ADVERTISEMENT

3A 2006 Rankings

Yeah, the championships are also being held at Safeco field this year for 3A and 4A.

I think Mt. Rainier and Peninsula will have something to keep an eye on. Mt. Rainier has a lot of offense even though they lost Burg and both teams are pretty well coached.

The last time someone from the Seamount TRULY made some noise at state... David Riske was pitching for Lindbergh. I don't know alot about Mt Rainier, but Peninsula will not contend for the state crown. They are a good team, but they don't have the "X" factor.

The Seamount is a weak league in general. There might be a gem or two in there, but your league competition will kill you come "showtime". Sorry. The winner of state will come out of either the Mid Valley league, the Kingco or the league up North (sorry, the name is leaving me).

I am not quick to dismiss anyone because of the league they play in.
Mt. Rainier crushed Hanford 24-3 and did the same to West Valley last year in one game of a dh before dropping the next day as the wind carried six HR's out of the park. They still have that 6'5" guy Cochran who is a beast. But one thing, they could hit top to bottom. Highline has some pitching but probably lacks hitting depth. Peninsula is well rounded. You are right about the likes of Renton and Evergreen but everyone has that. Think Metro with O'Dea but you still have Cleveland and W. Seattle, KingCo still has Interlake, MVL Hanford, etc. It is hard to gauge the private schools though like O'Dea, Eaststide Catholic and even Kennedy because talent comes in all the time with "sponsors".

I'm sorry... I just don't agree with your last response. Yes, every league has poor teams... however, Interlake is poor in large part due to the teams they play every day. Hazen, Renton, Washington are simply just poor. The Seamount is flat out, a weak league. The teams that are "average" in this league, are not average in another league... they are below that. I'm not disagreeing that Peninsula and Mt Rainier are good... I believe that they are. However, they are not great AND the fact that they play VERY average (at best) teams all year, will hurt them in the end.

The Kingco 3A is solid almost completely top to bottom. The SPSL is solid almost completely throughout. The Big Nine is solid almost completely throughout. Watch some of the games in these leagues, and you'll see how good you must be to win. It is not that way in the Seamount. Half of the teams in the Seamount might not win a game in the SPSL. Kent Meridian beat Hazen last year in non-league, and they were the WORST team in the HISTORY of the SPSL. They averaged a 10 run loss. Peninsula and Mt Rainier probably wouldn't finish in the top half of the SPSL. Yes, the SPSL is 4A... but still. You talk about Peninsula being well rounded? Stephen Hagen is a very good player... he'd just be one of MANY in the SPSL. Almost every team has a player like Stephen, and some have 2. There isn't such a thing as a true "shut down pitcher" in the SPSL... because the hitting is so good. This whole example might be stretching it a bit, but not that much. My point is... the Seamount is a weak league. Maybe the weakest 3A in the state.

I don't want to lobby to hard for Seamount teams because you are right, there are definitely some soft teams there. I don't think Renton has won a game in 2 or 3 years but Hazen should have handled the likes of K-M but they have their own demons it appears. Mindful Mt. Rainier always plays a tough non-league schedule. Last year they split with West Valley and lost by 2 to Selah after destroying Hanford 24-3. Highline which hasn't been mentioned went to the round of 8 at regionals in 04. I think the District tuornament at 3A West Central in 07 will be interesting. Mt. Rainier has a reputation as a baseball school and will still see White River but add to that Enumclaw who has Federal Way's former coach and good baseball should come from that. Too bad District 2 doesn't have a tournament with Metro and Kingco, instead they split the allocations. Sad. I will argue though, the weakest division in all of Washington is the public schools in Metro. I agree, in the last 5 years KingCo has been the top conference but when you extend to a dozen years you have 3 Seamount schools who have own it all, Lindbergh twice and Kennedy once.

Hanford? Out of the MVL.. what have they done in the past years?? My bets our on Selah or WV because they are 1 2 every year.

They haven't done anything as of "real" lately but they still are the last team out of the mid valley to win the state championship... twice 85 and 87.

Hanford baseball died when Repko left, but they have a new coach who has some experiance and could start turning things around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT