ADVERTISEMENT

3 Murphy girls go D1!

inyourface2618

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty amazing to see 3 girls from AMHS go D1 over the past year!
Alyssa Smith to Montana
Shelby Lyman to Cornell University
Sam Pettinger to University of the Pacific

These girls should be proud of what they've done! Congratulations ladies!

What an amazing coincidence that they all went to this little old private school in Everett. What are the odds?

Agreed!

That's a great testament to the overall quality of that school when it comes to academics, atmosphere, athletics and girls basketball coaching. Congratulations to Archbishop Murphy and those fine student-athletes...

Re: Agreed!

You are right on. With great atmosphere and solid promtion of their athletic programs, it's a great draw for players from far and wide.
You can't take away from the girls all the hard work that went into what they've accomplished. It'd just be nice to see 'em play in the community that they live in.

Burn the privates and take all their Gold!

We either need to ban private schools from sports competitions or let Colfax play in the 1A and 2A tournaments as well as the 2B so publics can win their fair share.

Congrats to those lady wildcats, even though because ATM has higher SAT scores than most of the other teams in their league they must have cheated on them as well, a well earned congrats.

Now just a disclaimer, incase any lawyers have daughters stuck on crappie public teams, I have no evidence that anyone from ATM or any private school cheated on their SATs, nor do I have a specific example I can cite, heck I don’t even know if any actual real numbers show privates have higher SAT scores, but come on we all know they must be cheating. They get to pick the smartest kids from every public school for 50 miles any direction and trick their parents in to paying a couple grand and then have the gal to expect dedication to high goals. Why if that ain't academic cheating I don't know what is. I know my kids aren't average talent with an average work ethic, or basketball gods forgive, below average. In fact, they should be starting but that's another story and that coach isn't going to be on the bench next year.

You know, we go through coaches every couple of years and we still haven't found one that has built a program to compete with those privates. Law of averages, they must be cheating right?

Re: Burn the privates and take all their Gold!

Hey I hear that privates are opting up so they don't have to compete with Colfax.

Ya that's some great coaching right there. When you can build a winning team with only 3 D-1 players.

Wow, good job Murphy, great job coaches and players, keep it up!

Congrats to Alyssa Smith and what she was able to do at Murphy and also to Sam Pettinger and Shelby Lyman for their accomplishments. All 3 of them worked extremely hard to get where they are and I find it amusing people are assuming they “cheated” knowing nothing about these girls…So please if you know for a FACT these girls received “special treatment” let me know because all this talk about Murphy recruiting players is getting old. Other schools persuade kids to come to their school also.

I don’t think people should be accusing them of being “recruited.” You don’t know why they decided to go to Archbishop. It could be for a number of reasons; their religion, Archbishop is the only Catholic school in Snohomish County, the education and smaller class sizes or maybe they didn’t want to go to their respective high schools for whatever reason. Don’t assume because they are athletes and attend Murphy, they were recruited.

It would be nice to see Lyman and Pettinger playing at their respective schools, but there is nothing that can be done. Lyman would be at Glacier Peak and Pettinger at Jackson. Wesco South would be even more competive. I have seen Smith, Lyman, and Pettinger play many times and together they are a blast to watch, and all 3 played on the same AAU team for years.

As for Archbishop opting up, wouldn’t they be ridiculed for playing 1A? Kings plays 1A and wins state in many sports. Just a thought …
This post was edited on 12/19 9:12 AM by highschoolsports1012

One question...

Have you ever seen Coach Barhanovich run a practice? Talent does not automatically equal success in high school, you have need to have the adult leadership, organization and motivation to harness that talent and let it soar. Watch 5 minutes of the coaching that these girls at Archbishop Murphy receive and it would become readily apparent why they play so well as a team in the games, not to mention their commitment to strong organized defense.

As for King's, I fully agree that King's seems to get a free pass when it comes to private schools eating up championships, and they don't even opt up. They win volleyball, cross country, track, soccer and compete at the highest levels of basketball, yet nobody complains about their transfers or questions why they don't opt up to a classification befitting their talent level. Strange.

I totally agree, Kings seems to be able to cruise on through 1A championships without any mention of "recruiting" or what public schools their kids should be at. One of the senior guys on their basketball team transferred from Seattle Prep this year... his senior year? Recruited? Who knows and I really don't care, but it makes me laugh when I continue to read these posts from people regarding kids and families they don't know. You make choices for your kids based on what's right for your family, values you live by, etc.... Murphy parents do the same thing.

It's unfair to say that any of the Murphy kids cheat on anything. They are very smart, capable kids who don't need to cheat to be successful. When a public school like Federal Way, Garfield, etc... has multiple kids go D1, I've never heard anyone lessen the fact that they've worked hard for what they've got. These girls deserve your respect, they've earned it. They are extremely smart, beautiful young women who have worked their butts off to get what they've got. Don't cheapen it with your jealousy.

How sad, you have to hide from me in the girls forum to talk about King's. Why are you still talking garbage after you lost. I had no plans to address you guys ever again, until now. I will do it boys forum.

Re: One question...

"As for King's, I fully agree that King's seems to get a free pass when it comes to private schools eating up championships,..."

Ummm....not in girls sports before Colfax dropped...come to think of it, there was a lot less "privates cheat" crap before that too...coincidence?

And soccer? Who cares about soccer? It isn't even a real sport, more of a P.E. pastime. You might as well say they win at wrestling. Oh wait, I don't think religious private schools allow wrestling because of the 'one man one woman' thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT