs. Lynden should win it all. I was going to say Bothell and Newport, but they were both run-first teams which is why Capital was able to stop them. I think Capital has a lot more trouble against the pass, which is why I consider them an underdog tomorrow!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Lynden over Capital by 8 28-20. Lynden jumps in front with long drives. Lynden's defense shuts down the Cougar ground game and the Lions secondary comes up with big plays to salt away the win.

Tumwater wins vs. Prosser by 13. 27-14. T Birds defense will stymie the Stangs and get enough offense from Croft and Co.
to get the W.

Lynden OVER Capital - I am still trying to work things the right way so I can make it down to the Dome tomorrow afternoon. That said, I can't wait to see this match-up, whether in person or on TV. Capital has the run game, the Lions are said to be a passing team. That has not gone well for the Cougars who seem to struggle in pass coverage. The thing about the Lions though, is that they can run the ball just as well as they can throw it. I would be shocked if Capital holds the Lions to under 28. So it comes down to how well Lynden's D can slow down the Cougar O. I will tip my hat to a starting defense that has given up FOUR td's since week one. Lynden by 11 (35-24)

Tumwater OVER Prosser - Tumwater is well coached, plays great defense, and tackles well. Add to that a disciplined offense, and they just plain and simple out physical the Mustangs. The only thing that will hurt that is to turn the ball over and give Prosser a short field early and often. T-Birds by 11 (28-17)

Lynden over Capital by 7: 21-14. I have seen too many times where high scoring teams come into these games and in the end mistakes and defenses take over. Oddly enough this could be won by who wins the battle of field position. I will go with Lynden because they have a knack for winning these close ones in the dome.

Tumwater by 14 over Prosser: 28-14. I just think that Tumwater is too good to lose this one, but why do I have feeling this one will be close in the end.

Side Note: I think that either of these games could go either way. So hard to predict turnovers, field position, penalties, etc.

Lynden 28-14 Their passing game will be too much for Capital and being inside they don't have to worry about weather at all.

Tumwater 24-7 Close game in the first half but Tumwater figures out Prosser's offense in the second half to pull away.

Lynden over Capital by 11 (28-17):
I just think Capital is too one dimensional to get past the Lions. It will be won in the trenches. Capital plays 6-7 guys both ways along the line. Can they hold up for 4 quarters today?

Tumwater over Prosser by 21 (28-7):
If Tumwater can duplicate their defensive effort against ATM they are going to be very tough. Having said that, their record playing on the Eastside is spotty. I have been told Tumwater's passing "D" is a suspect so that may bode well for the Mustangs.

This post was edited on 11/23 11:09 AM by Warrant3

Lynden by 35, 42-7 Don't know much about either of them other than Lynden is the defending champs that returned a lot of starters. Capital's stud breaks one long one.

Tumwater by 28, 35-7 Tumwater's JV gives up a TD in the 4th quarter.

Lynden OVER Capital by 11 (31-20) - I think Capital's strategy coming into this game will be to keep Lynden's offense off the field by running the ball over and over and over, while Lynden will be content to employ their "bend but don't break" defensive mentality for much of the game. In the end Lynden has too many offensive weapons and comes up with a couple critical stops on D and pulls this one out.

Tumwater OVER Prosser by 28 (35-7) - Prosser scored twice against Othello, and I think Tumwater has the capability of shutting teams down defensively more than most in the state. Brown breaks a couple big runs, and otherwise Tumwater simply churns out slow constant yardage on the way to a big win, setting up a 2010 rematch of Tumwater's closest playoff victory that year.

Lynden over Capital by 14 (35-21) I feel Lynden is able to neutralize capitals size and wins the game

Tumwater over Prosser by 21 (42-21) tumwater pulls away from Prosser, tumwater just has better athletes

"Stangs have home field advantage and can throw the ball a little better."

Just think of how many points Tumwater would have scored this year (and ATM last year for that matter)...if they could only PASS BETTER!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT